Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2017 4:02:01 PM EDT
Looking for some input on what others are doing for lubing their bolt action rifles. Started looking online and instantly saw the arguments from several camps, so I thought I'd see what others here are doing.

I participated in my first local PRS style match yesterday and had multiple feed / jam issues manipulating my bolt. It's the 2nd time I've had this gun out and am confident it's not bolt / action related (purchased from someone I trust who competed with it regularly) and realize it could also be mag / ammo related. It's a REM 700 action w/AICS AW 10 Mag & Hornady 140 ELD-M Ammo.

The bolt was feeling tacky and sticking when cycling without ammo, so I got it home, disassembled, and degreased. Whatever was on there was put on by the gunsmith that re-barreled the rifle. Once I put it back together dry it was much better, but now I need to lube it.  

I have plenty of quality oils & grease but wondering if I should use a dry lube as this gun will regularly be used in dry, dusty conditions.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:33:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, as always its simple & straightforward. I picked up the chamber cleaning tool, last night when I cleaned the chamber it was a real pain in the ass. This will help. Also picked up some dry lube per your recommendation.

@Rob01
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I came here to research/ask this very question. Thanks!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mackvli:
Thanks for the info, as always its simple & straightforward. I picked up the chamber cleaning tool, last night when I cleaned the chamber it was a real pain in the ass. This will help. Also picked up some dry lube per your recommendation.

@Rob01
View Quote
Did you get the dewey one with the weird swabs? I've been looking at those and wondering how well they work
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mackvli] [#6]
I got the Tipton one in Rob01's link @ Midway. Worked great, enough that's i plan on using them for all my rifles.
Top Top