Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/10/2024 12:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Strela]
Haven't been there in about 15 years. Will mostly be in Lake County, but will probably go to Cleveland for a day. I have a TX LTC and I believe OH has constitutional carry. Are there any local laws I need to be aware of? Texas doesn't have that problem.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#1]
Ohio now has state preemption of all gun laws, local gun laws are null and void except for zoning.  Some public places, e.g., parks, may have "no guns allowed" signs that are legally unenforceable but it's hard to know with 100% certainty unless you're a local.

As far as state gun laws go, carrying a gun concealed applies only to handguns, nothing else.  If you're asked by a LEO, e.g., during a traffic stop, if you're carrying any guns you have to answer.  If all you are bringing is a handgun that's about all you need to know, if you're bringing anything else there's more to say.

Some info about Ohio permitless carry:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Answers-to-Common-Questions-about-Ohio-s-New-Permitless-Carry-Law-by-Dean-Rieck-at-Buckeye-Firearms/12-661594/
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep ww are pretty easy to get along with.

Was coming here to post this to a traveling to Ohio thread anyways. Enjoy your stay.

https://america250-ohio.org/trails-and-tales/
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought that the way our constitutional carry was written states that it only applies to residents?

Unless it changed? Legaleese isn't my best language, but that's how it was explained to me,
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CJ47:
I thought that the way our constitutional carry was written states that it only applies to residents?

Unless it changed? Legaleese isn't my best language, but that's how it was explained to me,
View Quote

There is no residency requirement for carrying a handgun in any manner.  See the BFA FAQ linked above.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Concealed is concealed.  Carry everywhere while you’re here
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Big city governments (Cleveland etc) hate it but Ohio gun laws are statewide.

Enjoy your visit
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:
Ohio now has state preemption of all gun laws, local gun laws are null and void except for zoning.  Some public places, e.g., parks, may have "no guns allowed" signs that are legally unenforceable but it's hard to know with 100% certainty unless you're a local.

As far as state gun laws go, carrying a gun concealed applies only to handguns, nothing else.  If you're asked by a LEO, e.g., during a traffic stop, if you're carrying any guns you have to answer.  If all you are bringing is a handgun that's about all you need to know, if you're bringing anything else there's more to say.

Some info about Ohio permitless carry:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Answers-to-Common-Questions-about-Ohio-s-New-Permitless-Carry-Law-by-Dean-Rieck-at-Buckeye-Firearms/12-661594/
View Quote

Handgun only, no long guns. Despite the permitless carry I always renew my Texas LTC. When I'm buying a gun here the no background check feature is nice.

It will be nice to visit some of the old haunts, but I don't think I'll check out the area where I lived as a pre-schooler. Five Points (Collinwood.) 128th and St. Clair before we moved to the suburbs.

I'm guessing the area has changed a bit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Strela:

Handgun only, no long guns. Despite the permitless carry I always renew my Texas LTC. When I'm buying a gun here the no background check feature is nice.

It will be nice to visit some of the old haunts, but I don't think I'll check out the area where I lived as a pre-schooler. Five Points (Collinwood.) 128th and St. Clair before we moved to the suburbs.

View Quote

Pat Dailey - Get Your Ass To Cleveland

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By hbilly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRh4_spOEY

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hbilly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRh4_spOEY

Gotta admit I miss some old school Frankie Yankovic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
You can hear Julida in the background of this one

Hoolihan and Big Chuck - Dueling Accordions

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By shotar:

Incorrect. It applies to anyone who can legally own a handgun.
View Quote

Sweet. Thanks for the clarification
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Yeah - don't go anywhere near 128th and St. Clair.  There is a small section of Waterloo / Nottingham that is okay, but nothing worth going out of your way for.  185th has seen some updates, too, but i never go over there on my own time.  I worked that area for a couple of years, up until early 2019.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought the duty to notify went away?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By shotar:

Must notify if asked.
View Quote

OK. I was thinking of the requirement to notify in any encounter with a LEO upfront.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:55:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#18]
Originally Posted By 549:
OK. I was thinking of the requirement to notify in any encounter with a LEO upfront.
View Quote

That's "duty to notify" and no longer the law, it was changed to "must notify if asked".
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
HOWDY, Brother!

you're lovin' Frankie Yankovic and "Cleveland-Style" Polkas? MAN! You're 100% GTG with this Fleet Street "Seasoned Citizen!"

PS
We were down your way looking to buy place in Grayson County, Texas--the Good Lord had other plans for us...

I sure do miss Texas....Hill Country, Big Piney Woods, Panhandle--you name it!

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#20]
as large as texas is, my perception is that ohio has more public land to roam than texas has.  correct/incorrect?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RareBear:
as large as texas is, my perception is that ohio has more public land to roam than texas has.  correct/incorrect?
View Quote

Not in the northern part of the state.  There is very little public land from Toledo to Mentor, and south to the turnpike.  Just some metro parks, a handfull of state parks, and one national park.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

They're equal on a percentage basis, 4.2% land area of both states is public, among the lowest of all states.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

Not in the northern part of the state.  There is very little public land from Toledo to Mentor, and south to the turnpike.  Just some metro parks, a handfull of state parks, and one national park.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

When I was living in OH as a kid we spent a lot of time in Squire's Castle and the adjacent metro parks. Always went to the Geauga County Maple Festival too. Loved that when I was a little kid.

Permanently left OH in '67.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Seneca county is full of public land. As well as all the parks adjacent to the sandusky river. Crane creek is pretty big. Then there is killdeer plains which covers part of 2 counties. Turkeyfoot wildlife area is
big, so is Van Buren state park. All these except for turkeyfoot & crane creek are in north central ohio. A lot of navigable waterways also.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Strela:
Permanently left OH in '67.
View Quote

Brother--you're in for a shocker when you get here.

The "Best Location in the Nation" evaporated--dried up. Outsourced, relocated down South, then transferred to India, China, and Pakistan.

I taught HS Vocational Machine Trades here back in the early 1970s--the "high water mark" for machine shop jobs IMHO. Great pay, bennies, good fellow co-workers. You could raise a Family with one income it was that good. Jobs=everywhere--good paying jobs.

WARNEY & SWASEY Plant Before with 7,000+ Employees:

Today:

W&S Plant=Newest Iteration -- Who Has $36,000,000.00?
W&S Plant Heads to a Conceptual Review
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#26]
36 million divided by 140 residence is 250k each.

Except a bunch are low income housing.

Free market is dead when the crown can force the peasants to pay for free shit
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top