Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2023 8:22:45 PM EDT
Hello, I have 6 Remington 700s all in 308 Winchester and all set up pretty similar. I'm considering re-barreling 2 or 3 of them to 6.5 CM or something like that just to add some variety. I have owned all of these guns since new and none of them have been shot much. If I go this route instead of selling them, is there any issue with re-using the take off barrels? What would I have to do to install a take off barrel in one of the actions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You just have to make sure it torqued on again correctly and check the head space carefully .
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Back in the day removing the bbl, truing the action, and setting a factory barrel back with a RE chamber was a thing.  

I have a couple sub MOA rifles like that.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

If you are just taking them off and putting them on the same action without doing any work to the action then it will be fine. There will be no change in headspace. But if you send the actions off to someone and they do some truing then you could definitely have issues with headspace.

Do you plan to use a barrel nut Remage style for the new barrels and so it yourself or are you sending them off?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By goldeneye:
Hello, I have 6 Remington 700s all in 308 Winchester and all set up pretty similar. I'm considering re-barreling 2 or 3 of them to 6.5 CM or something like that just to add some variety. I have owned all of these guns since new and none of them have been shot much. If I go this route instead of selling them, is there any issue with re-using the take off barrels? What would I have to do to install a take off barrel in one of the actions?

Thanks

If you are just taking them off and putting them on the same action without doing any work to the action then it will be fine. There will be no change in headspace. But if you send the actions off to someone and they do some truing then you could definitely have issues with headspace.

Do you plan to use a barrel nut Remage style for the new barrels and so it yourself or are you sending them off?

I will probably true up the actions and go to a prefit Remage barrel with barrel nut if I do it. Keep the take off barrels as extras fir the other guns that I leave chambered for 308 Winchester.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]

You can’t move barrel from one action to another without checking headspace as they aren’t interchangeable.
View All Quotes

I will probably true up the actions and go to a prefit Remage barrel with barrel nut if I do it. Keep the take off barrels as extras fir the other guns that I leave chambered for 308 Winchester.

You can’t move barrel from one action to another without checking headspace as they aren’t interchangeable.

Fully understand. I have 308 HS gauges. I believe all I would need to switch the take off barrel to a new action (if that time ever came) is a finish reamer. Is this correct?
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:40:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LedZeppelin] [#8]
Headspace gauges are really all you need.

If the headspace is tight, a reamer will correct it (can probably do it by hand with a tap handle the few thousandths it will need to be moved), or a thicker recoil lug.

If headspace is long, a different recoil lug (thinner) can solve that.  Again, we're talking a .005-.010" window here for most actions.  

Caliber markings, sights, etc.. anything on the barrel most likely won't line back up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]

You have to be able to do the machine work to make it fit if it’s off. I think you are getting the whole Remage nut thing confused with shouldered barrels.
View All Quotes

Fully understand. I have 308 HS gauges. I believe all I would need to switch the take off barrel to a new action (if that time ever came) is a finish reamer. Is this correct?

You have to be able to do the machine work to make it fit if it’s off. I think you are getting the whole Remage nut thing confused with shouldered barrels.

What machine work are you referring to? I'm following LedZepplin's line if thinking above. You could do the same thing (thinner recoil lug) with a finish reamer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I took a new Rem pss 308 barrel off a action to put on a different barrel. I took the old barrel and turned it down and re chambered it for my Savage m10 action. I also cut it so it was 22" and threaded it 5/8x24. It was one of my most accurate 308 I have had. I had a very well known smith do a Rock Creek 5r MTU done for a Savage before I got a lathe and learned how to do this. The Factory Remington barrel shot better than that Rock Creek barrel. That was what I took off the action to put the Rem barrel on.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I sell take off barrels all the time on ebay so someone must be using them to rebarrel .
If you make the recoil lug thinner you have to adjust the clearance for the bolt nose and headspace. What I do is cut the shoulder to get another whole turn , adjust the shank length so the bolt clears and the stamping is lined up . Then go in with the reamer and set the head space .
I'm about 5-1 on doing this set back trick one 308 pencil barrel is giving me trouble.
Top Top