Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Subaru WRX (new gen) (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/7/2024 9:44:14 PM EDT
Anyone daily drive one of the new WRXs in manual flavor?

Would like to hear your thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:50:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FerrousDueler] [#1]
Bought a '23 Premium 6 speed in Jan, and have only clocked 800 miles. Nothing really bad to say, but the speakers are terrible (I replaced all the door speakers already)  and the center display isn't the most user friendly. Kind of sucks that it comes with summer UHP tires and not all-season. Sticks like glue and has plenty of mid-range. No Eyesight, No sunroof. The keyless entry is nice, don't even have to use the fob to unlock. Still a few '23s out there and they have 1.9% financing.  '24s are more expensive and they all have Eyesight.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy one now.  It is a perfect car.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The BMW badged Supra not enough for you?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ayada:
The BMW badged Supra not enough for you?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a new 23 near me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I though you were a Beemer guy?

I daily drove a '16 for a couple of years ~25K miles. Long enough to get the desire to ever drive another manual out of my system.
In the end I was only taking it out to drive on the lakes in the winter. That seems to be the only time it's lack of power didn't matter. I unloaded it at the height of the used car craziness.

If I were to revisit that class of vehicle I'd be taking a hard look at a Golf R DSG.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:07:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#7]
Originally Posted By Janus:
I though you were a Beemer guy?

I daily drove a '16 for a couple of years ~25K miles. Long enough to get the desire to ever drive another manual out of my system.
In the end I was only taking it out to drive on the lakes in the winter. That seems to be the only time it's lack of power didn't matter. I unloaded it at the height of the used car craziness.

If I were to revisit that class of vehicle I'd be taking a hard look at a Golf R DSG.
View Quote

I am but exploring a different daily.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:12:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TripleC] [#8]
Have 18k+ miles on mine and its been great.

I'm on every VB WRX group on social media and these cars are solid. Gone are the days of "Muh hEaD gAsKeT" the FA 24 is a way better built motor.

This guys channel https://www.youtube.com/@HeavyMetalWRX  

has the best info on these cars. Check out his Tunner talk series for info on guys that are tuning these cars.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
This is very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Graham from Boosted performance.

2022 WRX Protuner Interview // Ep. 1 // Boosted Performance Tuning #2022wrx #subaru #wrx #tunertalk

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TripleC:

I'm on every VB WRX group on social media and these cars are solid. Gone are the days of "Muh hEaD gAsKeT" the FA 24 is a way better built motor.

has the best info on these cars. Check out his Tunner talk series for info on guys that are tuning these cars.

View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine is tuned on e85 and i love to show scatpacks the tune. They don't love it as much as I do.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By topgunshooter:
Mine is tuned on e85 and i love to show scatpacks the tune. They don't love it as much as I do.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a '23 Premium with almost 17k miles on it. There's really nothing I dislike about it. It has good power, gets decent fuel mileage, & is fun to drive. Currently averaging 30.3 mpg on the display over the last few thousand miles.

I think the stereo sounds good. With non-compressed music, I have to turn it down after awhile. To my ears, it borders on painful levels. If you're listening to satellite radio, the signal quality suffers before you get to that volume level.

The seats are reasonably comfortable, but you certainly don't feel like you're sitting in a luxury automobile.

I haven't had any mechanical trouble with it at all. Once or twice the audio stopped playing in the front speakers after verbalizing a destination into Waze, but it resumed normal operation after a restart. That's the only trouble I've had with it.

I will likely get another one to replace this one when the time comes. I don't mind that the new ones have Eyesight. I've had manual Hondas and Toyotas that had adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, & emergency braking, and it works fine. I will test drive a Corolla GR if they become more readily available, but the interior in the WRX is way better than a Corolla.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#15]
I bought a new 2023 WRX in 'Limited' trim in early February. The Limited has the good stereo, 11.6" screen with Navigation (not going to rely only on a cell phone), sunroof, heated seats, blind spot monitoring and cross traffic (back/side) radar, and maybe a few other things. A little over 1100 miles on it now. I also got the STi short-throw shifter, trunk liner and weather tech mats. It was already on a dealer lot (that was not convenient for me) with everything but the short-throw shifter, so they added that for me at the local conveniently located dealer who was able to trade the other dealer for it.

I love driving this car. Am still being gentle with it, but it is definitely fun. The suspension is VERY firm, but high speed compression damping is well sorted so it is not jarring, but still it will be too stiff for a lot of people.

Go drive one and see if you like it. If they have a used on one the lot for you to drive, that would be good because it would be off break-in restrictions.

ETA: I had the OEM summer tires removed and am storing them in my shed for now. Had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires put on because running summer tires in New England in February is pants-on-head retarded
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
View Quote

LOL.

- V6 power
- V8 fuel economy
- detuned Ascent motor with 12psi and 6k RPM redline
- hideous black plastic cladding

Subaru really half-assed the current gen WRX so they could slow roll refreshes until ICE goes away.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Why not a Golf R or GTI???

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Of the different groups that you're in on social media, which do you find to be the most useful?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:13:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stringburner] [#19]
Originally Posted By Emoto: ETA: I had the OEM summer tires removed and am storing them in my shed for now. Had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires put on because running summer tires in New England in February is pants-on-head retarded
View Quote

I went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+, & noticed the ride softened considerably over the OEM tires.  The sidewalls on the stock Dunlops are crazy stiff. I helped dismount and mount the new tires, & the Dunlops were a bitch to get started off the rims.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Well the Geese just put this out.

2024 Subaru WRX TR | This is a Good One

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:
Why not a Golf R or GTI???

