Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2021 4:08:32 PM EDT
So I've got a line on a pretty good deal for a 700 5R with the fluted barrel. Problem is, 24" is too long for me. I much prefer an 18" since I never shoot unsuppressed. Does anyone know if the flutes would keep my smith from being able to rethread it after cutting?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:25:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#1]
It might look like ass, but it can be done.

Several places offer threading services with the barrel still installed. ADCO firearms will shorten the barrel on a barreled action and thread the muzzle for $140 if you ship it to them completely disassembled. No trigger parts or anything else on the receiver. Barrel removal isn't needed.

I would go with ADCO unless you want the barrel rechambered. That will cost a lot more money and take more time, virtually every custom shop is backlogged.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW - I prefer 24" and longer barrels in bolt action rifles. I'm not willing to sacrifice velocity in order to gain portability in a bolt gun. If I want light and handy I take an AR.

I do own two Howa mini-actions with threaded barrels that can be suppressed, a 7.62x39mm and a 6.5 Grendel. I don't consider either to be long range rifles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
This guy cut and threaded a fluted barrel for me. There are pics in his EE thread

EE listing
Top Top