Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2023 9:04:27 PM EDT
I there a cover for the USGI mess kit? the old style 2 pans, one with center separator.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
i don't think there was ever a soft cover/carrier for the GI mess kit. Probably would fit in a 2 quart canteen carrier.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to be 1910 meat can pouch

Link to pouch

Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

man thats old....
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Boy scout kit had a pouch and sling, might fit?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Take your kit to a thrift store find a closed purse or clutch that will fit
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Also take a look at Coleman’s military surplus- they have a lot of different pouches, and provide measurements in the descriptions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#8]
Follow-up to above post, and BTT: I just received one of these from Coleman’s- couldn’t pass up the price for a condition 2 (used) one, and it’s larger than another, newer digital camouflage IFAK pouch I have from them. They’re currently sold out of these in new condition, but have used ones still listed:

US GI IFAK Pouch - Coyote

It’s Para-X brand, and does not have a typical military description/NSN patch on it. It measures 7-3/4 inches H x 6-3/4 in. W x 2-1/4 in. deep, measured along the seams- my measurements are slightly different than the ones in their description.

A Vietnam era (“U.S., REGAL 1966, DSA-4-02661-TR530”) GI mess kit similar to what you describe fits fine, with a little room to spare. It has one non-rigid cordura partition, located near the front/outer side. It could easily hold a mess kit, a utensil set, plus 1-2 individual side dish pouches from a MRE- NOT an entire full- size MRE pouch, though. The top flap easily closes over the mess kit. The utensil set I have is a Swedish military surplus set which nests together, and measures 8 inches in length. I don’t know whether a U.S. military surplus utensil set would fit.

The one I received is in fair to good condition- lightly stained, even after hand washing, slightly worn, but plenty of useful life still left in it. No hook and loop closure as in their description, just a sturdy plastic closure like the one shown in the photo. I’ll probably use it for an IFAK, since I like the larger than usual size, but it could work fine for carrying a mess kit.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:22:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Omega-1] [#9]
A little off topic. I traded for a French Gas Mask bag when I was stationed in Germany in the late 80's. I used it to carry my MSR XGK.

https://www.omahas.com/shop/french-army-gas-mask-bag/

Bought a new one a few years ago and it fits my Biolite Camp Stove nested in the Kettle Pot.

Very handy carry bag.

You might also be able to find a Claymore bag to carry it in or the fag bag.

https://www.armynavysales.com/u-s-g-i-type-map-case.html
Top Top