Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2016 7:32:55 PM EDT
What do I need for a basic starter kit to clean this thing?
My first bolt gun and I want to make sure I clean it properly.
I don't have any supplies or rods yet.

(actually have a few boresnakes but they are for .223 and 9mm)
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw away your boresnakes!!!

Get a good chamber guide, a good, one-piece rod, a push-through type jag and some snug patches. Any good solvent will do (like Hoppes No.9) A small toothbrush for the bolt face and you'll be set.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank-- I don't clean my ARs and glocks much
But that's what the bore snakes are for

I do want to make sure I clean this one right
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
On my RPR I use a bore guide from Possom Hollow. The bore guide keeps crap from getting into the action and trigger assembly. It also keeps the cleaning rods from scraping the chamber.

For guides I use a 36" carbon fiber one from Tipton. Works good so far. I use nylon brushes and bore jag.

I have been using M-Pro7 as a cleaner. It works good and doesn't smell like other stuff.

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
On my RPR I use a bore guide from Possom Hollow. The bore guide keeps crap from getting into the action and trigger assembly. It also keeps the cleaning rods from scraping the chamber.

For guides I use a 36" carbon fiber one from Tipton. Works good so far. I use nylon brushes and bore jag.

I have been using M-Pro7 as a cleaner. It works good and doesn't smell like other stuff.
View Quote
What model boreguide? I can't find this RPR possum Hollow Bore guide everyone is talking about.

@EzGoingKev
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I could not find on their site either so I called them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#6]
Interesting topic...

You DO want to get/have conventional cleaning equipment...  I have a 1 piece Tipton carbon fiber rod and a generic bore guide.  All my attachments that go on the end of the rod are nylon - brush, jag, slotted patch loop, etc.  You also want a good nylon brush, some cotton flannel patches, and a good general solvent like Hoppe's #9.  Having said that, I only use "conventional cleaning equipment" in a "Precision Rifle" relatively rarely as I want to get to a point of "copper equilibrium" in the bore.  Because I can not bring myself to shoot my rifle and not do something to "clean" it - this is what I use a bore snake for.  After a day of shooting, I take my rifle home and remove the bolt...  I stand the rifle on its muzzle on a rag on the floor and flood the chamber with WD-40 and let it run down the barrel to the muzzle...  I let it "soak" for 5 minutes...  then I lift the rifle off the rag and thread a (dry) boresnake and make 2 passes with it.  That's it for cleaning the bore.  I dry the chamber with a dry mop and then brush the bolt face and wipe down the bolt with a lightly oiled cloth.  I then use a toothpick and some quality lube (I like Wilson Ultima Lube Universal) to lightly and carefully lube the friction points on the bolt...  I then replace the bolt back in the gun and then store until the next outing.  So far I have not needed to do any "agressive" copper removal.  I wonder how many rounds I will run down the barrel before I think that it is necessary...  time will tell.
Top Top