User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raf:

Perhaps it's just the pic, but none of those guys' uniforms blend-in to the surrounding terrain.  OD field gear does a better job, IMHO.

Hell, I've dyed ACU and ABU uniforms that would do far better than what I see in the pic.

ETA: Pic 17 on this thread shows some decent dyeing of ACU nylon gear to decent green terrain.  Another pic above shows dyeing ACU to brown.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/On-Dyeing-with-Rit-Dye-Many-Pix-/10-429475/
View Quote
Just noting the '05 time stamp on the pic. At  that time the whole Army was mix and match. I was deployed wearing DCU uniform, woodland IBA, OD nomex gloves OD knee&elbow pads, black fleece, etc. The unit that relelieved us at the time was in UCP.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By raf:

Perhaps it's just the pic, but none of those guys' uniforms blend-in to the surrounding terrain.  OD field gear does a better job, IMHO.
View Quote
It's not you. DCU is too bright for just about anything short of sand dunes and M81 has far too much black for most forests barring deep jungle. It's a good thing we've moved on from them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Good video. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent as always Hawkeye!
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
@Hawkeye

Nice to see your alive man
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]
@Hawkeye

Hey saw your All-Terrain Tiger camo, how would you say it holds up to multicam?

Love the pattern but I'm worried about it blending in with my AO

anyway you could do an update video?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Hawkeye:

I think in many area's it's every bit as good as multicam, it just depends. I've been planning to do another video on it so I'll try to work it in as soon as I can.
View Quote
sweet thanks man
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Free bump. Why isn't this in the tacked post list of picture threads.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump

@Hawkeye

Any update on an updated vid on the AT tiger?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]

No sir, Work has had me tied up and I just haven't had time. It's still on my to-do list.
View Quote
Ok no prob, take your time
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Bump for more Hawkeye greatness.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Still trying to get caught up. Having been down recovering from surgery for a bit, it's got me behind on both work and videos...
View Quote
Sorry to hear you've been having difficulties.  Hope all went well, and you have a complete recovery.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye] [#20]
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Thank you sir. I am doing well. New titanium parts are working great and I'm back on my feet and running, just a lot to get caught up on.
View Quote
All that matters is that you are healthy, and well.  The rest will come.  Best wishes for your full recovery!
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump.....

And hoping for a new video on AT tiger..
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:07:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#23]
During some recent readings, Col Jeff Cooper made the comment that when in the field (Africa), the most easily seen/visible parts of the enemy were the backs of their hands.  This is not surprising, since one's hands are moving objects, and so most easily seen.

Facepaint did not seem, in his opinion, to be very useful, assuming one's face was shadowed by some sort of adequately brimmed headgear.  OTOH, and speaking for myself, a bald-headed Caucasian out in the field might be conspicuous.  YMMV.

In short, most of this is common sense, but I admit I did not think about the "moving hands" vulnerability.  The current practice of wearing protective, terrain-appropriate gloves might be more useful than first thought.

In the same vein, may I suggest a mosquito net/face veil to be worn in future videos?  I have found such to be VERY useful to me, as I am forced to wear eyeglasses.  Perhaps something to think about.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#24]
This is slightly off topic but, there are so many knowledgeable people on this thread,
Why do many law enforcement agencies like LAPD, Secret Service, that are two that come to mind, choose black? Sure it's great at night but daytime I would think would really stand out.
What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By OlKev:
This is slightly off topic but, there are so many knowledgeable people on this thread,
Why do many law enforcement agencies like LAPD, Secret Service, that are two that come to mind, choose black? Sure it's great at night but daytime I would think would really stand out.
What do you think?
View Quote

For appearances and/or public and community relations maybe.  Many people don't like the militarization of domestic police (ex. Multicam clad officers rolling around in retired military MRAPs)
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Bumping this thread
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 2:11:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By cone256:
Bumping this thread
View Quote

Again . . .
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Great stuff. Would be nice if he could do some updates on some of the camo.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Where did all of the old black/white/gray urban camo go? Was that just marketing or did it actually have a use?
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Supposedly made for Urban environments.  Showcased in The Rock.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven't had time to do much for a while now, but I did manage to get this done. I'll get part 2 as soon as I can. Current event's are keeping me......busy..... to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2NFVofONSk
View Quote
Hey there's the cool camo guy!!

