Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2019 7:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: david05111]
So, a few crazy questions for the ELR crowd.

First off, let me say that this entire discussion originates from me kinda wanting a Cheytac Intervention since I saw the movie “Shooter.”  I know that’s a pretty shit reason for wanting a rifle that’s over $11,000, but I think I should start with that.

When I started looking into one, I saw that the movie gun and the original rifle came in .408.  But now it comes in .375 and I hear that’s the obvious choice now of the two for practical ELR shooting?  Is there any reason to go with .408 at this point?

I guess the second question is: has the M200 Intervention been eclipsed by other rifles like the DT HTI for practical use?  Is it so kinda “over the hill” at this point that people would be crazy to go with it over something else?

Practically, I won’t be breaking records with this thing.  The longest range around me without flying or driving somewhere is only 1000 meters.  And that’s part of the reason one of these may not happen at all, to be fair.  I can get out to 1600+ every once in a while and I probably would take it on trips to shoot beyond 2000 if I got one.

Basically, it’s a cool toy for me.  But even cool toys have to give way to some practicality.  If the gun just isn’t worth the squeeze anymore and is outperformed by others at this point, it probably doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to get involved in one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The closest I have ever been to one is the EDM Windrunner I had for a while but never shot. For the moneyi and ranges you are talking about anything past a 338 Lapua isn't really needed so it comes down to personal preference. You could even get into something like a 416 Barrett for half that money. Definitely try and put hands on one first.

The main thing that keeps me out of the boutique calibers is cost per round which is why I went 50 bmg instead. If cost is not an issue or if you reload and mitigate the high cost then go for it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:56:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: david05111] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
The closest I have ever been to one is the EDM Windrunner I had for a while but never shot. For the moneyi and ranges you are talking about anything past a 338 Lapua isn't really needed so it comes down to personal preference. You could even get into something like a 416 Barrett for half that money. Definitely try and put hands on one first.

The main thing that keeps me out of the boutique calibers is cost per round which is why I went 50 bmg instead. If cost is not an issue or if you reload and mitigate the high cost then go for it.
View Quote
Yeah, don’t get me wrong.  $7.50 a shot isn’t a great pill to swallow, but whenever I hit the range I figure I’m spending $200 normally.  For how often the gun would come out and play, $200-300 here or there to shoot 20-40 rounds with it isn’t a big deal.  I’ve got a few MGs, so ammo costs don’t scare me too much unless I’m running a beltfed 7.62, a mini gun, or an M2.

And yeah, I know .375 or .408 is overkill for the ranges I’m talking.  It’s not so much about that in terms of practicality.  It’s about showing up with the most badass rig to some extent, and being able to shoot well with it as well.  The practical side is “if you’re going to spend that much money, make sure you by the right thing.”

People can show up with every .338, .416, .50 cal, .300WM, etc. in the world and I’m betting that if you show up with an intervention, you’re king.

It’s not a total dick-measuring contest, but it’s partly one.  And that’s how this hobby goes most of the time, imo.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:08:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Luvman] [#4]
Since this a cool kid thing as well as a long range thing for you I would be patient and keep an eye out for the new Accuracy International AX50 or whatever it will be called.

Rumor has it that it will be a .50 sized switch barrel action that might have cheytac bolts available.

ETA:  if you’re open to a .338 Lapua sized rifle the AI ASR kit would fit the bill for the kool kid factor.   Top it with a 5-27 ZCO or Tangent Theta 5-25 and your at the top of the food chain for both rifle and glass.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Luvman:
Since this a cool kid thing as well as a long range thing for you I would be patient and keep an eye out for the new Accuracy International AX50 or whatever it will be called.

Rumor has it that it will be a .50 sized switch barrel action that might have cheytac bolts available.

