Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2023 5:59:34 PM EDT
To you hunters out there, what muzzle devices do you use on bolt gun hunting rifles? I usually hunt with my savage model 10TR, which has a heavy barrel, and I attach my Saker762 to it. I picked up a cheap savage axis 308 SR that I wouldn’t care about getting beat up, and it’s got a medium taper threaded barrel. I added a SiCo flash hider for attaching my suppressor to it, but honestly the weight of the suppressor would throw of the balance because the stock is cheap AF. Should I just buy an A2 flash hider and be done with it? Just looking to see what others do so I can copy it
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see the need for a (non-NFA) muzzle device on my hunting rifles. I went direct thread for my 30 caliber and 22LR cans. If I'm not shooting suppressed, I use a thread protector just in case.

However, I could see where it might be different for hog hunting with an AR or if you're shooting prone at prairie dogs and don't want to kick up dust.

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s for a deer gun. I’ll shoot a hog or a coyote that pops out, but primarily deer. I have an AR10 I’ve hunted with, not a fan though because it’s so bulky
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any muzzle devices on any of my hunting rifles. When Ruger introduced the 450 Bushmaster they offered it in a 16 inch barrel with a muzzle brake.  My friends soon found out firing this cannon from a box blind was devastatingly loud. Even with earplugs.

I ordered a Ruger American with a 22-in barrel that seems to be much quieter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t use any muzzle devices on any of my hunting rifles, except for my .243 and that is because it is suppressed.
Maybe, I would consider an A2 if I was going to be shooting prone, but….. other than my .243, nothing has a threaded barrel.
I do some dangerous gas hunting in Africa, and while a lot of people are tempted to put muzzle breaks on their DG rifles, it is discouraged.

Sometimes a guide may need to take a VERY quick follow on shot, and the don’t want anything to mess up their sight picture.
I have never needed one to do so, but once we actually planned on double tapping a hippo at 7 yards. We did not want a water recover at night in croc water.

Didn’t happen though, we were in thick brush and all of a sudden we realized we had lost track of the other two hippos and GTFO
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m asking because I’m trying to tame the recoil on a Savage axis. I’m very used to 308, it’s just the crappy stock makes it snappy. My other option is just putting a Boyd’s stock on it, but I would rather just put something on the muzzle. It has a SilencerCo flash hider for my Saker, but the heavy barrel makes it crazy front heavy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Can
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MonkeyGrip:
Can
View Quote

Wow thanks for the suggestion and not reading my post.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I read the original post. I would suggest a lighter can, the saker is a good can, also a heavy duty can that's made for a high firing schedule. Look into the rugged alaskan (alaskan ti if you really want it light), griffin explorr, silencerco scythe I think is their new light one. I don't think a 7.62 has nearly enough recoil to justify the increase in noise from a brake and I don't know how much good a flash hider would do unless you just want it for cool points.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#9]
We ran a Tranquilo on my sons Tikka T3. It was very muzzle heavy. But it shot really well. I replaced it with a can that was half the weight and it is still a little front heavy but much better. I will take front heavy over ear damage any day.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Model 7 with a SilencerCo ASR Flash hider. Everytime I hunted thisn year I had my Omega attached to it. If you're going to have a muzzle device it might as well be useful.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Switch out the stock and then run a can would be my suggestion. Or, as noted, simply find a Ti can that won’t throw off the balance as much. You could also try adding some weight to the stock for balance purposes too.
Top Top