Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2024 2:12:03 AM EDT
I'm watching a bunch of Viking Tactical drill videos and, over and over again, the instructor talks about "driving the weapon to the target."

I have no idea what this means. Given the context, it seems to be about aggressiveness and getting sight on target as fast as possible.

Anyone know what this means who can help me out, please?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:41:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#1]
I have no idea. Maybe using the extended C grip?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
If your questions are about target transactions it’s really about vision

Pick a small spot on target 1, engage and as you fire your second shot your eyes should immediately move to a small spot on the next target to repeat the process.

Look into some videos from Ben Stoeger. He does an excellent job explaining “shooting to your vision”

The dude is a wizard and he’s paid by several top tier military units to train them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Exactly how you described it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Look into some videos from Ben Stoeger.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:55:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#5]
IMO it is about a process. This is how I was taught. I am sure there are variations in technique. But I think this is the jist of it.

The short version is looking, indexing, driving the weapon to the firing position from a low ready chest level retention or a holster to weapon eyes level, driving the weapon forward picking up the sights as you drive the weapon forward to the point shoulder firing position and finger on trigger when sights on and decision to fire is made.

The long version:

You naturally look at something and use your peripheral vision. If you were to point at something you don't swing your arm to point without first looking at the thing you are going to point at. You look, index and point. It is what you do naturally, so when shooting you should use that as a basis, since you are already good at it.

When doing target transitions and when acquiring the first pop up target, whether moving or standing still, you look with your head / eyes focus on a small spot, then drive your weapon sites to that spot. It is important to go eyes on target then weapon on target in that order.

Nobody walks around with the weapon at arms length or pointed down at the ground ( or up ) arms extended like they do in 1970 cop shows.

The weapon is held in a low ready retention position, upper chest level, your head moves with your eyes and you use your peripheral vision for movement. When a target is noticed you look at the target with your eyes, index your head, ID your target while moving you body index to the target and bringing your weapon up from the low ready retention to the firing position ( driving the gun sights on if using the sights) which may be 1 arm bent elbow contact firing and brace / defensive position, a 2 hand or 1 hand bent elbow retention firing position, or a 1 or 2 hand point shoulder firing position, sights on spot on target, finger on trigger when on target and decision to fire is made, fire.

Just like the spinning ice skater, you turn slower with arms extended compared to arms in close. Indexing your body to the threat with the weapon at a low ready retention position also keep the weapon in a retention position until you decide if you need to shoot from a retention position or from a more accurate distance dependent point shoulder position using the sights.Either way, the weapon is moved from the  low ready retention position and 'driven' to the firing position for a pistol, one arm bent elbow retention firing position, 2 hand bent elbow firing position or a 1 or 2 hand point shoulder firing position by bringing the weapon up to eye level with bent elbows then driving the weapon forward to the point shoulder firing position picking up the sights and placing them on the spot on the threat  in a deliberate aggressive manner being able to shoot sights as required even before your arms are straight out.

These movements including order,  need to be muscle memory and done re-actively.

Using a rifle is similiar.

Speed is no wasted movements.

This may or may not align with how others describe it or explain it or teach it., this is what I have been taught for a long time. maybe there is something new out there, maybe not.
I might even be wrong. YMMV

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
If your questions are about target transactions it’s really about vision

Pick a small spot on target 1, engage and as you fire your second shot your eyes should immediately move to a small spot on the next target to repeat the process.

Look into some videos from Ben Stoeger. He does an excellent job explaining “shooting to your vision”

The dude is a wizard and he’s paid by several top tier military units to train them.
View Quote

This.  Ben encourages you to stay loose and move the weapon "like you are moving a computer mouse"
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Per Bill Rogers, I've found that shooting reactive targets like falling steel gets me the quickest results at eliminating unnecessary movement:

Most of us are allergic to mistakes. When we make one, our every instinct urges us to look away, ignore it, and pretend it didn’t happen. This is not
good, because as we’ve seen, mistakes are our guideposts for improvement. Brain-scan studies reveal a vital instant, 0.25 seconds after a
mistake is made, in which people do one of two things—they look hard at the mistake or they ignore it. People who pay deeper attention to an error
learn significantly more than those who ignore it.

Develop the habit of attending to your errors right away. Don’t wince, don’t close your eyes; look straight at them and see what really happened,
and ask yourself what you can do next to improve. Take mistakes seriously, but never personally.
View Quote

-The Little Book of Talent
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Great stuff, everybody! Thanks. I'll check out Ben Stoeger's videos and start working on it at the range and, especially the next trip outdoors, where I plan to start shooting at multiple targets at variable angles and distances.

Very helpful! Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mach:
The short version is looking, indexing, driving the weapon to the firing position from a low ready chest level retention or a holster to weapon eyes level, driving the weapon forward picking up the sights as you drive the weapon forward to the point shoulder firing position and finger on trigger when sights on and decision to fire is made.
View Quote

Thank you for taking the time to explain it so thoroughly. I realized as I was reading your short version, that this is exactly what another member here was teaching me how to do with his Glock a few weeks ago. He may have even used the phrase and I didn't make the connection. I should have a good chance to start working on that with my ARs pretty soon.

Thanks again. Great explanation. I was able to follow it perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Everything above sounds spot-on.

Top Top