Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2024 8:23:46 PM EDT
https://ij.org/press-release/property-owners-win-again-tennessee-appeals-court-affirms-that-warrantless-searches-by-game-wardens-are-unconstitutional/

JACKSON, Tenn.—Last week, the Court of Appeals of Tennessee at Jackson affirmed that the Tennessee Constitution bars game wardens from conducting warrantless searches of private property. The ruling upholds a circuit court victory for Benton County landowners Terry Rainwaters and Hunter Hollingsworth. Terry and Hunter sued with the Institute for Justice (IJ) after the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) ignored their “No Trespassing” signs by entering and installing cameras on their land. The victory applies broadly to all private land Tennesseans have put to “actual use,” whether by fencing, farming, posting, gating, hunting, fishing, camping, or otherwise.

“This decision is a massive win for property rights in Tennessee,” said IJ Attorney and Elfie Gallun Fellow in Freedom and the Constitution Joshua Windham. “TWRA claimed unfettered power to put on full camouflage, invade people’s land, roam around as it pleases, take photos, record videos, sift through ponds, spy on people from behind bushes—all without consent, a warrant, or any meaningful limits on their power. This decision confirms that granting state officials unfettered power to invade private land is anathema to Tennesseans’ most basic constitutional rights.”

Judge Jeffrey Usman wrote for the unanimous Court of Appeals that “TWRA’s contention is a disturbing assertion of power on behalf of the government that stands contrary to the foundations of the search protections against arbitrary governmental intrusions in the American legal tradition, generally, and in [Article I, Section 7 of the Tennessee Constitution], specifically.” Usman noted that TWRA’s argument could be compared to warrantless searches conducted by British authorities that motived the American Revolution. Usman also rejected the idea that rural Tennesseans deserve any less protection against government intrusion than people in urban areas, explaining that the “Tennessee Constitution does not disfavor actual uses [of property] more commonly associated with rural areas.”

“This decision has been a long time coming,” said Terry Rainwaters. “For too long, TWRA officers have treated my private land like public property. But in Tennessee, our land means something to us. It’s part of who we are. And to hear the court say that our land deserves protection from TWRA’s warrantless intrusions makes me proud to be a Tennessean.”

“TWRA’s abuse of power had to stop,” said Hunter Hollingsworth. “For as long as I can remember, these officers have acted like a law unto themselves. But nobody—not even a game warden—is above the Constitution, and yesterday’s decision makes that crystal clear. I’d like to thank the Institute for Justice for helping us fight this battle for so many years, and my local attorney Jack Leonard, who has been by my side on this case since day one.”

TWRA thought that its warrantless searches were legal under the century-old federal “open fields” doctrine. In 1924, the U.S. Supreme Court held that the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution does not protect any land beyond the home and its immediately surrounding area. The Court reaffirmed the doctrine in 1984 when it held that property owners have no “reasonable expectation of privacy” on any land the Court deems to be an “open field”—a broad category that, according to a new IJ study, includes about 96% of all land nationwide and at least 92% of land in Tennessee specifically.

“Fortunately, the Tennessee Constitution provides greater protection than what the U.S. Supreme Court currently says about the Fourth Amendment,” said IJ Senior Attorney Robert Frommer. “The Tennessee Constitution, like several other state constitutions, protects ‘possessions’ from ‘unreasonable searches.’ The term ‘possessions’ plainly covers private land, and it’s heartening to see the Court of Appeals reject the federal rule and reaffirm Tennesseans’ cherished right to be secure on that land.”

In addition to declaring TWRA’s warrantless searches unconstitutional, the court upheld Terry’s and Hunter’s request for $1 in damages as compensation for the violation of their state constitutional rights. TWRA now has 60 days to appeal the decision to the Tennessee Supreme Court.

The case is another major victory for IJ’s Project on the Fourth Amendment, which strives to protect one of our foundational property rights: the right to be secure from unreasonable searches and seizures. IJ is currently defending landowners’ rights to be secure from similar warrantless intrusions in Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, with the Pennsylvania Supreme Court likely to hear argument later this year.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
This needs to be done nationwide.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
This ruling is gonna hurt some feelz.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By retiredmsgt:
View Quote

Hell yeah it does
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally, please come to my state soon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh - they'll still do it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
$1 suit to prove a MASSIVE POINT
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a big deal. It really is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Good ruling.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Good! Why they ever thought that the Constitution didn't apply to them is beyond me. The fact that they were breaking the law only proved that we need the Constitution to protect us from the government not it from us.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Thoughtcrime:
View Quote

I’m o.k. with that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Better late than never...

