Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2024 1:08:15 AM EDT
I had a chance recently to look through some of their glass for the first time, and was impressed.  As a Pro Photographer, scope glass rarely impresses me ... just saying, I wanna try an Athlon scope.  But their catalog is SO big, any chance there's a consensus on what the best scopes are in their lineup?  Doesn't matter magnification range, I got a rifle for any occasion.  Just if I'm buying an Athlon, what's the best all their lines?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:33:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
Athlon Optics Talos Rifle Scope 4-16x 40mm  1 in tube mil-dot reticle capped turrets second focal plane under $200.

I know they make others with more features some FFP but this is a fairly light compact optic in the magnification range I want with a mil dot reticle I can use for known hold over at 16 x by running a ballistic chart in MIL.

As you probably know one selects an optic based on exactly what they want to use it for. One would not use a 35mm Nikon 20 mm lens for the same use as a 6x6 cm Hasselblad 180 mm lens.

Paul Simon - Kodachrome (Official Audio)
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 3:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you should get the top end scope they make.

Crocnus BTR.  

I have an earlier generation on my PRS rifle.  It tracks true and optics are pretty good for the price.  

I struggled to see a difference between mine and tier 1 scopes in good conditions.   In low light or when extreme detail must be resolved, the tier 1 scopes earn their keep.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:23:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#3]
2.5-15 x 50, side parallax and half mil dot reticle - first focal plane with HD glass.  Well priced and effective out to reasonable distance ~ 800m
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]
How much do you want to spend?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Athlon Optics Talos Rifle Scope 4-16x 40mm  1 in tube mil-dot reticle capped turrets second focal plane under $200.

I know they make others with more features some FFP but this is a fairly light compact optic in the magnification range I want with a mil dot reticle I can use for known hold over at 16 x by running a ballistic chart in MIL.

As you probably know one selects an optic based on exactly what they want to use it for. One would not use a 35mm Nikon 20 mm lens for the same use as a 6x6 cm Hasselblad 180 mm lens.
View Quote

Reminds me of a Weaver Tactical 3-10 mil-dot, crystal clear and weighed nothing.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jhoyda1:
How much do you want to spend?
View Quote

Doesn't matter.  Gotta buy to try, and it'll either find a permanent home or it won't.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
2.5-15 x 50, side parallax and half mil dot reticle - first focal plane with HD glass.  Well priced and effective out to reasonable distance ~ 800m
View Quote

This the one you mean?

https://athlonoptics.com/product/midas-hmr-2-5-15x50-ahmr/
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I put a 2-12 gen2 Helos mil reticle on a rifle to try.  It tracks perfectly, so when ExpertVoice had a deal, I put an ARES ETR UHD 3-18x50 APRS6 on a Bergara B14r.

Attachment Attached File

So far it's worth the extra cash over the Helos.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Vapor_Man:
I had a chance recently to look through some of their glass for the first time, and was impressed.  As a Pro Photographer, scope glass rarely impresses me ... just saying, I wanna try an Athlon scope.  But their catalog is SO big, any chance there's a consensus on what the best scopes are in their lineup?  Doesn't matter magnification range, I got a rifle for any occasion.  Just if I'm buying an Athlon, what's the best all their lines?
View Quote

As a pro photographer, you’ve got to know that there are different tiers of optical performance, even in the same brand.

The best scope in their lineup will be their most expensive, the Cronus BTR Gen 2 UHD. Image quality goes down from there. The ARES ETR/BTR get good reviews. Below that, there’s going to be a noticeable drop off in optical quality.

Do you know what model you looked at? You may can save yourself some money by going with a cheaper scope if the glass impressed you.

Honestly, if I was going for a Cronus BTR, I’d strongly suggest looking for a used Gen 2 Vortex Razor. Having compared them side by side, the Gen 2 Razor had better glass and a more forgiving eye box.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

As a pro photographer, you’ve got to know that there are different tiers of optical performance, even in the same brand.

The best scope in their lineup will be their most expensive, the Cronus BTR Gen 2 UHD. Image quality goes down from there. The ARES ETR/BTR get good reviews. Below that, there’s going to be a noticeable drop off in optical quality.

Do you know what model you looked at? You may can save yourself some money by going with a cheaper scope if the glass impressed you.

Honestly, if I was going for a Cronus BTR, I’d strongly suggest looking for a used Gen 2 Vortex Razor. Having compared them side by side, the Gen 2 Razor had better glass and a more forgiving eye box.
View Quote

I own a Cronus BTR and a Gen 2 Razor. I actually feel the edge to edge clarity on the Cronus is better. As I’m sure you’re aware, glass quality is subjective to the individual and on high quality scopes, it’s splitting hairs most of the time.
Eye box is a wash to me, both have been very usable on my 6.5 Creedmoors.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#11]
None.
Top Top