Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2024 8:19:15 AM EDT
I’m looking for recommendations on best areas or areas to avoid for trail riding in the UP. We usually ride northern WI and I want to check out the UP this year. We have atv’s and dirtbikes so single track wont work.

Also any other recommendations on places to go or things to see while we’re up there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:23:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fredshort] [#1]
I don't ride, but I found Michigan DNR ORV Riding: Hit the Trails

Recommend Powers MI area, trail head at Veterans Park and Nutter's Sports Bar in Powers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Huron Mountains.

Rocks, mud, dirt.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By m_seitz_24:
I'm looking for recommendations on best areas or areas to avoid for trail riding in the UP. We usually ride northern WI and I want to check out the UP this year. We have atv's and dirtbikes so single track wont work.

Also any other recommendations on places to go or things to see while we're up there.
View Quote
  The Bill Nichols trail, runs up the Keweenaw, along M26, it's a old RR grade so a straight shot, but gets you to a lot of places.
 Drop In L'anse/Baraga and ride over to Big Bay and back, real scenic, Huron Mountains, Mt Arvon, Yellow Dog River etc..
 Sturgeon River Gorge is a great run as well, lots of forest roads, great views.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Highly recommend the OnX trail riding app. Like OnX hunt but for trail riding. Its fantastic.  I don’t trail ride the UP but it will have official trails, user built trails, pictures, state/private land borders, campgrounds, set waypoints and trails yourself, ect.

Watch out for dogman.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]

There are 2000-ish miles of trails up here, most of them along the old rail tracks and bridges so they tend to be very smooth rides. They do connect town-to-town so there's a cottage industry of catering to the needs of the trail riders with bars and clubs. The local towns all have different laws but the two local to me allow UTV/ATV on the marked streets unto 25 mph. The marked streets bring the off-road vehicles into the entertainment area of the town where they can get gas, food, and supplies but not roar past the schools and churches. No riding on the highways.

I've only been out with my ATV so I haven't gone too far from home yet but since they go town-to-town they're great to do main-street exploration and bar hopping.

You do need to have a Michigan off-road sticker. I think you only get hit with the $10 one, and not the $26 one as well but I don't know for sure. There's a QR code on the sign at the MI/WI border and you can pay with a credit card.
Link Posted: Today 12:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Paul:

There are 2000-ish miles of trails up here, most of them along the old rail tracks and bridges so they tend to be very smooth rides. They do connect town-to-town so there's a cottage industry of catering to the needs of the trail riders with bars and clubs. The local towns all have different laws but the two local to me allow UTV/ATV on the marked streets unto 25 mph. The marked streets bring the off-road vehicles into the entertainment area of the town where they can get gas, food, and supplies but not roar past the schools and churches. No riding on the highways.

I've only been out with my ATV so I haven't gone too far from home yet but since they go town-to-town they're great to do main-street exploration and bar hopping.

You do need to have a Michigan off-road sticker. I think you only get hit with the $10 one, and not the $26 one as well but I don't know for sure. There's a QR code on the sign at the MI/WI border and you can pay with a credit card.
View Quote

Just be aware that some trails become "walking only" when there is no snow and revert for snowmobiles when the snow falls. I quit paying for the off-road sticker when I lived in the UP because they didn't maintain the trails "off season" (no snow) and just sent all the money to the LP.

The only trail between the town I lived in and the next town over was closed to ATVs in the summer.
Top Top