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Good.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Water cops and game wardens need rolled back a few notches.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
View Quote

Grouper troopers are the most feared group of law enforcement in Florida.
They can point a finger at you and they OWN you. I've never been able to understand their scope of power, and how they take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Now do the Coast Guard and Wildlife when they board US citizens' boats  

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Good. Crooked game wardens ruined bird hunting for me as a kid.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
View Quote

Are complete sentences too costly where you are?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By retiredmsgt:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Institute for Justice is a damn good bunch.

They've taken a bunch of cases to the SCOTUS, including Kelo v. New London.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Good, let the butthurt flow through them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Next do “It’s MY property! Stay the fuck off! (And that means YOU, Mr. Game Warden.”
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:
Next do “It’s MY property! Stay the fuck off! (And that means YOU, Mr. Game Warden.”
View Quote

Things that make you think "no shit, why do we have to go through courts for this?"

If you can't keep government agents without a warrant off, you don't have any rights.  Fuck them acting like thugs and criminals.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#25]
FPNI!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Drone sales to fish and game departments will skyrocket.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#27]
fpni and in before fish cops are good cops like the regular cops.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Markypie:
View Quote

Is there an exception to where they don’t need pilots licenses?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Grouper troopers are the most feared group of law enforcement in Florida.
They can point a finger at you and they OWN you. I've never been able to understand their scope of power, and how they take advantage of it.
View Quote

just like the stone crab and lobsta cops.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

So will 1oz pyramid weights and 60lb test line and surf rods.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Is there an exception to where they don’t need pilots licenses?
View Quote

Probably.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

We need to stop that as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Way past time for that. Next get rid of qualified immunity so the possum police can enjoy the penalties when they disregard the law and do what they want anyway.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Is there an exception to where they don't need pilots licenses?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is there an exception to where they don't need pilots licenses?
Nor do they need a warrant, so no 4th amendment protections. That only applies to the gov in criminal proceedings.

But they can turn over the civil finding to another party to get a warrant for criminal charges.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#35]
About damn time. TWRA has been allowed to do as they please for a long time. They placed decoy deer on our dairy farm numerous times even though we had Posted No Trespassing signs all the way around our 280 acres.
Dad went and picked up one of the mechanical deer and took it into our basement. Game warden had to take dad to court to try and get it returned. County Judge sided with my dad. TWRA ended up having to buy it back. And repair fencing the agents had fucked up climbing back and forth.

I ended up getting pulled over a lot during the subsequent  deer seasons to check for a loaded rifle as I was suspected of "road hunting".
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#36]
mind if i check your cooler?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:
https://ij.org/press-release/property-owners-win-again-tennessee-appeals-court-affirms-that-warrantless-searches-by-game-wardens-are-unconstitutional/

JACKSON, Tenn.—Last week, the Court of Appeals of Tennessee at Jackson affirmed that the Tennessee Constitution bars game wardens from conducting warrantless searches of private property. The ruling upholds a circuit court victory for Benton County landowners Terry Rainwaters and Hunter Hollingsworth. Terry and Hunter sued with the Institute for Justice (IJ) after the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) ignored their “No Trespassing” signs by entering and installing cameras on their land. The victory applies broadly to all private land Tennesseans have put to “actual use,” whether by fencing, farming, posting, gating, hunting, fishing, camping, or otherwise.

“This decision is a massive win for property rights in Tennessee,” said IJ Attorney and Elfie Gallun Fellow in Freedom and the Constitution Joshua Windham. “TWRA claimed unfettered power to put on full camouflage, invade people’s land, roam around as it pleases, take photos, record videos, sift through ponds, spy on people from behind bushes—all without consent, a warrant, or any meaningful limits on their power. This decision confirms that granting state officials unfettered power to invade private land is anathema to Tennesseans’ most basic constitutional rights.”

