Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2023 2:48:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980]
I have a Gen3 Ruger Precision Rifle (DDE) .308 20"bbl, Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 FFP MOA, Vortex Pro 34mm Mount, Magpul Bipod, B5 T25 Coyote Grip and a Bubble level.
200rds total fired since purchased new a few years back. In like new condition.
Attachment Attached File

My go to shop has a Desert Tech SRS A1 .338 Lapua, it has a Vortex PST Gen2 5-25 MOA scope, Harris bipod, Vortex 30mm 20moa mount, Vortex bubble level and a Pelican Vault hard case. There has been a few owners and the round count is unknown. It is currently spray painted a dark camouflage. I will see it tomorrow at the gun shop.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Seems to good to be true! What am I missing about the gun or the round? For the Record... I admittedly know Jack & Shite about LR, ELR, Precision or LR Rifles and Scopes.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
In a fucking heartbeat. Even if I didn’t have access to appropriately use the cartridge that’s a steal.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
In a fucking heartbeat. Even if I didn’t have access to appropriately use the cartridge that’s a steal.
View Quote

Yep. It’s going to be more expensive to shoot, but it’s a nice gun and a better optic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If you won't, I'll offer my RPR for it.

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 2:10:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#5]
Is there anything specifically to be concerned with or lookout for?

Also thank you very much for the advice.

ETA... DT SRS owner wants $1500 + My RPR as is for the trade! Is it still worth it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:

ETA... DT SRS owner wants $1500 + My RPR as is for the trade! Is it still worth it?
View Quote

I kinda figured there was a catch. I don’t think I would at this moment with ammo availability unless he threw in dies and components. Do you actually have the range to shoot the .338?
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I kinda figured there was a catch. I don’t think I would at this moment with ammo availability unless he threw in dies and components. Do you actually have the range to shoot the .338?
View Quote

That's the funny thing... I was going to pass, even before the $1500 and full terms were finally discussed. On the other hand, I do have the range to possibly send it to at least 1k, maybe even a bit more but this was never apart of any real plan of mine so I am kind of crossed right now about it. It just seems like a bad move to pass on an anti-material rifle for such a low investment.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:44:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Pass. .338s sound cool until it comes time to feed it and I wouldn’t get one without 1500+ yards to shoot it.
View Quote

Kinda where I'm at with it. A employee at the gun shop decided to handle the SRS A-1 after me and started dry firing and pulled the trigger back way past it's mechanical stop and broke it. Owner said its a $400 fix and was super pissed. I felt bad but looked at it as a sign. Maybe I just avoided a lemon or maybe I can pick it up for a better deal. Who knows lol.

Tell you this much it was a super sexy rifle. It's compact size alone is unbelievable. Why am I still interested?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 2:24:18 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Ah.  One of those friends.

No. I'd walk.  It's a steal for an even swap.  But for an extra $1500; no - as that's a very specialty performance round that's overkill for most applications - unless you hunt things 1400 yards away; and exotic to feed.

Also, I'd probably never bother to do a trade or other deal with said "friend" again.  Or at the least, be very suspect and cautious.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 2:29:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless you have another precision rifle in a more economic caliber, you have a range to make use of the round, and it doesn’t have 1500 rnds through it already (“hotdog down a hallway” shot out), I’d pass. I love my TRG in .338LM but it doesn’t get used much. I just can’t bring myself to sell it. Reloading brings the cost to shoot down to reasonable levels but it’s still more expensive than .50 BMG ball ammo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:48:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Ah.  One of those friends.

No. I'd walk.  It's a steal for an even swap.  But for an extra $1500; no - as that's a very specialty performance round that's overkill for most applications - unless you hunt things 1400 yards away; and exotic to feed.

Also, I'd probably never bother to do a trade or other deal with said "friend" again.  Or at the least, be very suspect and cautious.
View Quote

I actually do consider him a friend. I don't think his business etiquette was lacking integrity. We never discussed real terms when he approached me to gauge my interest in a possible deal. He most likely assumed I knew it was a very expensive gun, so it was implied I would need to balance the scales a bit. Honestly the same could be said about me for not knowing a .308 RPR is not in the same league has the DT SRS-A1. It is because our friendship such relaxed deals can be negotiated. How do you criticize a man for bringing a DT SRS-A1 to the table to trade for a Ruger Precision .308.

In regards to the broken trigger, I personally see this as a major plus! Shit happens with all guns, now I get to see how Desert Tech will handle things that break.