ETA:  if you’re open to a .338 Lapua sized rifle the AI ASR kit would fit the bill for the kool kid factor.   Top it with a 5-27 ZCO or Tangent Theta 5-25 and your at the top of the food chain for both rifle and glass.
View Quote
Will look into both, thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
If that’s the goal I’d go M107. People like up to shoot my 50’s even the single shots. Either way it sounds like you know what you’re in for. From the precision side of things I never seem to see these guns being used and think they’re marketing is top notch. Seems like most of the people shooting ELR have custome built conventional type rifles.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By david05111:

And yeah, I know .375 or .408 is overkill for the ranges I’m talking.  It’s not so much about that in terms of practicality.  It’s about showing up with the most badass rig to some extent, and being able to shoot well with it as well.  The practical side is “if you’re going to spend that much money, make sure you by the right thing.”

People can show up with every .338, .416, .50 cal, .300WM, etc. in the world and I’m betting that if you show up with an intervention, you’re king.

It’s not a total dick-measuring contest, but it’s partly one.  And that’s how this hobby goes most of the time, imo.
View Quote
Just don’t be the “king” that shows up with an 11k rifle but gets outshot by a guy with a savage. I used to live in Naples and it’s no secret that a lot of money is in that area. A guy showed up with a .408 intervention and was talking it up and talking down to other shooters and their gear. No doubt it is a nice weapon, but the guy shooting it wouldn’t have done worse if he had a Winchester 94 30-30.

The short walk back to the car that day probably felt much longer after he had belittled a bunch of other shooters because of their gear and then watched them make hit after hit on targets he seldom hit. After he had left, the “king” was more of the jester, leading to laughs and jokes by the other range patrons.

Just some food for thought.

To your question, 375 all day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 2:32:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: david05111] [#8]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

Just don’t be the “king” that shows up with an 11k rifle but gets outshot by a guy with a savage. I used to live in Naples and it’s no secret that a lot of money is in that area. A guy showed up with a .408 intervention and was talking it up and talking down to other shooters and their gear. No doubt it is a nice weapon, but the guy shooting it wouldn’t have done worse if he had a Winchester 94 30-30.

The short walk back to the car that day probably felt much longer after he had belittled a bunch of other shooters because of their gear and then watched them make hit after hit on targets he seldom hit. After he had left, the “king” was more of the jester, leading to laughs and jokes by the other range patrons.

View Quote
I try to stay humble.  There are people who are WAY better shots out there than I am.  And I won’t pretend to you to be an elite marksman.

But I can hold my own.  Frankly, if someone outshoots me, I want to learn as much as I can from them, particularly if it’s on my rifle.

But I totally understand where you’re coming from.  I’ve been outshot by guys running Bushmasters while I have Colts and KACs.  Should I be embarrassed?  Maybe.  But I don’t hold myself out like that.

All that said, I like nice stuff.  I’m not sure that getting outshot by a guy with a $3000 rig should be that much of a deterrent to me going and getting something like this though.

Thanks for the input on the caliber.  Have you any input on the platform?  As I say, I had my eye on the Intervention, but I’m not sure if it’s obsolete now or if I should be really going with something else instead, etc.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 2:40:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: david05111] [#9]
If that’s the goal I’d go M107. People like up to shoot my 50’s even the single shots. Either way it sounds like you know what you’re in for. From the precision side of things I never seem to see these guns being used and think they’re marketing is top notch. Seems like most of the people shooting ELR have custome built conventional type rifles.
View Quote
There’s no question there’s marketing hype.  And you’re right; most of the videos I’ve seen of guys shooting ELR seriously have them on other platforms or custom-built rigs.

The M107A1 is on my list of wants, but it’s either that or something like this.  And for a number of reasons, I’m not sure the M107 platform is where I really want to be.  It’s badass and iconic, don’t get me wrong.  But practically, it’s not a great precision long-range rifle.  As we all know, it’s anti-material, not anti-personnel.  The .50 BMG cartridge isn’t exaclty optimized for precision ELR shooting either.  Then there’s also the threat of legislation targeting the .50 BMG platform specifically, or more broadly, magazine-fed semi-auto rifles.  That might make the platform a bit tricky in the not-so-distant future.

