Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2023 4:28:06 PM EDT
How many rounds do you shoot from a given lot/batch of ammo to determine the average velocity for the lot/batch?

Today was my first time using a chronograph.  I shot 5 rounds each from 2 different lots. One lot average about 20fps faster than the other.

In your experience, is that enough to get a good average velocity for purposes of calculating how much to dial?
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 7:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#2]
First go around when I'm still developing a load five rounds, once I'm getting close to an ideal load and am going to use fps in a ballistic program I do ten rounds.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
First go around when I'm still developing a load five rounds, once I'm getting close to an ideal load and am going to use fps in a ballistic program I do ten rounds.
View Quote
Exactly my method also.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what is being shot.

When I shoot metallic cartridges, 5 minimum and prefer 10.  

When I shoot a muzzle loader or my buddy is shooting his smokeless muzzle loader (yeah, you read that right) it is 3 or 5 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Lab Radar. Factory Hornady Match 6MM Creed 108 eld ( all the same lot). Five shot average allows me to shoot five inch groups at 1000. Good enough for a 70 year old.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.

I am going to try 10 rds next time but I think I am okay with the 5 rd sample for now.

I have a "long range" shooting class coming up. It is part of the process to certification for use of my club's 600 yard range. I know that is really medium range but it is still twice as far as I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless you're looking for Xs, five rounds will be good enough for 600.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree ten rounds is sufficient. But I do five rounds at three different temperatures usually 85,60 and around 35 degrees. That way I don’t have any powder sensitive surprises. It has taught me that certain powders can be temperature sensitive especially ball powder.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Ten rounds is what I use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top