Still waiting on that AT tiger video...
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#34]
OD green and local dirt will always be an effective camo. OD fatigues were the uniform of the day for me. Damn, I'm old.
This looks like a great pattern. I would wear this if I weren't a fat ass.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone tried dyeing the Air Force ABU uniforms? I would like to get as close to OD or ranger green as possible.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Has anyone tried dyeing the Air Force ABU uniforms? I would like to get as close to OD or ranger green as possible.
View Quote

I'm guessing that the dyes would be an issue for IR though right?

My understanding is that dyes or brighteners can make BDU's more visible in the IR spectrum.  

That's an issue for both defense and hunting alike.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone have the winter weight BDU's?

So, I'm a big fan of the summer light weight stuff. I have the Patagonia L9 pants and shirt and they are perfect for summer wear due to their light weight. The True-Spec Army Hot Weather Uniform (IHWCU) is awesome.  

However, as the Starks say "Winter is Coming" and I've been looking at the winter weight Proper Multicam set and wondering whether that's worth it or if it's not necessary if you already have all 7 layers of PCU Gen 3 and are going to be layering anyways.

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

My understanding is that dyes or brighteners can make BDU's more visible in the IR spectrum.  

View Quote

There are lots of dye threads here, but I cannot find any, and I hope that your questions can be addressed by those with actual experience
I just want to color them something that fits my area better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Woodland follow-up....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMm7DIPa2xo
View Quote
Holy Shit he is alive
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Has he done a vid on the OCP uniform yet? Unless I missed it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

As per testing done in NV forum here, Rit dyes do not have any effect on IR signature.  Detergent "Brighteners" are another thing, and ought to be avoided.

No idea if fabric that has been washed with detergents containing "Brighteners' can be remediated in any way.  Not saying impossible, just lack of knowledge.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Woodland follow-up....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMm7DIPa2xo
View Quote
Very glad to see you back again, my friend!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Bump

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:40:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boltcatch] [#49]

So, I'm a big fan of the summer light weight stuff. I have the Patagonia L9 pants and shirt and they are perfect for summer wear due to their light weight. The True-Spec Army Hot Weather Uniform (IHWCU) is awesome.  

However, as the Starks say "Winter is Coming" and I've been looking at the winter weight Proper Multicam set and wondering whether that's worth it or if it's not necessary if you already have all 7 layers of PCU Gen 3 and are going to be layering anyways.

View Quote

If it's dry, the summer stuff and layering works fine.  If it's not dry, the issue synthetic wind shirts/pants are probably the way to go for fast drying.  I get into weather conditions these days wearing the level 4/5 stuff and have an easy time of it, when wearing old school BDU's would range between "miserable" and "lethal"

I don't think I ever wore winter weight BDU's unless they were all that I had clean enough/on hand or I needed extra durabilty vs terrain, thorns, rubble, or the like.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

If it's dry, the summer stuff and layering works fine.  If it's not dry, the issue synthetic wind shirts/pants are probably the way to go for fast drying.  I get into weather conditions these days wearing the level 4/5 stuff and have an easy time of it, when wearing old school BDU's would range between "miserable" and "lethal"

I don't think I ever wore winter weight BDU's unless they were all that I had clean enough/on hand or I needed extra durabilty vs terrain, thorns, rubble, or the like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

Same. I don’t think I ever wore winter BDUs unless my summer BDUs were standing on their own.

Did the ACUs even have winter weight options? My multicam issue was all the same weight as the ACU stuff excepting the combat shirts obviously.
Page / 15
Top Top