The Cheytac being a bolt action probably doesn’t come under such scrutiny.  It also happens to be an excellent precision long-range rifle in ways the Barrett can’t get near.  It’s probably legal in more states as well.

They’re similar money.  The Cheytac is a bit rarer as well; there are a few M82s and M107s near me, but I’ve never seen an Intervention.

I’ve put some thought into this.  If I had the cash, I’d have both.  But if I could only have one, that’s the tougher decision.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:28:53 AM EDT
[#10]
So here is y humble opinion. The m200 is a heavy rifle. You can get a custom 375 cheytac or 408 cheytac that weighs less. I never liked the chassis that was on it, much prefer a McMillan stock. Both the 375 and 408 are quite expensive to shoot and out to a mile dont really have anything over the .338 lapua. If it were me I would buy a 6.5 creedmore or similar if you dont already have one and work that our to 1200-1500 meters then get a .338 lapua to reach out to a mile or longer till you get comfortable and actually have ranges to go out further. This will build up your skill and then if you ever do go to a .375 or .408 it will be a good transition.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:10:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: david05111] [#12]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
So here is y humble opinion. The m200 is a heavy rifle. You can get a custom 375 cheytac or 408 cheytac that weighs less. I never liked the chassis that was on it, much prefer a McMillan stock. Both the 375 and 408 are quite expensive to shoot and out to a mile dont really have anything over the .338 lapua. If it were me I would buy a 6.5 creedmore or similar if you dont already have one and work that our to 1200-1500 meters then get a .338 lapua to reach out to a mile or longer till you get comfortable and actually have ranges to go out further. This will build up your skill and then if you ever do go to a .375 or .408 it will be a good transition.
View Quote
So I already have an SR25 and a 300WM I’ve been shooting out to around 1200 meters.  I don’t have a 6.5, but I might get one at some point.

I thought about getting a .338, but by the time you buy an AI or something and throw top-quality glass on it, you’re basically north of $10k anyway.  If I’m going to spend that much anyway, I figure I should just spend the little bit more and get something even more capable.

Isn’t weight helpful on this stuff?  I’d figure you’d want the rig to be pretty heavy so that it’s well-planted when taking shots at those distances.  My .300WM weighs near 20lbs with glass and suppressor.  I know the Cheytac is double that, but I never really considered that to be a hindrance for this type of shooting.  Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
The 375 and 408 are both excellent. I have shot the 408 to 2500 yards without issue out in Idaho back when the Chey Tac company was owned by some friends of ours and only didn't go farther as the 3000 yard target was down due to a storm. This was right as the 375 was being developed. We shot for about 4 days out in the Idaho mountains and went through a lot of ammo. We had guys up there with 416 Barrett and a M82A1 and neither could touch the accuracy of the Chey Tacs. No way I would buy a semi auto .50 if looking for ELR accuracy. Either the 408 or 375 will do what you want.

Today there are a lot of rifles being built in these calibers so don't limit yourself to a Chey Tac rifle. Get a solid system and flip a coin for either caliber and go shoot. That said unless you plan to shoot 2000 yards + you can get away with a cheaper system.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19859/P1010610-1132421.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for your input
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#14]

So I already have an SR25 and a 300WM I’ve been shooting out to around 1200 meters.  I don’t have a 6.5, but I might get one at some point.

I thought about getting a .338, but by the time you buy an AI or something and throw top-quality glass on it, you’re basically north of $10k anyway.  If I’m going to spend that much anyway, I figure I should just spend the little bit more and get something even more capable.

