Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/6/2024 9:07:37 PM EDT
A year later the PD calls and wants to return the firearm.

What do you do with it.

Very close family member.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
i'd keep it.

it's just a firearm.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Reconcile to yourself the truth. that it was the person and not the gun.

A gun is a tool. Not anything else.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Take it back and sell it?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Family member I would give the gun away to anyone that wants it.

I wouldn't want it
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Was it my gun to start with? or am I the legal heir to it?  If so, get it, keep it probably - if I'm in the throes of some awful terminal disease, maybe I'll appreciate the irony of checking out with the same gun they did.

I wouldn't blame the inanimate object, nor do I think it would be a "reminder" but can't honestly say for sure - I'd definitely get it from the popo and decide later if I "needed" to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a tool.
Not a big deal.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn’t want it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Speaking from personal experience, I told them to keep it. No interest in a gun with exactly one round fired through it that took a loved one’s life.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The gun had nothing to do with it.  Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: futurerancher] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
i'd keep it.

it's just a firearm.
View Quote

I would either sell it or destroy it unless it was a collectors item. Same as I would a horse who got spooked at bucked somebody in the family off and broke their neck. I just wouldn't want the memory around. There is no right or wrong answer here OP, go with your gut.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#12]
It's hard to know having not experienced that but I think I'd be ok keeping it if it's a model of gun I like.

If it's not a very select few guns I like, it'd get sold.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
keep it or sell it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:
Family member I would give the gun away to anyone that wants it.

I wouldn't want it
View Quote

Yeah. Pretty much this. Someone will take it.

Many years ago, I had an Uncle commit suicide with an gun.

A few years later, another uncle (both by marriage, married to two of my dads sisters) was visiting and was showing us a S&W Model 36. Didnt think much about it. Nothing special, just a run of the mill Model 36.

Then he told us it was the gun the other uncle killed himself with. Didn't seem to bother him, but it was not something I wished to touch anymore.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
Take it back and sell it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:17:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Michaelson] [#16]
i'd keep it.

it's just a firearm.
View Quote

This. I'm sure if they were able they would regret taking their life.

Use it to save a life down the road if you get the chance. Maybe that'll help balance a scale up there for them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I would probably carry it every day as a reminder not to succumb to the darkness.

The police department never offered me my brother's pistol back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Take it back and sell it.

The shotgun that my great grandfather used to blow his head off used to hang in my grandads barn. When my grandad died nobody wanted it. When the house/barn were sold it ended up burning to the ground with the shotgun in it. Was fine with me, I certainly didn't want it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#20]
If he had face planted off his third floor condo, would you just let the city have it?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Not interested in having that gun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#22]
We had a shotgun that my uncle used to end his life. Whether by accident or suicide. Not sure. Anyhow it was just another gun. We used the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
i'd keep it.

it's just a firearm.
View Quote

This, i am a sentimental fool.

Maybe add my own count to it one day.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Gotta follow your gut on that. I have a suicide gun, it was basically stolen by a family member for the express purpose of committing suicide. I really had no intention of getting it back from the sheriff's department, but another family member did, and returned it to me. I'm not sorry they did, it's the first gun I ever bought myself and I still shoot it occasionally. But I totally understand that some people/situations might go the other way.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Thread title sounds like someone non-binary
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I would carve a notch in it and name it after them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Keep it. It's just a piece of inert metal and wood (or plastic), not some haunted phantasm.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Yupik way the guns are disposed of.

Mostly thrown in a river or lake after burning them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Now, when you say "very close to me", does that imply that I like them?

'Cause I have relatives that are theoretically close to me who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VidaEterna] [#30]
My 96 YO former Marine and AF Colonel grandfather decided to end his life on his terms. His biggest concern was having to have someone wipe his mouth after he ate. He was wearing a catheter full time and knew he was becoming delusional and paranoid. He knew it was time. We didn’t see it coming. He had a MBA from SMU, so no dumdum.

