Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2023 2:21:00 AM EDT
I am trying to come up with the lightest NRL22 rifle I can for, um, reasons, and one thing I have been struggling with is what optic.  I currently have the 3-15 LHT, and while it is super light I am not as much of a fan of the reticle, AND that it is SFP which means I have spent time at matches trying to locate targets on 15x or stupidly missing them because I wasn't at 15x and my dope was wrong.  Yeah, I know I need to get better.  

I have been looking at FFP scopes (with some type of Christmas tree reticle AND parallax under 25y) in the next higher common range around 5-25x -ish.  The problem is every one I have looked at so far is a brick.  I own an XTR3 5.5-30x, a Vortex 4.5-27, a couple of Athlons and other scopes in this range, and they are all heavy as heck.  Then I discovered the Vortex RAZOR® HD LHT™ 4.5-22X50.  This seems to check most of the boxes in a package that is much lighter, in some comparisons half of the weight, and the online reviews seem positive.

So, am I missing anything obvious with this?  Who has this scope, anything to add?  Is there another manufacturer that producing a similarly light scope with the other features.  (FFP, some type of Christmas tree reticle, parallax under 25y, around 5-25x -ish)

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By barrysuperhawk:
I am trying to come up with the lightest NRL22 rifle I can for, um, reasons, and one thing I have been struggling with is what optic.  I currently have the 3-15 LHT, and while it is super light I am not as much of a fan of the reticle, AND that it is SFP which means I have spent time at matches trying to locate targets on 15x or stupidly missing them because I wasn't at 15x and my dope was wrong.  Yeah, I know I need to get better.  

I have been looking at FFP scopes (with some type of Christmas tree reticle AND parallax under 25y) in the next higher common range around 5-25x -ish.  The problem is every one I have looked at so far is a brick.  I own an XTR3 5.5-30x, a Vortex 4.5-27, a couple of Athlons and other scopes in this range, and they are all heavy as heck.  Then I discovered the Vortex RAZOR® HD LHT™ 4.5-22X50.  This seems to check most of the boxes in a package that is much lighter, in some comparisons half of the weight, and the online reviews seem positive.

So, am I missing anything obvious with this?  Who has this scope, anything to add?  Is there another manufacturer that producing a similarly light scope with the other features.  (FFP, some type of Christmas tree reticle, parallax under 25y, around 5-25x -ish)

View Quote

Tagged
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The issue with the LHT is going to be the elevation turret that’s limited to two turns, it’s not going to get you far on a 22, it ends up being about half of the travel that you want. Sure you can dial some and hold some but that’s a mind fuck when you’re on the clock and then you’re limited on the magnification you can run so you can see enough lines on the reticle.

I like the LHT line a lot but no way would I put one on a 22 destined for PRS and NRL 22 matches. There’s a lot of better suited optics in the same price range.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hiih8r:
The issue with the LHT is going to be the elevation turret that’s limited to two turns, it’s not going to get you far on a 22, it ends up being about half of the travel that you want. Sure you can dial some and hold some but that’s a mind fuck when you’re on the clock and then you’re limited on the magnification you can run so you can see enough lines on the reticle.

I like the LHT line a lot but no way would I put one on a 22 destined for PRS and NRL 22 matches. There’s a lot of better suited optics in the same price range.
View Quote

Like what?
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]

So, it seems I duped myself, but nevermind.  The scope in question seems to be the lightest FFP scope with a Christmas tree reticle that I have found.  I am less concerned with zero stops and turret revolutions, because I use the reticle for my holdovers AND I intend to put enough MOA into the base (I have both 20 and 30 moa bases available) so I am at the bottom of the adjustment so I can use most of the adjustment to dial if I need to hit longer than I have reticle for...although TBH I will probably run out of skill way before I run out of clicks.  Napkin math 22.4 mrad max elevation, plus 10 mrad of reticle gets me out around 500 with subsonic ammo with a scope mounted dead level with the bore.  Add in a 20 MOA base for around 5-3/4 more MRAD or a 30 MOA base for an extra 8-3/4 mrad (remember napkin math) and that should get me way farther than I am likely to ever be able to hit anything with a .22 even allowing for perfect conditions, especially with a scope that tops out at 22x.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Smol update, So, I bought it, and I shot the January COF with it a couple weekends ago, and guys, I am thrilled with this.  I am not going to attempt an actual review, but this scope does everything I need it to do, all while weighing almost nothing.  Seriously, compared to the XTR3 on another gun, this thing almost floats, and 22x is plenty for NRL22.  The reticle was perfect for the holdovers and everything worked out great.   The only annoying thing I found was TOTALLY NOT ANY FAULT OF THE SCOPE ITSELF.  The aftermarket scope throw lever is permanently clocked to be right in the way of the bolt at max mag, and since there is a bump, it can't be rotated. on the power ring.  Yeah, its a small thing, but I was dang cold at the time and not appreciative of the banged knuckles when I tried to run the bolt fast.
Top Top