Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2023 9:29:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: davidenorth]
I am picking up a 1997 Starcraft Galaxy 1224 this afternoon locally for an good price.  I have been searching for a while.  It's in pretty good shape but will need a little cleaning.  My wife is excited to redecorate the interior.  We don't camp currently but work the art show circuit in the summer time.  This will allow us to expand which shows we go to.  I rented a pop up in 1997 so I am familiar with their use.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#1]
My first camper was a pop up. Loved it. I would add an AC  though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Dog looks a bit wary of it.

Hope it cleans up nicely.

Enjoy!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Tent on wheels LOL......good for a lot of fun and easy set up ETC,Hunt down 'https://www.popupportal.com/ for lots of information.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By davidenorth:
I am picking up a 1997 Starcraft Galaxy 1224 this afternoon locally for an good price.  I have been searching for a while.  It's in pretty good shape but will need a little cleaning.  My wife is excited to redecorate the interior.  We don't camp currently but work the art show circuit in the summer time.  This will allow us to expand which shows we go to.  I rented a pop up in 1997 so I am familiar with their use.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44058/365382149_6470843606363778_6447120587598-2920321.JPG
View Quote
I had that almost exact model, except mine had a Giant AC on top and a slide out kitchenette, for outdoor cooking.

One of my friends got me 4 of those Scissor jacks that come stock in a lot of smaller cars and welded 1 on each corner and after I dropped the tongue jack, I used a cordless drill to lower/raise each corner for stabilization.

The issues I had with mine, bought well used, was the sliding tracks were well worn and needed lubed as well as the rails and crank mech to push the top up/down. Lastly, pinching the material when putting the top back down.

I liked it as It was a quick setup as I could dang near pull it with anything.
I used to move it around my property with my atv.

IF you or the wife have some weight (220 or above) you might want to put some supports under the slide outs as they tend to sag with age and weight. I used two of those screw jacks on the far end of each bunk (the ones for supporting a big camper's slide outs) and I put a 2x4 across the bottom of said bunk with the jacks under that.  Worked perfect. I just stored them in the camper with a few totes of camping gear.

We had a lot of good times with ours.  I still remember the time I forgot to zip the bottoms of the sides closed. When we went to bed that evening, our big ass hound dog, came up for her nightly scritchies...  She tried to climb on my chest and I rolled her over beside me and the camper wall, she rolled right out the side and let out a big hound dog yelp as she tumbled onto the grass...  
I was kinda afraid shed run off in a strange place, but when I looked out the side, she was just paying there like WTF!!!!!!

I went out, got her and brought her back in, she was still kinda shocked...

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:37:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fusemaster] [#5]
If I may make a suggestion, buy an extra set of bedding, towels, put it all in a duffel bag and dedicate it to the camper. Use it, wash it put it back in the bag, ready for next time, beats scrounging from the house every trip.
Don’t forget a can opener.

Also, check the tires, more than five years old, replace them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fusemaster:
If I may make a suggestion, buy an extra set of bedding, towels, put it all in a duffel bag and dedicate it to the camper. Use it, wash it put it back in the bag, ready for next time, beats scrounging from the house every trip.
Don’t forget a can opener.

Also, check the tires, more than five years old, replace them.
View Quote
Thanks for the tips.  Tires are only two years old.  My wife is stoked to redecorate the interior by painting cabinets and recovering cushions.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Travel/camped all over the US for 31 years in a pop-up.
Great way to camp.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My family's first camper was a Starcraft pop-up.  I wanna say it was a Galaxy 12, but this was back in the mid 70s.  It was sure a lot more comfortable than the old Coleman canvas tent we'd been using before that.
Top Top