Isn’t weight helpful on this stuff?  I’d figure you’d want the rig to be pretty heavy so that it’s well-planted when taking shots at those distances.  My .300WM weighs near 20lbs with glass and suppressor.  I know the Cheytac is double that, but I never really considered that to be a hindrance for this type of shooting.  Am I wrong?
View Quote
If you are not humping the rifle then no weight doesn't really matter. Whats the furthest you have taken your 300 out to? Dont get me wrong, I love the cheytac round and eventually I want to build one, but right now I have no where to shoot it so its kinda pointless. With the cheytac ammo will be the main issue for you. Availability and price.Like others have said, if you are not shooting 2k plus there are cheaper options just as capable and much cheaper to shoot like the 338 lapua, and so forth.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#15]

If you are not humping the rifle then no weight doesn't really matter. Whats the furthest you have taken your 300 out to? Dont get me wrong, I love the cheytac round and eventually I want to build one, but right now I have no where to shoot it so its kinda pointless. With the cheytac ammo will be the main issue for you. Availability and price.Like others have said, if you are not shooting 2k plus there are cheaper options just as capable and much cheaper to shoot like the 338 lapua, and so forth.
View Quote
Furthest I've taken the 300wm out to is about 1200 yards.  You raise a good point about the ammo; it's not something I'll be able to source locally, I don't imagine.  It would have to be ordered.

I know there are other options like the .338 that could get me out to 1600+ yards.

Just not sure what I want to do yet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:50:02 AM EDT
[#16]
What's everyone's position on the 416 Barrett as an another alternate?
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:58:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#17]
View Quote
The 416 is an alternative to the 50 but as far as I know only the barrett rifles like the m99 shoot it. I would shoot a cheytac over the barrett. More options for cheytac.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#18]
The 416 is an alternative to the 50 but as far as I know only the barrett rifles like the m99 shoot it. I would shoot a cheytac over the barrett. More options for cheytac.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Any 50 bmg action could be built around it. I mentioned 426 earlier because the gun is half the cost of the Cheytac. The 99 triggers aren’t the nicest but seem to work fine for most people.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:53:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Any 50 bmg action could be built around it. I mentioned 426 earlier because the gun is half the cost of the Cheytac. The 99 triggers aren’t the nicest but seem to work fine for most people.
View Quote
You can get cheytacs built in the 6-8k range maybe less.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 7:35:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#20]
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#21]

You can get cheytacs built in the 6-8k range maybe less.
View Quote
If the caliber is all he is after that’s true but he specifically mentioned the Interdiction anpart of its appeal was how limited and cool it was to OP. As Rob said above build a top notch rifle for substantially less would be pretty easy but I didn’t address that because of what was originally asked.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#22]

If the caliber is all he is after that’s true but he specifically mentioned the Interdiction anpart of its appeal was how limited and cool it was to OP. As Rob said above build a top notch rifle for substantially less would be pretty easy but I didn’t address that because of what was originally asked.
View Quote
True I was just giving options. As far as a m99 416 or a m200 Intervention in .408 or .37f I'd take a cheytac.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
Yeah that bears repeating.

As I say, this whole thing kinda sprung out of me watching "Shooter" when it came out all those years ago and kinda wanting an Intervention ever since.  I know i could get a custom built rig for less, but that's not the whole point of the discussion.

Mainly, I needed to know two things:

1)  Is .408 outperformed by .375 at this point, and if it is, is there really any justification for the .408 at all?

2)  Is there another rifle (or caliber) out there in the ELR category that makes looking at the Intervention at all entirely foolish?  Sort of a "that rifle is totally obsolete; look at this instead.  It's better in every way."

I'm not saying any of this is going to happen anyway.  This is more of a fact-finding mission for me than anything at the moment.  Sort of getting a feel for whats true and what isn't, and what's out there.

Obligatory inspirational picture.

Link Posted: 10/24/2019 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Yeah that bears repeating.

As I say, this whole thing kinda sprung out of me watching "Shooter" when it came out all those years ago and kinda wanting an Intervention ever since.  I know i could get a custom built rig for less, but that's not the whole point of the discussion.

