Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2024 4:54:28 AM EDT
When reloading military brass, are there any special things that have to be done?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Decrimping the primer pocket is the biggest one - I ream out 5.56mm brass on my Frankford Arsenal case prep station. Some people use a Dillon Super Swage. I find that mostly on 5.56mm and 7.62x51, occasionally on 9mm. I'll ream out 5.56mm and 7.62x51, but 9mm goes in the recycle bag. Also check for trim length - they can be pretty inconsistent, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Jambright:
When reloading military brass, are there any special things that have to be done?
View Quote

What caliber? Lake City 5.56mm brass is virtually identical to commercial cases. Some foreign 5.56mm brass is way heavy and needs reduced loads because of it. FNM headstamp was one variety that had very thick case walls.

Lake City 7.62x51mm brass needs reduced loads, usually 2.0 full grain lower than published data. Many starting loads in manuals are maximum or very close to maximum when using Lake City 7.62x51mm brass. Use the following data when reloading it:Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the reference those table came from?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

What caliber? Lake City 5.56mm brass is virtually identical to commercial cases. Some foreign 5.56mm brass is way heavy and needs reduced loads because of it. FNM headstamp was one variety that had very thick case walls.

Lake City 7.62x51mm brass needs reduced loads, usually 2.0 full grain lower than published data. Many starting loads in manuals are maximum or very close to maximum when using Lake City 7.62x51mm brass. Use the following data when reloading it:https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169460/002__2__jpg-3136385.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169460/004__2__jpg-3136386.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169460/001__2__jpg-3136387.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lake City 7.62x51mm brass needs reduced loads, usually 2.0 full grain lower than published data. Many starting loads in manuals are maximum or very close to maximum when using Lake City 7.62x51mm brass. Use the following data when reloading it:https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169460/002__2__jpg-3136385.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169460/004__2__jpg-3136386.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169460/001__2__jpg-3136387.JPG

Sir:  
LC 5.56 like most any military ammunition has the primer crimped in.  So I wouldn't say that.

OP:
FPNI..........
-most all military brass has crimped in primers which need to be dealt with.  
-Like any variety of brass there can weight differences which possibly can affect case volume.  

If you intend to reload, simply work up with the brass you intend on using..............  that will compensate for the variations.
Don't just pick some random loads on the internet.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

What caliber and headstamp brass are you looking to reload?

Is this for precision loads? Asking since this is posted in the precision rifle section and precision case prep can/will have some additional steps...
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Emilio2906:
What is the reference those table came from?
View Quote

Pressure testing performed by Wm. C. Davis Jr. on behest of the NRA. Mr. Davis served as Chief Ballistician at two different Army Ammunition Plants and was the US Armed Forces representative to NATO's ammunition commonality board for manufacturing standards across all NATO member states.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TGH456E:

Sir:  
LC 5.56 like most any military ammunition has the primer crimped in.  So I wouldn't say that.

OP:
FPNI..........
-most all military brass has crimped in primers which need to be dealt with.  
-Like any variety of brass there can weight differences which possibly can affect case volume.  

If you intend to reload, simply work up with the brass you intend on using..............  that will compensate for the variations.
Don't just pick some random loads on the internet.  
View Quote

Some commercial brass sources have crimped in primers as well. .223 commercial brass manufactured in the USA is virtually identical to Lake City 5.56mm as far as case capacity is concerned.

Foreign military 5.56mm can be all over the place.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:50:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Normlizer] [#8]
Got some lc x51 machine gun brass and i had to use a small base die on them. Also the crimp but thats easy on a super swage.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Normlizer:
Got some lc x51 machine gun brass and i had to use a small base die on them. Also the crimp but thats easy on a super swage.
View Quote

7.62x51mm headspace gauges will pass .308 field reject gauges. The military chamber is that much longer than commercial .308.

US Armed Forces M14's at Camp Perry in the 1980's had fired brass that was almost impossible to resize. These were match rifles in top condition.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:56:03 AM EDT
[#10]

7.62x51mm headspace gauges will pass .308 field reject gauges. The military chamber is that much longer than commercial .308.

US Armed Forces M14's at Camp Perry in the 1980's had fired brass that was almost impossible to resize. These were match rifles in top condition.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Normlizer:

These were for a R700 worked chambered fine after using the small base die.  Was way to tight using a reg fl size die.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Commercial Ammo with crimped primer pockets"
I have shot Black Hills Red Box in 223 that had crimped primers and sealed with red colored sealant.  I have seen Federal ammo with crimped primer pockets.
Top Top