Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks.

Purposefully didn't ask advice on that auction beforehand so I wouldn't draw attention to it 🙂
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a good price for that gun.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Landric] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Landric:

...5- 327 Defender TORO 3" .327 Federal.  I just got this gun last month.  I bought it because I wanted to try a revolver with an optic and the "buzz" about Taurus has been that they have gotten their act together in the last few years.  It was pretty inexpensive, so I figured I would give them another chance more than a decade later.  I shouldn't have bothered.  The gun seemed fine when I picked it up at the dealer with a little dry firing before doing the 4473.  However, when I got it home after a little more dry firing the gun suddenly went out of time.  Every 4-6 trigger pulls a chamber would fail to line up with the hammer so badly that the pin would strike between chambers.  I never even got to shoot it before I had to send it back.  It is back at Taurus now.  I figure I am probably stuck with it, it won't have any resale value being both a Taurus and a .327 Mag.  Maybe they will be able to fix it.  Even if they can, the trigger was pretty lackluster even compared to a current S&W J-frame and the finish is garbage.  Assuming it returns fixed, maybe I can find someone who will give me $250 or a case of 9mm ammo for it.  I will not be fooled by Taurus again, for anything, no matter what the internet says....

View Quote

Update on this:  I got a call from Taurus on Thursday telling me that the gun was determined to be "out of spec" and "non-repairable."  It is being replaced with a new one.  I guess that is good, but it means I am out shipping on a brand new, unfired gun back to Taurus (they don't cover that) and a transfer fee to pick the new one up from my dealer.  So much for the cost savings of buying a Taurus.  Apparently they don't test fire or even function check these guns before sending them out.  This issue shouldn't have been hard to discover as it developed with minimal dryfire.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:00:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JaredGrey] [#4]
Originally Posted By Landric:

Update on this:  I got a call from Taurus on Thursday telling me that the gun was determined to be "out of spec" and "non-repairable."  It is being replaced with a new one.  I guess that is good, but it means I am out shipping on a brand new, unfired gun back to Taurus (they don't cover that) and a transfer fee to pick the new one up from my dealer.  So much for the cost savings of buying a Taurus.  Apparently they don't test fire or even function check these guns before sending them out.  This issue shouldn't have been hard to discover as it developed with minimal dryfire.
View Quote

This is my first post in the revolver forum, and I just had to use it to comment on your thread.

I work in gun store and send Taurus firearms back for repair 2-4 times a month.  Literally every time I’ve called Taurus for a repair issue, they’ve sent a prepaid FedEx shipping label (after I sit on hold for a half hour) via email. The only thing I’m out is time on the phone, a sheet of printer paper, some tape and a box. I’m honestly surprised they did not pay to return that revolver. Next time be meaner with the rep on the phone - they can EASILY get you free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a hair up my a$$ right now for a .460 S&W magnum and I'm looking at the Raging Hunter. Was considering starting a thread here when I saw this one.

Anyone have any experience with the Raging Hunter series?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTMcC] [#6]
We have an 85 that was made in the early '90's, it's been solid.
If buying today, I'd search out an older S&W or Colt, but have zero complaints with that steel 85 and it's been shoot quite a bit by me, Wife/Chic, Grandma and my kids.

I'm fairly "OOHHHH" new S&W. Some people get lucky, many people don't. That's just my take but fit & finish on older S&W's far exceeds new production despite their ability to turn out solid CNC steel today with very tight tolerances, tolerance doesn't trump assembly.
Combine today's machining tolerance ability,,,, with caring , loving assembly? Man, you'de have the world at your feet.

But, prices would be higher.

Taurus can be a crap shoot but they put out some solid product.

Edit: one of my (many) daughters still carrys that M85 even tho she has many options available. She's a solid DA Girl tho and shoots my Airweight 44 mag and chuckles at the grown men on this site who say it's like being hit in the hand by a metal baseball bat
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:

This is my first post in the revolver forum, and I just had to use it to comment on your thread.

I work in gun store and send Taurus firearms back for repair 2-4 times a month.  Literally every time I’ve called Taurus for a repair issue, they’ve sent a prepaid FedEx shipping label (after I sit on hold for a half hour) via email. The only thing I’m out is time on the phone, a sheet of printer paper, some tape and a box. I’m honestly surprised they did not pay to return that revolver. Next time be meaner with the rep on the phone - they can EASILY get you free shipping.
View Quote

I appreciate the advice.  However, there will not be a next time.  I didn't buy the 327 because I wanted a budget gun, I bought it because I wanted to try optics on a revolver.  Taurus has some interesting products, but my personal experience with their failure rate will keep me from falling for the "interesting" products again.  I'm sure Ruger will eventually come out with an optics ready LCR.  I'll try that when they do.  I have multiple LCRs and have had no problems with them.  Anyone can make a lemon, but Ruger has a much better track record in my experience.  YMMV.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top