Judge Jeffrey Usman wrote for the unanimous Court of Appeals that “TWRA’s contention is a disturbing assertion of power on behalf of the government that stands contrary to the foundations of the search protections against arbitrary governmental intrusions in the American legal tradition, generally, and in [Article I, Section 7 of the Tennessee Constitution], specifically.” Usman noted that TWRA’s argument could be compared to warrantless searches conducted by British authorities that motived the American Revolution. Usman also rejected the idea that rural Tennesseans deserve any less protection against government intrusion than people in urban areas, explaining that the “Tennessee Constitution does not disfavor actual uses [of property] more commonly associated with rural areas.”

“This decision has been a long time coming,” said Terry Rainwaters. “For too long, TWRA officers have treated my private land like public property. But in Tennessee, our land means something to us. It’s part of who we are. And to hear the court say that our land deserves protection from TWRA’s warrantless intrusions makes me proud to be a Tennessean.”

“TWRA’s abuse of power had to stop,” said Hunter Hollingsworth. “For as long as I can remember, these officers have acted like a law unto themselves. But nobody—not even a game warden—is above the Constitution, and yesterday’s decision makes that crystal clear. I’d like to thank the Institute for Justice for helping us fight this battle for so many years, and my local attorney Jack Leonard, who has been by my side on this case since day one.”

TWRA thought that its warrantless searches were legal under the century-old federal “open fields” doctrine. In 1924, the U.S. Supreme Court held that the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution does not protect any land beyond the home and its immediately surrounding area. The Court reaffirmed the doctrine in 1984 when it held that property owners have no “reasonable expectation of privacy” on any land the Court deems to be an “open field”—a broad category that, according to a new IJ study, includes about 96% of all land nationwide and at least 92% of land in Tennessee specifically.

“Fortunately, the Tennessee Constitution provides greater protection than what the U.S. Supreme Court currently says about the Fourth Amendment,” said IJ Senior Attorney Robert Frommer. “The Tennessee Constitution, like several other state constitutions, protects ‘possessions’ from ‘unreasonable searches.’ The term ‘possessions’ plainly covers private land, and it’s heartening to see the Court of Appeals reject the federal rule and reaffirm Tennesseans’ cherished right to be secure on that land.”

In addition to declaring TWRA’s warrantless searches unconstitutional, the court upheld Terry’s and Hunter’s request for $1 in damages as compensation for the violation of their state constitutional rights. TWRA now has 60 days to appeal the decision to the Tennessee Supreme Court.

The case is another major victory for IJ’s Project on the Fourth Amendment, which strives to protect one of our foundational property rights: the right to be secure from unreasonable searches and seizures. IJ is currently defending landowners’ rights to be secure from similar warrantless intrusions in Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, with the Pennsylvania Supreme Court likely to hear argument later this year.

View Quote
View Quote

Lets do the Coast Guard next, fucking assholes checking if I have a fire extinguisher or flares that are still in date.... I have 20 years of flares that still work that are out of date by 17 years.

No search warrant? Get the fuck off my boat.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

JACKSON, Tenn. Last week, the Court of Appeals of Tennessee at Jackson affirmed that the Tennessee Constitution bars game wardens from conducting warrantless searches of private property. The ruling upholds a circuit court victory for Benton County landowners Terry Rainwaters and Hunter Hollingsworth. Terry and Hunter sued with the Institute for Justice (IJ) after the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) ignored their "No Trespassing" signs by entering and installing cameras on their land. The victory applies broadly to all private land Tennesseans have put to "actual use," whether by fencing, farming, posting, gating, hunting, fishing, camping, or otherwise.

"This decision is a massive win for property rights in Tennessee," said IJ Attorney and Elfie Gallun Fellow in Freedom and the Constitution Joshua Windham. "TWRA claimed unfettered power to put on full camouflage, invade people's land, roam around as it pleases, take photos, record videos, sift through ponds, spy on people from behind bushes all without consent, a warrant, or any meaningful limits on their power. This decision confirms that granting state officials unfettered power to invade private land is anathema to Tennesseans' most basic constitutional rights."

Judge Jeffrey Usman wrote for the unanimous Court of Appeals that "TWRA's contention is a disturbing assertion of power on behalf of the government that stands contrary to the foundations of the search protections against arbitrary governmental intrusions in the American legal tradition, generally, and in [Article I, Section 7 of the Tennessee Constitution], specifically." Usman noted that TWRA's argument could be compared to warrantless searches conducted by British authorities that motived the American Revolution. Usman also rejected the idea that rural Tennesseans deserve any less protection against government intrusion than people in urban areas, explaining that the "Tennessee Constitution does not disfavor actual uses [of property] more commonly associated with rural areas."