View Quote

Golf R's are unobtainium and the current gen has those shitty capacitive buttons all over the steering wheel and interior.  The next gen Golf R reverts to mechanical buttons but loses the manual transmission.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GTwannabe:

Golf R's are unobtainium and the current gen has those shitty capacitive buttons all over the steering wheel and interior.  The next gen Golf R reverts to mechanical buttons but loses the manual transmission.
View Quote

I was shocked to see a R on the dealer lot the other day. But after sitting in a GTI at the auto show the touch capacitive buttons are an instant no for me.

I know some people get used to them but it’s not for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I'm sure it's fun enough but it looks like just about every other dumpy little shitbox out there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQNKatoWFw
View Quote

Holy crap, they actually sort of liked it. They must be getting soft in their old age.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Is that the model they inexplicably made without Subaru's legendary and unbeatable awd?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SS65:
Is that the model they inexplicably made without Subaru's legendary and unbeatable awd?
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerranger61007] [#28]
View Quote

The WRX?  It has AWD, just not the system in the STi (LSDs, not sure of details, not a Subi person).

BRZ is only Subi without AWD. It's a collaboration with Toyota and an amazing cheap RWD sports car. AWD would ruin that car.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:

The WRX?  It has AWD, just not the system in the STi (LSDs, not sure of details, not a Subi person).

BRZ is only Subi without AWD. It's a collaboration with Toyota and an amazing cheap RWD sports car. AWD would ruin that car.
View Quote
Thanks! Never understood the thinking behind a non-awd Subaru. Have heard great stuff about the WRX's
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By stringburner:

Holy crap, they actually sort of liked it. They must be getting soft in their old age.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stringburner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQNKatoWFw

It is the TR which fixes some of their complaints (brakes, suspension) and they skip a lot of the others by referencing their previous video.

It does deserve praise in the current market at the lower trim levels ($32-$34k), but the proposition starts to fall apart in the mid $40’s.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#31]
A used 330i is the only thing I’ve enjoyed more. Followed by the Civic Si. The WRX is just fun.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By hhsmiley:

I'm sure it's fun enough but it looks like just about every other dumpy little shitbox out there.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hhsmiley:

And that's totally fine.

It's a $30k compact sedan with good AWD, manual trans, and a turbo. That's all it is, and all it needs to be.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
And that's totally fine.

It's a $30k compact sedan with good AWD, manual trans, and a turbo. That's all it is, and all it needs to be.
View Quote

And it corners like crazy. Really handles well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks! Never understood the thinking behind a non-awd Subaru. Have heard great stuff about the WRX's
View Quote

Brz was a cheap RWD sports car made in partnership with Toyota, it certainly was hitting a different market segment than those buying a Forester. Arguably even a different market than the WRX even, although as performance-ish cars they did tend to pull people from their respective groups.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TripleC] [#35]
Dyno test. Show that just with an OTS tune on a stock car went 0-60 in 4.6.

2022 WRX- Stage 1 No Nonsense Tuning Results- Impressive Gains, Minimal Mods!

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Awful gas mileage for econo box but AWD and insane tuning potential.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:35:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bogdan] [#38]

That's miata you fool. You need a vape meme for subaru.
Although older homos go for miatas and younger catboy twink  types do tend to favor subarus and vws
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
Perception of perfection is the flaw
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Two different AWD systems whether manual (VCU) or CVT (VTD). Recent WRX FR and RR diffs are open. VDC is used to transfer laterally. No Snow or Xmode, so not aggressively intrusive, which makes sense given the character of the vehicle, but the electronic intercessions are relatively decent  in maintaining traction, control and stability.  

FWIW most markets Subie is AWD centric. In Japan and other markets, Justy, Crosstrek, Impreza, Rex are all available or solely 2WD.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I guess it'd be fun if you could get it to 400 AWHP. I sorta like the look of em but you need a big ass wing on the back and lip with canards on the front. Also ground LED kit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Get back to me when they bring the bubble butt wagon out.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Dyno test. Show that just with an OTS tune on a stock car went 0-60 in 4.6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOhDxXNU6SE
View Quote
To be fair tuned f150s do that too
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:40:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#44]
Originally Posted By EvoXGunner:
I guess it'd be fun if you could get it to 400 AWHP. I sorta like the look of em but you need a big ass wing on the back and lip with canards on the front. Also ground LED kit.
View Quote

I dislike the wings and the rest of the add-on plastic BS, but I've seen a reported 650 HP on the current model with certain mods. The VB generation seems to respond well to tuning. We will see how that affects longevity.

I will leave mine stock for at least the warranty period. The car is fairly entertaining as it comes from the factory. I think it is more fun to push a slower car to go fast than it is to drive a faster car slow. I have owned a VERY fast car in the past, and it is more of an exercise in frustration due to not really being able to open it up very often.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Moleonlobby:
Get back to me when they bring the bubble butt wagon out.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

This?

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

Although older homos go for miatas and younger catboy twink  types do tend to favor subarus and vws
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

Say what?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#47]

The wagon is available in some of the other markets, although not with a manual transmission.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#48]
So I moved on from this after realizing my X3 M40i is already the perfect daily driver. Sporty, can haul shit, can tow 4500 pounds. That was after looking at the one locally.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#49]
So I moved on from this after realizing my X3 M40i is already the perfect daily driver. Sporty, can haul shit, can tow 4500 pounds. That was after looking at the one locally.
View Quote

Well, yeah. Completely different league.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Totally different animal. But, hey, if you like what you have and it meets your needs, that's great!

I will say, though, that I would not own any German vehicle once it was out of warranty.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Subaru WRX (new gen) (Page 1 of 4)
Top Top