Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2019 3:44:29 PM EDT
If you guys have a reel that needs a new handle/crank or service, I definitely recommend Alan Tani. This is my Daiwa SLD30II, got it used for cheap, spooled it with Kast King 80 lb braid. The goal was to hand crank deep drop/sword fish or troll big plugs for grouper. Anyways, the crank handle seized up, so I ordered an “eBay upgrade.”  That was a disaster and didn’t work. I did manage to install it on my 330GTI on a surf rod, so it wasn’t a total waste of money. I reached out to Alan and got a price for his 5/0 upgrade handle plus shipping. It made sense, I pulled the trigger. Just got it back in the mail today and slapped it together. I love it. Can’t wait to troll for grouper and bottom fish for red snapper!

Link Posted: 6/14/2019 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good -

I read his forum a lot.  Fair amount of tips and tricks and how to's to keep things running.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Great forum. I post there quite often in the Fishing Antiques and Collectibles section
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#3]
And for the freshwater guys, Daiwa especially. Gary at the Tackle Trap is the man for cleaning/refurbing/tuning smaller freshwater reels.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 11:38:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ytka] [#4]
I was just thinking about Alan the other day and wondering if he was still working on reels. He worked over all of my saltwater gear when I lived in California. That was probably 15 years ago and all of it is still working like a champ. I fished with him a time or two. He was a guru then, so he's probably working miracles now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top