I told the police to destroy it or sell it, I didn’t want it. It was a airlite 357 Smith made of scandium. He liked it. He couldn’t believe how much power came out of something so light.

I miss talking guns with him. He was a neat man. I do not agree with his choice for his way out, but I def. understand why.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Are we talking HiPoint or a Wilson Combat?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#32]
My Uncle shot himself with a gun that was previously mine. It was his favorite pistol, and the one he carried the most.

My aunt has chosen to keep it, which I find morbidly odd. When I inherit it, I'll sell it.

I was more pissed that's the one he used, since I'd sent it to CCR before I sold it to him, and the new finish was quite nice.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#33]
My friend owned a range and a lady brought in the SW686 that her boyfriend used to self-terminate after the PD released it to her.
My other buddy who was the RSO, cleaned the blood and skull fragments from it before it was put up for sale.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Take it back. Stick it on the top shelf of a closet. Never touch it again.

That's what we did
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Because it was a suicide, it was low priority.  Therefore it look 10 months for the firearm to be released.

I had documents whereby the police “recognized” me to collect the firearm.  I immediately sold it @ $0.60 / $1.00 at a legitimate FFL.  The family will use the money to support pre-teen athletics.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't like wasting useful things, so sell it or give it away.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:
Reconcile to yourself the truth. that it was the person and not the gun.

A gun is a tool. Not anything else.

View Quote
A tool that every time you see it reminds you.  I'd have to sell it or something.  No way I'm keeping it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:32:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redfish86] [#38]
Originally Posted By pwcb2005:
Snip
View Quote

You should log out and don’t come back for a while.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By steel_buckeye:
Speaking from personal experience, I told them to keep it. No interest in a gun with exactly one round fired through it that took a loved one’s life.
View Quote

I feel sorry that you loved one did that and that you had to experience it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By pwcb2005:
I would carve a notch in it and name it after them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/336822/nikita-mansurov-tbrender-viewport_jpg-3207532.JPG
View Quote

Da fuq?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#41]
My grandmother tried with a 22 short pot metal Saturday night special. She failed to get the job done. S.O. cleared the house and took all the guns. I bought the two she didn't use and they kept the other for evidence. When they released it my cousin wanted it. I don't understand why but I don't really care either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a revolver that my uncle used on himself when I was 2 years old. Just a tool to me. Sweet little shooter actually. I have the original holster and the PD evidence tag. I have no strange feelings attached to it whatsoever.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I believe those of you saying it’s just a tool would change your minds if it was a loved one. My sister shot herself with my dad’s rifle decades ago. He got rid of it as soon as he was able to.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I wouldn't want it...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#45]
1. No idea - hope never to find out.

2. If it were a Hi Point or a Taurus, they can keep it. Disclaimer - I don't own a HP or Taurus.

3. High dollar or collectible (>$1,000), retrieving to keep or sell.

4. In the middle, I think I'd retrieve, but see #1.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#46]
i'd keep it.

it's just a firearm.
View Quote
This

My dad had the gun his brother his brother accidentally killed his brother with and later committed suicide with.

I have it in a safe, mom gave it to me after my father died. Only one of his brothers to live past 40yrs old. All died by suicide, accidental shooting or killed by a cop.

Long time moonshiners that had very sad lives. My Dad was the only one to escape and live a good life for 78yrs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#47]
My dad killed himself with a handgun 18 years ago. A year later, the Sheriff’s Office gave it to me. I put it in my safe and never fired it again. I gave it to a friend 5 years later, and he’s kept it ever since. I don’t believe he’s ever fired it either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Haunted object - gone.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Concentricity:
I have a revolver that my uncle used on himself when I was 2 years old. Just a tool to me. Sweet little shooter actually. I have the original holster and the PD evidence tag. I have no strange feelings attached to it whatsoever.
View Quote
You don't really remember this family member, so...  Kinda makes it different.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I wouldn't want it. Firearms are something I enjoy and would not want one around that would bring back bad memories and emotions.
I would tell LE dept to do what ever they want with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top