Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/9/2024 6:44:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anesvick]
Came full circle last night, had to stop by the old digs for a picture on the way home from work today.  This is where it all happened nearly six years ago.  
Attachment Attached File

For those who have not heard the story, here's a link: https://americanhandgunner.com/our-experts/armed-citizen-rescues-woman-and-child/

I'll start off by saying that I've never questioned whether I did the right thing or not.  He was going to kill her, possibly both of them.  The only people the ever called my actions into question are too ignorant to know better, and stupid enough to enjoy being like that.  

I've heard every good thing over the years, but I never heard anything from the Parties involved.... the mother, Krista, the daughter, Aspen.  They left months after everything happened, and I figured I would never hear from them.  One you all on here had found some info about Krista, that she had taken her own life back in 2021.  I was absolutely gutted when I found out, but at least she had the option to make that choice, instead of some drunk, high asshole making it for her.  My wife and I had worried what had happened to Aspen since though.  She was only 9 at the time.  

I was laying in bed at 9 last night, watching the recap from the F1 Miami race, and I get a text.... I never get texts, its either from Teams for work, or my wife sending me something in Messenger.  I was floored......

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Then my wife proceeded to take over the phone and talked to her for a few hours.  She's doing well, lives with her father now.  She's 15.  I'm so glad to hear shes alright... she's got heart.  Willing to take on someone five times her size with just a T-Ball bat.  

I'm still floored..... Feeling a lot of things I haven't felt in a few years, because I walled that shit off in the cupboard in the corner where it needed to stay.  I wish she still had her mom, but she's still here, and I'll pray for her every night like I do my own kids.  

Just figured I'd come post my thoughts on here.  I owe GD a lot for helping me get through the whole thing, tons of well wishes, PMs, and all kinds of stuff over the years.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:51:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nobody69s] [#1]
Pretty heavy thread OP.
You're a good man.

ETA: Just got done reading the article.
That's gotta be really tough to deal with during and after.
I'm glad you posted this for us who haven't read or heard about it.
My original comment still stands.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The world needs more men like you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I can’t imagine what a flood of emotion that brought up.

You did good. The wolf knocked on your door and you answered like a man. Nobody can change that.

I hope the daughter turns out well. You made a difference in her life.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for sharing that. I remember you telling the story on here before. You did the right thing, glad she reached out to tell you how she is.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember your thread. You saved people and it was the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
Pretty heavy thread OP.
You're a good man.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty heavy thread OP.
You're a good man.
View Quote

Wow, no kidding.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember your story

Good shoot
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sixnine:
The world needs more men like you.
View Quote

Indeed it does.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for your transparency and sharing. Now praying goodness
& mercy will follow you forever
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for doing the right thing sir.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
You did what needed to be done. I remember your original thread.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember the original thread.

It's a nice Paul Harvey.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for sharing.  I remember reading your story in the past.   The update is touching.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zegermanznew] [#16]
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember the thread.

The fact that you still think of that girl today really says something about your character. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure is dusty in here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#19]

It sucked I am sure

But you did the right thing op
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#20]
You're a great man OP.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:30:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Signal_Zero] [#21]
I remember your original thread, OP.  Thanks for posting this!  God bless you, brother, and God bless her too!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#22]
You are a good man, and God used you that day.

I pray He blesses you
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TAG_Match] [#23]
I just recently read about your incident.  This post made me cry.  Glad no one can see me.  You are a good man and did what needed to be done.  I know you didn’t need the validation from Aspen, but you got the best validation you could ever get.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Never doubt you are a good person, and deserve everything good.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Dusty here too.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember your story. You are a hero.

What a brave girl. She's been through some shit. Making the effort to track you down and thank you says a lot about how she's come out of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Excellent update/post OP.  

I remember that thread.

Good on you sir.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#28]
The time chose you. Good to see something positive came of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#29]
God bless you and Aspen. She’s gonna grow up and do great things thanks to you.

Fucken allergies seem to be acting up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Pretty heavy thread OP.
You're a good man.

ETA: Just got done reading the article.
That's gotta be really tough to deal with during and after.
I'm glad you posted this for us who haven't read or heard about it.
My original comment still stands.
View Quote

This x10

And I don’t mean to be snarky or edgy when I say good shoot. If you hadn’t it not only you but that woman and child could very well have died
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#31]
You’re a stand up guy, OP.   Thank you for sharing the texts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Your story and thread are the reason I joined this site. I remember not only being moved by your willingness to share and open up, but the sites eagerness to come around you in support.

