Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2024 10:09:36 AM EDT
I am heading down the road to procuring an ankle holster for a Glock 30.
back up weapon / sometimes primary weapon

What have you tried?
What do you like?

Any general information about ankle carry is appreciated
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:40:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#1]
The holsters with fur on the inside are the most comfortable.

Skinny leg high water pants do not work with ankle carry.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Holster built into the top of my Dehner "Tanker" boots for J frame Smith or Colt Govt .380.  Would never try to carry a watermellon on my leg.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:51:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#3]
I carried a few different weapons in ankle holsters while I was LEO in uniform (sometimes in plain clothes).  The last pistol I ankle carried was a Glock 27.3 and it was the most challenging because of the size and weight.   I used a Fobus Kydex ankle holster above my Rocky boots and occasionally while wearing uniform shoes on my ankle.   I wouldn’t try a Glock 30 in an ankle holster but your physical size makes a difference.   I had previously carried Walther PPKs, PPK in a leather Galco ankle glove holster which was reasonably comfortable but hot because of the wool padding.   I have also carried a Kel-Tec P-11 in an Uncle Mike’s nylon ankle holster when I was issued a S&W 5904.

I liked that the Glock 27 used the same magazine as my Glock 22 and the Kel-Tec P-11 would accept my 5904 mags.   Today if I was still working I’d carry my Glock 42 or Glock 43.  I always carried a spare magazine in my uniform shirt pocket when I carried the Walther 380 PPKs or PPK.  Any ankle holster is a compromise and there is a good likelihood the pistol can come out of the ankle holster in a physical confrontation.

One Agency I worked for had zippered uniform shirts which made small pistols popular attached to body armor.   With my build this really never worked as well for me.   I had a Friend who always carried a BUG in a Jack Ass shoulder holster under his uniform shirt or in the winter under his uniform jacket.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and department policy might dictate your options.   I felt more need for a BUG when I carried a revolver with two spare speed loaders.   When I started carrying the Glock 22 I wasn’t as concerned about having a BUG.  By this time I had more street experience and had quick access to a 12 gauge or AR-15.

Many times I carried a BUG because the person riding with me was unarmed.   I actually gave my BUG to an off duty officer a couple times when they were unarmed.   Having a BUG in the same caliber which used the same mag was nice but not mandatory.   If given a choice I’d rather have my Glock 42 than no backup gun.    Any BUG will likely not be quite as accessible as the primary duty weapon but still requires weapon retention.   I liked how a ankle holster BUG was easily accessible while seated.    Remember the larger the BUG in an ankle holster the greater the movement when running or in other physical activities.   I think a Glock 43 or P365 would be a good compromise.   Remember any handgun is an emergency tool and given the opportunity always have a long gun if the situation warrants.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Never ankle carried a G30. But a G26, G43, and S&W 340PD.

Definitely go with the Galco Ankle Glove, best ankle holster for all day wear.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:
Never ankle carried a G30. But a G26, G43, and S&W 340PD.

Definitely go with the Galco Ankle Glove, best ankle holster for all day wear.
View Quote

Another vote for Galco Ankle Glove.  Probably the most accessible good quality ankle holster.   Pair it with an ankle wallet for the other leg (spare mag and knife) to help prevent pimp walk.  G30 seems...large for the ankle.  G43 ought to be livable.    My set up is for the Sig P290rs.  It predates me owning any Glocks.  Works well with HK lem as far a keeping a similar trigger to primary.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I once tried a P239 on the ankle for about 10 minutes but too big and heavy which is what I see when I look at a G30. Airweight snubbies and LCP sized semiautomatics are the best.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of gun for the ankle but it might improve your kicks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I carried a model 13 with a 2 inch model 10 barrel for a number of years on my ankle.  It was very heavy but it secured around my boots and under my uniform pants fine or so I thought.  One day during a foot pursuit I was chasing a guy through some yards and out onto the street.  It came undone and went sliding down the street.  I stopped to get it and lost the dude.  An important thing is pants hang up.  You might need to get to it sitting and the curve of a revolver will work better than the grip of an auto if you need to raise your pant leg and grab it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve known guys that did when we carried G21s ankle gloves are good best I ever tried was a Fobus kydex but that’s even bulkier.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
[b]Originally Posted By Mindless:[/  
Would never try to carry a watermellon on my leg.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:13:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#12]
This is what you want.  Lou Alessi's original. (There are lots of copies out there, buy this one.)

https://www.ritchieholsters.com/catalog/p-100011/ankle

I carried a Glock 19 on the ankle in one of these for years; extremely comfortable and secure.

Will it take a little getting used to? Yes. Does it take frequent practice for a smooth draw? Yes. Do you need to practice regularly? Yes.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
looking at other options
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#14]
g30 has been my carry for decades..i cant imagine one on my ankle..good luck
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:56:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve worked plainclothes and UC 24 of my 28 years in a big city.

By BUG is usually a S&W 342 AirLite with 135gr +P Gold Dot

I use a 5 Shot Leather ankle rig that rests on top of a typical Keen or Merrel hiking boot.

Can’t imagine using a G30 for size or weight especially running but you do you…

In uniform I used a G27 hooked to my vest under my shirt to back my holstered G22.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the Alien Gear ShapeShift ankle holster which I use at times to carry my G42 as my BUG.  I feel its the best and most secure ankle holster on the market.

https://aliengearholsters.com/holsters.html/concealed-carry-holsters/ankle-gun-holsters.html
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jack19:
This is what you want.  Lou Alessi's original. (There are lots of copies out there, buy this one.)

https://www.ritchieholsters.com/catalog/p-100011/ankle

I carried a Glock 19 on the ankle in one of these for years; extremely comfortable and secure.

Will it take a little getting used to? Yes. Does it take frequent practice for a smooth draw? Yes. Do you need to practice regularly? Yes.

https://www.ritchieholsters.com/content/images/ankle.jpg
View Quote

I will second everything said here. Skip Ritchie makes first class holsters and is a great guy I know personally. The 30 is definitely a lot of gun to put on an ankle. I used an original Alessi for a few decades with a J frame, great gear. When I moved from WNY to AZ my out of work wardrobe changed to shorts 90% of the time, so ankle holsters were out.
Top Top