Mainly, I needed to know two things:

1)  Is .408 outperformed by .375 at this point, and if it is, is there really any justification for the .408 at all?

2)  Is there another rifle (or caliber) out there in the ELR category that makes looking at the Intervention at all entirely foolish?  Sort of a "that rifle is totally obsolete; look at this instead.  It's better in every way."

I'm not saying any of this is going to happen anyway.  This is more of a fact-finding mission for me than anything at the moment.  Sort of getting a feel for whats true and what isn't, and what's out there.

Obligatory inspirational picture.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/a/ae/S-Cheyenne.jpg/600px-S-Cheyenne.jpg
View Quote
.375 outperforms .408.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Top 4 finishers of KO2M this year were using .416
Last year 3 of the top 5 were using .375CT
Has a lot to do with load development and .416 has more options, but they are very close.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By LNC2BLDR:
Top 4 finishers of KO2M this year were using .416
Last year 3 of the top 5 were using .375CT
Has a lot to do with load development and .416 has more options, but they are very close.
View Quote
Is there a complete equipment list somewhere?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#27]
For cool factor, it's kinda hard to beat the steyr hs50 M1. Side fed .50 & .416 goodness. the swagger stick is cool too, I guess. ;)
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
For cool factor, it's kinda hard to beat the steyr hs50 M1. Side fed .50 & .416 goodness. the swagger stick is cool too, I guess. ;)
View Quote
The other steyr is a .460 not .416.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Is there a complete equipment list somewhere?
View Quote
2019 KO2M Equipment List

I have pdf if someone can't get the link to work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 7:16:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uglygun] [#30]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

View Quote
I have played that game lots back in the day when I built my JP Enterprises gun in 1998.

That damn rifle routinely put 5 shots into 1/2 inch and was a no shit 3/4 inch 10 shot group rifle.

If anybof the snobs showed up at the range and started shooting at the little steel targets, like squirrel/bottle sized, I could run the range out to 400 yards and drop everything by dialing for range and just not miss unless it was windy as hell.

At 200 yards every target dropping with about 3 seconds between shots moving from target to target.

14 pound 24in bull with recoil eliminator and a 6.5-20 Leupold could damn near double tap a 6inch plate at 200 yards.

Things I learned on that rifle I later applied to my 300WinMag and have been MOA at 800 with handloads.

Always wanted to go further, have an ALS 50 BMG upper but never got to play beyond 1k with it.   Test group was like .45 in for 3 shots at 100 with Amaxes.    But I just dont shoot much anymore.

If I were gonna do it the 375 sounds like the cartridge to go for.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeBotz] [#31]
I have the ASR and have nothing but good things to say. It’s one of the most precise riffles I’ve shot. Hendsolt scope.
It is an improvement over the the ACMC which I have in 338 Lapua with a Valdada scope.  I wouldn’t say the ASR is a more accurate riffle (at least not at my level) but I like the ergonomic redesign. I have a 6.5CM barrel I’ve put in both. Same level as accuracy at 1100 yds (for this range I have within driving to me)

Cadex is another riffle that has surpassed my expectations.
I have the Kraken in 6.5 CM with a Tangent Theta H59 Horus reticle and it’s a Tac hammer. If you don’t mind a busy reticle the Horus is fantastic. It comes in 338 and 300 calibers and I’d except those shoot as well as the 6.5cm.

I also have a Cadex in 50 BMG and it’s fantastic.

As much as I want an intervention there nothing it would do for me that any of those wouldn’t do at me skill and ranges I have access to.

The Desert Tech SRS in 300 Rum is another riffle that surprised me on how well it shoots. I’m sure the 338 Lapua version is just as good.

Nothing anyone has posted about here is it bad choice.

What did you end up getting?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 4:01:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I went with a .375. Bullet selection seemed better to me.
Top Top