You did the right thing, and I hope the validation you received from that little girl will only more firmly cement that fact in your heart.

You’re a good man.

And at the risk of sounding crass, good kill. Speaking of circles, you broke one of abuse and violence in that family that day.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Heavy thread, indeed.

It was cool she reached out to you, OP.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#34]
That's amazing. Good on you,  OP.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember the thread. You’re a good man. Thanks for the update. Wish everyone the best.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I hope that if I am ever faced with a similar decision that I would have your guts, op, but, I won't be that flippant.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Glad she reached out and gave you some reassurance/closure or whatever you want to call it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MallNinja531] [#38]
I remember reading this when it first happened. Very intense. Well done OP, by the book and things went as well as one could realistically hope afterwards. No doubt, you were a hero that day.

ETA: that fact that after this extended length of time she went through the trouble of contacting you shows that day you changed a life for the better and maybe there is hope for the future.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By anesvick:
Came full circle last night, had to stop by the old digs for a picture on the way home from work today.  This is where it all happened nearly six years ago.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249379/PXL_20240509_190526822_jpg-3209819.JPG

For those who have not heard the story, here's a link: https://americanhandgunner.com/our-experts/armed-citizen-rescues-woman-and-child/

I'll start off by saying that I've never questioned whether I did the right thing or not.  He was going to kill her, possibly both of them.  The only people the ever called my actions into question are too ignorant to know better, and stupid enough to enjoy being like that.  

I've heard every good thing over the years, but I never heard anything from the Parties involved.... the mother, Krista, the daughter, Aspen.  They left months after everything happened, and I figured I would never hear from them.  One you all on here had found some info about Krista, that she had taken her own life back in 2021.  I was absolutely gutted when I found out, but at least she had the option to make that choice, instead of some drunk, high asshole making it for her.  My wife and I had worried what had happened to Aspen since though.  She was only 9 at the time.  

I was laying in bed at 9 last night, watching the recap from the F1 Miami race, and I get a text.... I never get texts, its either from Teams for work, or my wife sending me something in Messenger.  I was floored......

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249379/Screenshot_20240509-181112_png-3209826.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249379/Screenshot_20240509-181142_png-3209827.JPG

Then my wife proceeded to take over the phone and talked to her for a few hours.  She's doing well, lives with her father now.  She's 15.  I'm so glad to hear shes alright... she's got heart.  Willing to take on someone five times her size with just a T-Ball bat.  

I'm still floored..... Feeling a lot of things I haven't felt in a few years, because I walled that shit off in the cupboard in the corner where it needed to stay.  I wish she still had her mom, but she's still here, and I'll pray for her every night like I do my own kids.  

Just figured I'd come post my thoughts on here.  I owe GD a lot for helping me get through the whole thing, tons of well wishes, PMs, and all kinds of stuff over the years.  

View Quote

Make sure you keep taking care of yourself in whatever fashion that means.

And thanks for your transparency.   That's some good work.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TRRiverdude:
Sure is dusty in here.
View Quote

Same here.

Tonight was already an emotional (in a good way) night. I'm not going to hijack the thread, but let's just say it was a very good night that gives me cause for hope for the future. I was able to keep it together until just now.

This thread tipped me over the edge.

You're good people, OP. In the right place, at the right time, and you did the right thing when it was asked of you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmw] [#41]
Appreciate you passing on that update ~on top of the original thread and your frank reflections since then.

Wouldn't it be something to know all the good that will come from your changing the course of that terrible event.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Man, been 6 years already. Glad you're doing alright, and glad you got to hear from that little girl, and that shes doing alright.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I remember the original thread and thank you for sharing this update with us.

I'm glad that You,Your family and the young lady are doing well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#44]
You're a good man OP.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the update, OP.  You are a true hero to that girl.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#46]
You did good, you were at the right place at the right time.

I’ve done research and you can find written accounts as far back of Knights with PTSD. Don’t be afraid to talk to a professional.

God bless you sir.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#47]
You saved 2 lives that night. It really sucks you had to take one to do it, but sometimes shitty things need to be done for a good outcome.

I hope and pray that none of us have to ever go through that. But I also hope and pray that if it were to ever happen to any of us, we have the fortitude to do what is necessary to save a life.

You're a good man, OP. And you've earned my respect, for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#48]
What a phenomenal end to a horrible situation. That article was tough - can’t imagine it happening in real time
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I feel like I just watched an intense movie with the best ending ever. A little dusty too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#50]
That young lady needs a Christmas card every year from y’all.

Good job OP.  When tough decisions had to be made, you did the right thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top