BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
One of my neurons fired and this is what came to mind.

Primers and powders are being consumed by commercial ammo makers and by the US Government.

Those government contracts take first priority (contracts with high DX ratings), with delivery quantities and dates needing to be met no matter the financial consequences to the supplier.

Now, if the primer equipment is set up for small rifle primers to produce 5.56 ammo to be supplied to the US Gov't, there is no way they can reconfigure to produce large rifle primers.  Monday thru Friday make SR primers for contracts.  On nights & weekends, run the line as-is and make some for commercial sales to reloaders.  Ditto for the small pistol primer - make what you can to supply the reloading marketplace.  

In this scenario (right or wrong), the production lines are configured for SR and SP primers and they have to stay that way.  We, the reloaders, get only what is not needed for USG and commercial customer deliveries.

The use of overtime pay to run the production lines for our benefit explains some of the price hike.

It's just a thought.  I'm not in that business.
View Quote

0 Chance that's happening. Most primers are made by hand. Paying overtime to someone to make large primers would have to be a net loss to the company. If anything, the companies would have them come in and make more small primers that are already sold.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:31:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#2]
Originally Posted By Crash1433:
0 Chance that's happening. Most primers are made by hand. Paying overtime to someone to make large primers would have to be a net loss to the company. If anything, the companies would have them come in and make more small primers that are already sold.
View Quote

Of what happening?  

I think we both agree, once set up for SR and SP primers, that is all they will make until their contractual commitments are satisfied.  I added bold text to that post trying to highlight this point.

Regarding machine set ups for making primers, I was referring to fabricating the cups, running drying ovens or other mechanized operations.

Do they add the "seal" and anvil by hand, too?

The whole idea was just a hair brained idea.  I'm struggling to make sense of a seemingly out of control world.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Of what happening?  

I think we both agree, once set up for SR and SP primers, that is all they will make until their contractual commitments are satisfied.  I added bold text to that post trying to highlight this point.

Regarding machine set ups for making primers, I was referring to fabricating the cups, running drying ovens or other mechanized operations.

The whole idea was just a hair brained idea.  I'm struggling to make sense of a seemingly out of control world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Of what happening?  

I'm struggling to make sense of a seemingly out of control world.

You and me both, Amen!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Of what happening?  

View Quote

0 chance of them stopping the machines, resetting them to run a different size, and only doing it for 2 days especially when they would have to pay overtime to make it happen.

IF, and that's a big if, a company was going to change production it's going to be for a long time span.

I'll equate it to refineries. Everytime gas goes up everyone says why don't they build another refinery? Well it would take billions of dollars and years of building that's why. Then once gas goes back down what happens to the billion dollar investment? The return on the money isn't there.

No different here. If a company wanted to increase production 30-40 percent the outlie of money would be huge. And years to get permits, schedule and build the facility, and hire and train employees. And what happens in the interm if the ukraine calms down and gaza fizzles out? The company has a multi-billion dollar investment and no need for the expanded production.

Reality is that these companies aren't worried about reloaders. They are worried about huge .gov contracts and what they sell to us is not enough to concern them. They are going to do what they need to do to maintain the biggest revenue. Which unfortunately for us means what is happening currently.

Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top