I am still interested. I just want to shoot it now, but I think I may move on it!
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 5:22:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#15]
I don't see how this deal is bad for me. This deal would net me roughly $2642 in estimated total investment value. That's without mentioning the Mile plus this bad mama can reach and extend my effective range. I called the company today and their products carry lifetime warranties and are fully transferable! They have parts in stock and this platform is still  current and viable. What really sold me to want this deal is this story....
https://www.foxnews.com/us/desert-tech-utah-gunmaker-turns-down-15-million-deal-with-pakistan#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16916591442129&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Fus%2Fdesert-tech-utah-gunmaker-turns-down-15-million-deal-with-pakistan

I'll keep you all posted!
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#17]

It's not a bad deal but it's just the caliber and having to get a whole conversion kit start adding cost to the project. Also if you shot the .338 there is that cost too. Seems like you are sold on it so just get it.
View Quote

When you say conversion your referring to additional calibers to make this make sense?

.308 would be nice to have too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:10:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#19]
So in the end I even got a 20rd box and 6 loose rounds of Hornady ELD Match .338 Lapua Magnum 285gr @$7.50per/rd and 2 rds of OTM.
Attachment Attached File

Things are definitely changing for the better IMO....
Attachment Attached File

I also included a bare 16" SIG LEGACY MCX PATROL URG to appease the difference in value and for some reason kept my Magpul Bipod. I now own a Desert Tech SRS A1 Gen1 with a broken trigger yet I am still one excited SOB...Yay!
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#20]
No. I hate bullpups.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Yup. I will trade my Tikka Tac A1 for it if you don't want it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 7:53:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#22]
Shout out to Desert Tech for being an outstanding company to do business with. Not only did they make several repairs caused by the previous owner and the shitty sand blasting prep before the shit paint job, they sonic cleaned and repainted it for me for a very small fee which I don't even consider fair but they insisted. They have earned a loyal customer!

ETA... Sorry I forgot the pic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Shout out to Desert Tech for being an outstanding company to do business with. Not only did they make several repairs caused by the previous owner and the shitty sand blasting prep before the shit paint job, they sonic cleaned and repainted it for me for a very small fee which I don't even consider fair but they insisted. They have earned a loyal customer!

ETA... Sorry I forgot the pic.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/LeGeer_134701743985541_jpeg-2950678.JPG
View Quote

That's a different rifle, OP.

Congrats! Now git out there and use it!
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:39:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#24]

That's the funny thing... I was going to pass, even before the $1500 and full terms were finally discussed. On the other hand, I do have the range to possibly send it to at least 1k, maybe even a bit more but this was never apart of any real plan of mine so I am kind of crossed right now about it. It just seems like a bad move to pass on an anti-material rifle for such a low investment.
View Quote

I would pass. I have shot the LM, not in that rifle, and unless I was looking for a 1,500 yd + gun, I am, I wouldn’t make that trade. Two factors would affect my decision:

Comfort to shoot regularly and enough ammo to shoot regularly.

Good luck!

Edit: should have read to the bottom! Congratulations and good job DT!

Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By lew:

That's a different rifle, OP.

Congrats! Now git out there and use it!
View Quote

That's what I said... They did such a great job it's like a whole new gun! I can't wait for it to arrive home today! Thanks Desert Tech.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally got it back.

Before
Attachment Attached File

After
Attachment Attached File

Definitely a happy customer. The great news for me is not only did Desert Tech fix the Trigger, they fixed all the issues, sonic cleaned the gun for free, and they also removed the spray paint and factory refinished the complete gun in FDE for only $100. They're also sending me brand new 1913 panels for my rail in black too that will be here by the weekend and they even threw in a free Desert Tech hat! Way to go DT!
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Finally got it back.

Before
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/10_Desert_Tech_SRS_A1_jpg-2952976.JPG

After
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20230913_125153_jpg-2952975.JPG

Definitely a happy customer. The great news for me is not only did Desert Tech fix the Trigger, they fixed all the issues, sonic cleaned the gun for free, and they also removed the spray paint and factory refinished the complete gun in FDE for only $100. They're also sending me brand new 1913 panels for my rail in black too that will be here by the weekend and they even threw in a free Desert Tech hat! Way to go DT!
View Quote

Now that’s service. Looks like you did well on your trade.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:41:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#28]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Now that’s service. Looks like you did well on your trade.
View Quote

It was definitely a gamble and learning experience to acquire. The previous owner presumably gave it no TLC but didn't destroy it. It had horrible prep and spray paint work coupled with the obvious lack of maintenance and a high cost to shoot, but it wasn't a lost cause.

