Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2023 9:45:45 PM EDT
I use Strelok Pro.

At distances out to about 662 yards, the elevation it recommended was just about spot on.

However I tried a 952 yard steel target and found I needed another half a mil of elevation to hit the steel shillouette.

The instructor had said he found people tend to need another mil or a few more moa past what apps (in general) suggest once they start shooting at elr or almost elr distances.

The round I use should still be supersonic well past the range I was shooting at. It has a .535 G1 so it is decent for factory ammo.

Have you noticed a distance where the particular  app you happen to use underestimates the elevation dialing required?

What might cause it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have noticed it with both StrelokPro and Shooter at higher humidity. I kinda wonder if its air density changes at ELR because sometimes it’s spot on and sometimes it can be half a mil higher. And I think it’s hard for the app to adjust for headwind and tailwind. We only have the basic wind data at our location. It’s extremely hard to adjust for headwinds at and between your location and the target.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I will try entering the weather data next time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#3]
I use Applied Ballistics,it's been dead nuts to 2000 yards, but I shoot a big magnum with hand loads and a .380 G-7 BC....My load is super sonic out to 2100 yards...I could see a normal cartridge needing more dope when reaching way out there, especially if your weather is general terms for the area and not recorded on the spot...
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
G1 isn't a good approximation of a long range boat tail bullet. Using a G7 BC will likely get you better results, especially at longer ranges. Additionally, your achieved BC may not match what the manufacturer says the bullet has. BC is based on muzzle velocity and twist rate in addition to the bullet's inherent shape. That and many manufacturers inflate their BC compared to commonly achieved BC as a marketing technique.

In short, try a G7 ballistic coefficient. If you're still not getting results that match the calculator data, adjust the BC to compensate.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LoadedDrum] [#5]
I ran the G7 in Strelok Pro and it was a little closer.

I figure I will try adding weather data to see if will get even closer.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LoadedDrum:

Thanks everyone.
View Quote

What is your altitude? We’re at 600 feet and high barometric pressure plus a headwind can play with your salutations. Keep those days recorded in your log book. I have noticed that going up in altitude gets a much more consistent solution. But I have never played above 6000’. Yet I have been told it can have the opposite effect above 6000’. Another culprit can be having the coriolis option turned off and altitude density turned off.

But that should only equal about half a mil at 1000 yards. Another culprit can be not having your powder temperature velocity entered accurately. G1 vs G7 if your velocity averages are entered correctly shouldn’t be a full mil.

Another culprit can be your powder is temperature sensitive and gaining or losing velocity.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
I use Applied Ballistics,it's been dead nuts to 2000 yards, but I shoot a big magnum with hand loads and a .380 G-7 BC....My load is super sonic out to 2100 yards...I could see a normal cartridge needing more dope when reaching way out there, especially if your weather is general terms for the area and not recorded on the spot...
View Quote

My SIL is running Applied Ballistics and I’m starting to warm up to it. I think it really shines with the kestrel weather station. One of my buddy’s is using it with the kestrel and sig 3000 and getting excellent results. But the solution is not a half mil difference between the StrelokPro. Sometimes two to three tenths.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

What is your altitude? We’re at 600 feet and high barometric pressure plus a headwind can play with your salutations. Keep those days recorded in your log book. I have noticed that going up in altitude gets a much more consistent solution. But I have never played above 6000’. Yet I have been told it can have the opposite effect above 6000’. Another culprit can be having the coriolis option turned off and altitude density turned off.

But that should only equal about half a mil at 1000 yards. Another culprit can be not having your powder temperature velocity entered accurately. G1 vs G7 if your velocity averages are entered correctly shouldn’t be a full mil.

Another culprit can be your powder is temperature sensitive and gaining or losing velocity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks everyone.

The range I shot 952 yards at is around 728ft, facing north. The range I zeroed at is about 100 feet higher and facing east. Temps were similar but I don't know the values.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]

My SIL is running Applied Ballistics and I’m starting to warm up to it. I think it really shines with the kestrel weather station. One of my buddy’s is using it with the kestrel and sig 3000 and getting excellent results. But the solution is not a half mil difference between the StrelokPro. Sometimes two to three tenths.
View Quote

I run the old kilo 2400, with on board weather and the AB ballistic software, it's been very very accurate with everything I have used it for, and includes a BC calculator and a velocity calculator that allows you to correct your dope versus what the program gives...It allows you to choose one or the other or both to true your dope...
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]

The range I shot 952 yards at is around 728ft, facing north. The range I zeroed at is about 100 feet higher and facing east. Temps were similar but I don't know the values.
View Quote

I don’t think it’s coriolis. That is usually facing E or W. I’m betting that you need to true your BC through your powder velocity range.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This function allows you to use your internal barometer and calculates for zero temperature differences.

