Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2024 10:35:09 PM EDT
Interesting look at the search for universal shooting standards.  The main purpose was to create a few standards to progress the groups that operate in a variety of lighting conditions and have different equipment to navigate:

GBRS Group - Developing Universal Shooting Standards

Day/Gas Mask/Passive NVG all under the same time/distance standards
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooting a rifle at 5 yards? How is that helpful? Admittedly I just watched the first few minutes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrizzlyAdams:
Shooting a rifle at 5 yards? How is that helpful? Admittedly I just watched the first few minutes.
View Quote
"Why are all my shots low at this range?"
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:03:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#3]
View Quote

Fighting inside rooms.  5 yards is about right for that.  If you haven't done those sort of drills before, the first time it will probably feel like rolling down the stairs in a wheelchair to attempt to meet the time standard.  CQB is all about getting hits inside relevant times.

Shooting a rifle at 5 yards is actually highly relevant to average gun owners as home defense is the most likely place you would use a long gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the Instructor Standards by Paul Howe CSAT.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
I like the Instructor Standards by Paul Howe CSAT.
View Quote

I do as well.  There is some crossover (low ready, transition to pistol).  Paul Howe's standards are I think overall better rounded, but they aren't the only specops standards out there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thinking about this more Paul Howe runs his standards with kit on, but running CSAT standards with variations such as slick, gasmask, and Passive NVG sound like a excellent training plan
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrizzlyAdams] [#7]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
View Quote

Was sight offset mentioned in the video?

From low ready to a hit under a second should be done at 25 yards. You can do it at 5 with your eyes closed.

I guess for a “standard” among a wide range of skillsets ya gotta start somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]

From low ready to a hit under a second should be done at 25 yards. You can do it at 5 with your eyes closed.

I guess for a “standard” among a wide range of skillsets ya gotta start somewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:

5 yards is pretty much a point shoot range.  Paul Howe uses 7 yards.  There is no doubt that instructors like Bill Rogers train to much higher standards.  I learned something training on paper targets, but shooting reactive steel targets got me a lot better.  But agreed, you gotta start somewhere.
Top Top