"This decision has been a long time coming," said Terry Rainwaters. "For too long, TWRA officers have treated my private land like public property. But in Tennessee, our land means something to us. It's part of who we are. And to hear the court say that our land deserves protection from TWRA's warrantless intrusions makes me proud to be a Tennessean."

"TWRA's abuse of power had to stop," said Hunter Hollingsworth. "For as long as I can remember, these officers have acted like a law unto themselves. But nobody not even a game warden is above the Constitution, and yesterday's decision makes that crystal clear. I'd like to thank the Institute for Justice for helping us fight this battle for so many years, and my local attorney Jack Leonard, who has been by my side on this case since day one."

TWRA thought that its warrantless searches were legal under the century-old federal "open fields" doctrine. In 1924, the U.S. Supreme Court held that the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution does not protect any land beyond the home and its immediately surrounding area. The Court reaffirmed the doctrine in 1984 when it held that property owners have no "reasonable expectation of privacy" on any land the Court deems to be an "open field" a broad category that, according to a new IJ study, includes about 96% of all land nationwide and at least 92% of land in Tennessee specifically.

"Fortunately, the Tennessee Constitution provides greater protection than what the U.S. Supreme Court currently says about the Fourth Amendment," said IJ Senior Attorney Robert Frommer. "The Tennessee Constitution, like several other state constitutions, protects 'possessions' from 'unreasonable searches.' The term 'possessions' plainly covers private land, and it's heartening to see the Court of Appeals reject the federal rule and reaffirm Tennesseans' cherished right to be secure on that land."

In addition to declaring TWRA's warrantless searches unconstitutional, the court upheld Terry's and Hunter's request for $1 in damages as compensation for the violation of their state constitutional rights. TWRA now has 60 days to appeal the decision to the Tennessee Supreme Court.

The case is another major victory for IJ's Project on the Fourth Amendment, which strives to protect one of our foundational property rights: the right to be secure from unreasonable searches and seizures. IJ is currently defending landowners' rights to be secure from similar warrantless intrusions in Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, with the Pennsylvania Supreme Court likely to hear argument later this year.

View Quote

View Quote
Finally!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#39]
good
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
Good ruling.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Claude Dallas Thread?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck the twig pigs.

Growing up, I wanted to be one.
I thought I'd be running around the woods, chasing bad guys and helping the needy.

I went on a ridealong with a DNR officer.
He took pleasure in confiscating butchered venison from a poor family while I tagged along.

He then tossed the meat in the trash behind Zup's.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Good, very good. A glorious day for the Liberty of the Citizens of Tennessee. As others have said, make freedom from fish tyranny reign nation wide. Do the Coast Guard as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:18:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#44]
Originally Posted By TruckinAR:

View Quote

Good luck with that! The U.S.C.G. is very clearly defined. If you are a U.S. vessel or if there is a treati with another nation state you can pretty much be boarded at any time. Sometimes your state department gets a heads up beforehand.

C.G. for domestic boaters is similar to state troopers/ Highway patrol. They can suspend your travel at any point until they ascertain your intentions and take their terserly search. And a brief visual inventory search of the vessel. If such visual evidence is noted and can be documented and substantiated. A more investigative search can be warranted. Believe, me you got both sides on both sides of the line. And by that I mean Joe Blow just punching a clock and small dicked short MOFO's that live to put their boot on the publics neck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TruckinAR:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Not by anyone here on this board.

The people who's feelings it hurts should embrace the pain. They are wrong to support it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Good ruling...
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Smurgeon:
Claude Dallas Thread?
View Quote

I understand this post, I know a guy that used to know Claude Dallas very well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#50]

We were fishing Mobile Bay and it was a dead day for the Fish police and the Coast Guard.

So, we were easy targets when they rolled up for an inspection.

We're fishing in a boat owned by a friend of a friend and he tells the coast guard that if they board his boat we'd be over the person limit of the boat, lol.

Coast Guard was like that's ok I'm wearing my life preserver. We passed the inspection just fine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top