But it can still vary just a bit from tailwind or headwind. That’s why we use a log book. Now flatter shooting rifles vary less. I used my RPR in .223.  
Attachment Attached File

This is your velocity and bc trueing page. It’s the target with the up and down arrow key.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]

I run the old kilo 2400, with on board weather and the AB ballistic software, it's been very very accurate with everything I have used it for, and includes a BC calculator and a velocity calculator that allows you to correct your dope versus what the program gives...It allows you to choose one or the other or both to true your dope...
View All Quotes

I have the old Kilo 1600 and Leupold 1200. I don’t think they will pair. But I think I need to play with my SIL’s app.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:20:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#12]

I have the old Kilo 1600 and Leupold 1200. I don’t think they will pair. But I think I need to play with my SIL’s app.
View Quote

I don't think they will pair either..the 2400 is a stand alone so you don't have to buy a kestrel as well as the RF, it all comes in 1 small package...it does pair with your phone, but its not a have to have to use it, other than for wind..The RF comes with a wind meter that plugs into your phone and reports right to the app which syncs with the RF..I rarely use the wind meter...All other weather it takes on the RF itself...
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#13]

I don't think they will pair either..the 2400 is a stand alone so you don't have to buy a kestrel as well as the RF, it all comes in 1 small package...it does pair with your phone, but its not a have to have to use it, other than for wind..The RF comes with a wind meter that plugs into your phone and reports right to the app which syncs with the RF..I rarely use the wind meter...All other weather it takes on the RF itself...
View Quote

I don’t use my wind meter much either. It’s some off brand we use in the chicken houses to calibrate our computer to the fans to get accurate wind speed data. The wind here is so squirrely it can be one way then there’s a gulch or timber line that creates a different funnel and direction. But I wasn’t gonna gripe about a free wind meter several years ago when they were really expensive.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]

I don’t think it’s coriolis. That is usually facing E or W. I’m betting that you need to true your BC through your powder velocity range.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/232954/IMG_1926_png-2967299.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/232954/IMG_1927_png-2967301.JPG
This function allows you to use your internal barometer and calculates for zero temperature differences.

But it can still vary just a bit from tailwind or headwind. That’s why we use a log book. Now flatter shooting rifles vary less. I used my RPR in .223.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/232954/IMG_1928_png-2967310.JPG
This is your velocity and bc trueing page. It’s the target with the up and down arrow key.
View Quote

I was just playing with that portion of Strelok Pro and when I put in the barometric pressure and elevation of the range, I ended up with in a 10th of a mil of what I needed on Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:06:29 AM EDT
[#15]

I was just playing with that portion of Strelok Pro and when I put in the barometric pressure and elevation of the range, I ended up with in a 10th of a mil of what I needed on Sunday.
View Quote

Make sure you’re using station or absolute pressure, not corrected barometric pressure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

That’s a good thing. But when you have a tailwind or headwind take notes because it can still be a bit off. There is no data like actual shot data.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#17]
This place is a wealth of knowledge.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#18]

That’s a good thing. But when you have a tailwind or headwind take notes because it can still be a bit off. There is no data like actual shot data.
View All Quotes

Agreed. I need to get a Kestrel so I can learn to correlate wind speed/direction with visible indicators.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Agreed. I need to get a Kestrel so I can learn to correlate wind speed/direction with visible indicators.
View Quote

A kestrel and LRF are an instant must have if you plan on doing any kind of precision shooting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RePp:

A kestrel and LRF are an instant must have if you plan on doing any kind of precision shooting.
View Quote

Which ones do you recommend?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Originally Posted By RePp:

The concensus Kestrel according to everything I have read is the 5700.

I have not seen a concensus LRF however.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#22]

The concensus Kestrel according to everything I have read is the 5700.

I have not seen a concensus LRF however.
View Quote

5700 is pretty much the standard and far as a lrf I’m a huge fan of lrf binos. Sig, vortex are good and if you have some extra money the swaro and leicas are epic.
Top Top