Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2024 2:33:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer]
Is there a phone-app or other expedient method that will assist the shooter in measuring and quantifying the angle from gun-to-target that folks use?
[Answered - it's already built in to Strelok - Slope Angle, Degree;s - launches your camera with a crosshair - aim at target, that's your slope angle.  Probably in other apps as well;  other route is a separate phone app, such as AngleCam - which I'm now uninstalling, since it's built into Strelok anyway.]

I ask because I sometimes shoot at some neat gong-ranges at distance, and the ballistic calucators are never quite right.  I'm beginning to suspect the flight behavior alteration from shooting at an angle down into the target valley, may be a factor.  Most calculators have the abilty to enter that even, but what value does one enter?  I'm wondering if there's maybe something as simple as a phone app that uses your camer at max zoom you point at the target, and then it tells you what angle you are holding your phone, to be doing so?

I guess I can get a long straw and two strings, and use triginomitry on my abacus to calcuate the angle - but was hoping there was an easy-button on this?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#2]
I have the Nigthforce angle cosign indicator on my LR rifle.  My being a mathematical idiot, it makes angle trajectory simpler.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
angle cosine indicator or 4DOF
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:40:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#4]
Here we go.  Angle Cam app.

Put crosshair (not shown in a final picture) on the gong while holding the phone even with the gun.  And "pitch" is the pitch angle the phone has looking at the target.

Free

I imagine there are lots of apps with that
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You need either a cosign indicator, a proper LR rangefinder that measures and calculates angle and true shot distance(my kilo 2400 does it automatically) or a mil dot master is the cheap easy way...You add a string to it along with a weight, then use it to sight your target then look at the angle it says, then input that angle into your BC calculator.....Here I dug mine out to show it setup for angles...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

https://www.amazon.com/Mildot-Enterprises-Master/dp/B008WTWKEA

My kilo 2400 RF and what it shows...This shows a 7*angle, and a distance of 1511 yards, actual distance is longer, but because of the angle your shooting distance the bullet travels while gravity affects it is the displayed distance....

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#6]
OMG - I'm so dumb - I didn't even check my ballistics app!  This is already built in and been there the whole time!  

In Strelok, right below Distance entry, is Slope Angle, Degrees.  

I thought that was manual, but when you actually click on it - tadaa, it activates your camera with a crosshair.  Aim at target, there's your slope angle.  That easy.   Jez, I never knew that was even there.

(internet photos)

(Unfortunately Strelok is now banned due to US trade sanctions.  If you have it already, you can keep running it.  Otherwise... Donno)
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL...well at least you are good to go OP, the mildot master is still a good tool to have in your range bag if you shoot much LR stuff......
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:08:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
LOL...well at least you are good to go OP, the mildot master is still a good tool to have in your range bag if you shoot much LR stuff......
View Quote

Yea, thanks for the answer on that.  While the phone does a lot - there's not a real good rangefinder; and the tool you have is more general purpose.  My answer works fine on a known-distance range, but less so if having to estimate the range.

Also, when it's "known distance" (as published by range owner), what does that mean?  Is "600 yards" really 600.0 yards?  Is it 600 yards over ground to target, or 600 yards line-of-sight to target?  Your rig is the better answer (which is line-of-site); but sometimes I just run with what I've got, and can be.. well... Lazy.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
124 bucks and the Sig buck masters 1500 will range animals to 600 yards, reflective to 1500 yards and trees to 800yards and it does have AMR for angles or LOS, it also has a basic bullet compensation that relies on bullet weight and velocity and covers most hunting setups..it will get you a lot closer than guessing will....A bit more moneyman get you much more as well.....

https://www.amazon.com/Buckmasters-Wareproof-Hunting-Rangefinder-Monocular/dp/B08TRR3FBY
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#11]
One quick clarification question: I assume all ballistic calculators use distance as line-of-sight distance from you to target, and not based on Google Earth flat down-view distance to target, correct?

i.e. if shooting up a mountain at a 45 degree angle.  If via Google Earth that's a 100 yard shoot, but looking at it from the ground and lasering it up the mounting, that's actually a... well .. A^2+B^2=C^2, so... C=sqrt(100*100+100*100)=  141 yards straight light of sight to target.  So one would use 141 yards , yes?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#12]
No, you use the 100 yard data, because gravity only has full affect for the horizontal distance, not for the full length of the angled distance.....Always think of your drop based on what the perfectly horizontal distance is, not what the angled distance is...
Now shooting uphill will cause more drop, not because of gravity, but because your bullet losses velocity slightly faster which allows gravity more time to affect it...The opposite when shooting downhill.. thats why people normally hit low when shooting uphill and hit high when shooting downhill...Your BC calculator if set up properly will compensate as needed if its a good one...
Top Top