Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2022 5:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RhinelandArms]
This is something we are playing around with. The rifle below is a new semi auto center fire we are working on but we also have the ability to do other unique things with it.

We are working on making a 22lr version of this as a bolt action instead of semi auto. It will use a AR15 22lr barrel(in theory), firing pin and trigger group. Bolt will be rather large so it will be mostly aluminum with a steel head.  Not sure what mag to use yet, not too fond of the AR mags as they will stick down too far and really hate 1022 mags.

Not like it makes much sense, but will make a couple anyways.

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I wanted a real WA2000 so bad 20 years ago....
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats for sure the idea we were after, but with modern modular items.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe take a look a Tikka T1x or Savage MKII mags for the 22LR version?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Tikka mags make me want to cry. I do enjoy my T1X but the mags for it can die in a hot fire as far as I'm concerned. Love it or hate it, the 1022 is a fantastic mag IMO.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Rifle looks amazing

For mags are you wanting something more flush, high capacity, or something like Tikka/cz/savage mk mags that stick out?

If I had my choice a 1022 mag is ideal, slamm footprint, flush and high capacity options and they work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to do this.  I remember an earlier, similar version I think that you made.

I would LOVE to have one.  Semi or bolt.  Straightpull would be neat!
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
You need to do this.  I remember an earlier, similar version I think that you made.

I would LOVE to have one.  Semi or bolt.  Straightpull would be neat!
View Quote

You have an incredible memory. That rifle was the R4 prototype back in 07/08. It was shelved until we could figure some things out and 3d printers came along making R&D  a lot easier.

On the mags, we are after something that is flush to the mag well. 10/22 mags are nice, but incredibly difficult to design a mag well that works perfect with them, due to the front and rear mounting points on them and the wide variety of aftermarket dimensions.

The Tikka mags look nice, whats not good about them? I dont have any.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
What kind of precision are you getting out of this platform?

Any thoughts on AICS pattern mags like the B14r, Vudoo, RimX?
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Our first builds have only been in 223 wylde using Bear Creek Arsenal bull barrels and 7lb off the shelf triggers( could not find our fancy ones until now). The accuracy at close range is just stupid good using General Dynamics and Remington ammo.  We swapped out the trigger for a 3lb cmmg unit but had to ship that to Shotshow before we could test at range.

Seriously considering getting a dedicated AR22lr bolt/barrel combo and using a AR22 mag, this gets us up and running fast but as a semi auto. Will probably chop the bottom off a AR22 mag and make a cap for them so they are flush mount. We have a new nifty 3d printer coming in that will allow us to  mass produce them too.

For a bolt action, we could use an AR22 barrel/mag and a new traditional bolt. Having brain fog on how to do it in straight pull bolt without getting crazy on the design.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
What kind of precision are you getting out of this platform?

Any thoughts on AICS pattern mags like the B14r, Vudoo, RimX?
View Quote

Holy cow, those mags are new to me. They look really nice.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Any more pics of this?

OOH!!!  How about pics of your old one from 08????

I know this sounds probably too labor intensive but maybe you could up with a simple, clean, rimfire action that would fit into your platform.  Maybe something that is along the lines of an old Remington 550 (or, more appropriately a Springfield 87)  in shape but internally simple and clean like the 10/22.  I mean, besides shape, they really are all doing the same job.  Design the action to accommodate the 10/22 barrel interface so folk could pick a barrel from the .920 nominal on down.

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I lusted after the R22 many years ago but could never seem to get one.
Interested...
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RhinelandArms:
Our first builds have only been in 223 wylde using Bear Creek Arsenal bull barrels and 7lb off the shelf triggers( could not find our fancy ones until now). The accuracy at close range is just stupid good using General Dynamics and Remington ammo.  We swapped out the trigger for a 3lb cmmg unit but had to ship that to Shotshow before we could test at range.

Seriously considering getting a dedicated AR22lr bolt/barrel combo and using a AR22 mag, this gets us up and running fast but as a semi auto. Will probably chop the bottom off a AR22 mag and make a cap for them so they are flush mount. We have a new nifty 3d printer coming in that will allow us to  mass produce them too.

For a bolt action, we could use an AR22 barrel/mag and a new traditional bolt. Having brain fog on how to do it in straight pull bolt without getting crazy on the design.
View Quote

May be worthwhile to post up some results. This is the precision rifle sub forum, and many probably have concerns with repeatable precision with those barrels, and if not, at least what results you’re getting. “Stupid good, bugholes, tack driver” get tossed about, but aren’t quantifiable.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#14]
We are going to be ordering the parts in to make one of these into a semiauto 22LR and see how that goes in that caliber.

Not sure who makes great dedicated 22LR AR barrels these days.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Beyer, White Oak and Compass Lake iirc, but they may be custom orders.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RhinelandArms:
We are going to be ordering the parts in to make one of these into a semiauto 22LR and see how that goes in that caliber.

Not sure who makes great dedicated 22LR AR barrels these days.

View Quote

CMMG's barrels are great.  I have no idea who they use for blanks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#17]
One more thing, I have no idea what his position is on a partnership but John Scandale at Keystone Accuracy is pretty widely thought of as an expert on 22 AR accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RhinelandArms] [#18]
The Beyer barrels are looking good, I have never tried an aluminum barrel so that will be a first for me. We like CMMG stuff too, will be using their 22LR bolt.

Using a CMC trigger, we have a couple different ones here.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:47:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RhinelandArms] [#19]

We had shelved the 22LR version of the R2000 rifle as we were waiting on a side charging 22lr bolt. Turns out that Bear Creek has come out with one so we will grab that and give it a try. We just have to make a spacer for the back to take up the spring, at least I think. If the standard AR spring is all you need then thats even better.

We are also certain that if we use the Xr2000 version of the platform to built up semi autos-this can not take the AR gas system, then we will have a California compliant semi auto.
Top Top