Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2024 12:58:23 PM EDT
Do you put anything in the primer pocket to absorb the firing pin?  I've thought of some of that shoe repair goo that dries clear and is rubbery type where it stays pliable.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I just buy a whole pack of snap caps....

but, if you wanna make your own...I'm sure some rubbery adhesive will work. Maybe a dot of latex caulk or something. Or shoe goo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:20:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
I just buy a whole pack of snap caps....

but, if you wanna make your own...I'm sure some rubbery adhesive will work. Maybe a dot of latex caulk or something. Or shoe goo.
View Quote

Yeah, for training purposes, why not just get commercially made snap caps? They’re also usually funny colored to ensure there’s no risk of mistaking them with live rounds. Reduces the risk of things getting Rusty.

That said, for realistic looking dummy rounds, what’s wrong with simply popping/firing the primer after removing the bullet and powder, and leaving the dented primer when reseating the bullet?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a block eracer I use with empty cases to cookie cutter a rubber plug that fits the primer pocket.  Been a long time and can't remember the case used but I extreme outside bevel a case.
  Drill out the primer pocket of case being used to make cookie cutter plugs .
 Slice off the eraser block a primer thickness slab.

Now you press mouth of case into eraser and spin or turn and create plug.
Push plug out of case neck through drilled primer pocket allowing rod,bamboo stick to push it through.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use shot brass and leave the used primer in it
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By johnnydjr:
FPNI
View Quote
Snap caps are a waste of money unless you're shooting rimfire or an antique.

They don't have the same weight as dummy rounds for full mag reload practice.  And I know you aren't using live rounds in practice, right?

I leave the primer out for safety.  No primer, no bang.  And I knew it was a dummy round and not a squib.

Forget the snap cap.  Modern handguns can handle a shitload of dry firing without damage.

And if it breaks, replace it.  It's a tool.  Not a beautiful artifact for staring at.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:

They don't have the same weight as dummy rounds for full mag reload practice.  And I know you aren't using live rounds in practice, right?

I leave the primer out for safety.  No primer, no bang.  And I knew it was a dummy round and not a squib.

Forget the snap cap.  Modern handguns can handle a shitload of dry firing without damage.

And if it breaks, replace it.  It's a tool.  Not a beautiful artifact for staring at.

View Quote

I mean, you do you, but snap caps are cheap as hell nowadays.

TechStudio3D 9mm Dummy Rounds, Snap Caps - Neon Green - Firearms Dry Fire Ammo for Training - Made in USA
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Also, per your post,

I'd rather "waste money" on snapcaps than "And if it breaks, replace it.  It's a tool.  Not a beautiful artifact for staring at."
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

this

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Start reading Brian Enos' forum.  Competition tends to cut through the BS.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/119701-dry-fire-is-a-snap-cap-necessary/
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Hot glue, deprimed case, and bullet weight of your choice.

DIY DUMMY ROUNDS, Weighted & Rugged!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the responses.  The reason I’d prefer not to have regular snap caps is i want the weight to be the same for reloads and feel.  It’s not just one snap cap in the gun as that wouldn’t make a difference but a mag full with it or a moonclip full.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Top Top