Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2020 12:18:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phinfanfrommd]
I have recently moved south to Beaufort, near Hilton Head, from Maryland. I am not familiar with the area, or some of these smaller tidal creeks. I am wondering if anyone has some tips for how to spot bad spots to throw a cast net. I see baitfish all over, make a perfect cast, only to find myself getting hung up on oyster beds. I normally have been able to carefully pry them loose, but I know I am missing fish and slowly destroying my net. Unfortunetly today, I snagged my net so bad I lost it entirely.

Can someone more experienced than me explain how I can get better at identifying bad places to cast my net? Would a better option when I notice oyster shells all over just be to set a minnow trap?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By phinfanfrommd:
I have recently moved south to Beaufort, near Hilton Head, from Maryland. I am not familiar with the area, or some of these smaller tidal creeks. I am wondering if anyone has some tips for how to spot bad spots to throw a cast net. I see baitfish all over, make a perfect cast, only to find myself getting hung up on oyster beds. I normally have been able to carefully pry them loose, but I know I am missing fish and slowly destroying my net. Unfortunetly today, I snagged my net so bad I lost it entirely.

Can someone more experienced than me explain how I can get better at identifying bad places to cast my net? Would a better option when I notice oyster shells all over just be to set a minnow trap?
View Quote

I have fished the lowcountry many years and have not lost a net yet, but have pulled up and torn holes in my nets many times on oysters.

You could certainly use a minnow trap.  Or can get large drop nets (1 yard diameter metal ring that you just pull up).  they will certainly catch fish, shrimp, and of course crabs.    All of which are good bait.

A few things... look at the waterways in satellite photos and often can discern oyster beds, especially those that rise out during low tides.  When in your boat , you can eyeball the areas.  Scout the waterways and look for areas that when low, the water flow is not rippled (usually from oysters).  Smooth flow areas would normally be pluff mud or perhaps sandy bottom (or larger creeks).  If the water is so deep that you can't see the oyster beds, you can rake the bottom with a long pole to avoid oysters.  That said, the beds are home to small fish and shrimp.  If you use a pole (or a weighted string) to determine the depth, you can cast on the gamefish and retrieve the net before bottom settle.  You should still catch a significant portion of fish/shrimp, some of those at the bottom that scoot along the bottom will escape you.   But many critters with shrimp in particular go upward and jump at the surface.  That takes and understanding on the current and drop rate of your net (larger nets  and the smaller the mesh have slower drop rate).  I'd estimate that you have to have 3-4' of water to cast and do an immediate retrieve on surface hit, which will scoop down 1-2 feet at the center area of your net.

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 308endurdebate:

I have fished the lowcountry many years and have not lost a net yet, but have pulled up and torn holes in my nets many times on oysters.

You could certainly use a minnow trap.  Or can get large drop nets (1 yard diameter metal ring that you just pull up).  they will certainly catch fish, shrimp, and of course crabs.    All of which are good bait.

A few things... look at the waterways in satellite photos and often can discern oyster beds, especially those that rise out during low tides.  When in your boat , you can eyeball the areas.  Scout the waterways and look for areas that when low, the water flow is not rippled (usually from oysters).  Smooth flow areas would normally be pluff mud or perhaps sandy bottom (or larger creeks).  If the water is so deep that you can't see the oyster beds, you can rake the bottom with a long pole to avoid oysters.  That said, the beds are home to small fish and shrimp.  If you use a pole (or a weighted string) to determine the depth, you can cast on the gamefish and retrieve the net before bottom settle.  You should still catch a significant portion of fish/shrimp, some of those at the bottom that scoot along the bottom will escape you.   But many critters with shrimp in particular go upward and jump at the surface.  That takes and understanding on the current and drop rate of your net (larger nets  and the smaller the mesh have slower drop rate).  I'd estimate that you have to have 3-4' of water to cast and do an immediate retrieve on surface hit, which will scoop down 1-2 feet at the center area of your net.

View Quote

Thank you, this was one of the most substantial replies I have gotten. I hope I get a chance to see you in the water one day!
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By phinfanfrommd:

Thank you, this was one of the most substantial replies I have gotten. I hope I get a chance to see you in the water one day!
View Quote

How has your bait catching been going?  Hopefully, no more torn nets.  I was just down in the Charleston area recently.  The fishing was ok.  Hopefully, you're tearing up the redfish!
Top Top