The only issues the SRS really had were all minor and cosmetic; a filthy barrel, a broken trigger, a damaged monopod and it's paint job. I'm guessing all things combined must've made him assume it was better to sell for a Ruger Precision and about $1500 in parts. I literally invested less than $2k for my items, which we're all used but in immaculate condition. I could've probably offered less but I wanted to secure the deal, especially after calling Desert Tech and inquiring about warranty type and transferability.

The DT may have been no prize catch at first in the eyes of many, but it was basically cosmetic and after the factory refresh it is back to above 95% condition to an almost like new status. This all goes to show how one man's trash is truly another man's treasure.

Thanks again to Desert Tech! They really stepped up and went above and beyond and earned me as a customer.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s a nice rifle!

I’ve lusted after one of those, since they first came out.

Right now, I’m trying very hard to talk myself out of buying a Barrett MRAD in .300 Norma Magnum.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Sweet. Get a 6.5 or .308 conversion so you can afford to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
That’s a nice rifle!

Right now, I’m trying very hard to talk myself out of buying a Barrett MRAD in .300 Norma Magnum.
View Quote

@Dr_Nimslow
Thank you very much, you should definitely get the Barrett, It is such a beautiful rifle!
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
View Quote

@Pro_Patria_431
That's the plan, right now it's just sitting in the safe, in need of a .308 bbl.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#32]

@Dr_Nimslow
Thank you very much, you should definitely get the Barrett, It is such a beautiful rifle!

@Pro_Patria_431
That's the plan, right now it's just sitting in the safe, in need of a .308 bbl.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
That’s a nice rifle!

@Dr_Nimslow
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:

@Pro_Patria_431

@GLD1980

I actually did order an MRAD this last weekend.  Since it's going to be a while before I'm setup to load .300NM, I also got a .300PRC barrel.  I do believe I'd better get either a .308 or 6.5 Creedmore soon as well.  Powder and primers for the .300's are impossible to find right now, at least 6.5 is available locally.

Go big, or go home I guess.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#33]

@GLD1980

I actually did order an MRAD this last weekend.  Since it's going to be a while before I'm setup to load .300NM, I also got a .300PRC barrel.  I do believe I'd better get either a .308 or 6.5 Creedmore soon as well.  Powder and primers for the .300's are impossible to find right now, at least 6.5 is available locally.

Go big, or go home I guess.
View Quote

@Dr_Nimslow

Congrats!

I still can't believe I have a big boy rifle. When does it set in?
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#35]

When you have to start feeding it. LOL
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2023 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#36]

@Dr_Nimslow

Congrats!

I still can't believe I have a big boy rifle. When does it set in?
View Quote

Go price some caliber conversion kits, and ammo.  That should help.  

I'm still in the "what have I done" stage.  I have to drive 90 minutes to shoot over 300 yards.  But I was in a good place to buy the rifle now, so if nothing else, it gives me a retirement hobby in a few years.  And I'm the only kid on my block with one, so there is that.

Of course, now I'll need a suppressor that will eventually handle the .338NM.

I still cant get over how svelte and trim that SRS looks, compared to the MRAD.  I'm guessing my rifle will be pushing 20 pounds when it's all over and done with.  It looks freaking HUGE compared to yours.

When you have to start feeding it. LOL
View Quote

I've spent the last few days pricing out reloading supplies, even that is giving my discretionary spending account a stroke.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Go price some caliber conversion kits, and ammo.  That should help.  

I'm still in the "what have I done" stage.  I have to drive 90 minutes to shoot over 300 yards.  But I was in a good place to buy the rifle now, so if nothing else, it gives me a retirement hobby in a few years.  And I'm the only kid on my block with one, so there is that.

Of course, now I'll need a suppressor that will eventually handle the .338NM.

I still cant get over how svelte and trim that SRS looks, compared to the MRAD.  I'm guessing my rifle will be pushing 20 pounds when it's all over and done with.  It looks freaking HUGE compared to yours.

I've spent the last few days pricing out reloading supplies, even that is giving my discretionary spending account a stroke.
View Quote

You need a HTI in .375 CT or .416 Barrett to take the sting out of the .338.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#38]
@GLD1980

You sir, are a bad influence.  

If I needed to carry it for any distance greater than from the car, to the shooting bench at the range, I'd want the SRS.

Top Top