Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2004 1:17:32 PM EDT
Will standard M16 mags work?  

Sorry, I haven't kept up but I saw Model 1 Sales has 6.8mm uppers for sale....
Is it going to replace the 5.56mm NATO?
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Woah, what's up with that pic?  I fail to grasp the significance.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Barret seems to be offering uppers and complete weapons in this number. I wouldn't mind having one. But for me, it ain't about to displace 5.56 anytime soon:

1) 5.56 is still the SHTF deal: bulk milspec ammo cheap!
2) The significant other is not likely to take to more recoil than 5.56.
3) 5.56 is likely to be the NRA Service Rifle round of choice in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#6]
OIC.  It's not panning out, huh?

Someone on FALFILES said there were pics of 6.8mm here not working in standard M16 mags.....oh well.

Yea, ammo seems to be the main problem.  $16.98 for a box of 20.....IF, you can find it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#8]
So, the military isn't about to replace 5.56?  Only in the testing phase?  Good, I say.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OIC.  It's not panning out, huh?

Someone on FALFILES said there were pics of 6.8mm here not working in standard M16 mags.....oh well.

Yea, ammo seems to be the main problem.  $16.98 for a box of 20.....IF, you can find it.

PRI makes mags for it and a redesigned follower for it.  The follower looks a lot like the Magpul self leveling follower.  I don't know if the PRI mags are on are available to citizens or not.  I think I would rather go with the 6.5 Grendel from Alexander Arms.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I am working on guns right now.
The M16 mags will work, but you have to find mags wheere the feedlips on the inside are at the widest tolerance. I forget what it is right now. You do need a new follower for M16 mags. They will hold 27 rds of 6.8

We are getting 5 and 10 rd mags in to go with the rifles. 28 rd mags will be available after 14 Sept.

The 6.8 isn't dead. We are just waiting on SAAMI specs for ammo. They usually meet after the SHOT Show each year to make their new standards.
We have ammo, we are using it for function fire right now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
There seems to be a considerable amount of interest in the 6.8. But can someone tell me why it would be better than 7.62. I know that the uppers made in in 6.8 will fit the AR lowers. But until the mags and ammo start showing up for civilian population they're just wall hangers. I would like to see this round be successful so we can have another option to choose from. BobK
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
6.8SPC FAQ

I don't know if the PRI mags are on are available to citizens or not.

They have 5 and 10 round mags currently available, and are listing "hi cap" mags for LE.  The mag conversion kits should be available soon.

The M16 mags will work, but you have to find mags wheere the feedlips on the inside are at the widest tolerance. I forget what it is right now. You do need a new follower for M16 mags. They will hold 27 rds of 6.8

I have tested a handful of USGI M16 mags, and none work.  After loading about 10 rounds of 6.8SPC, the sides bow out enough that the mag won't fit in the mag well.

-z
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]
No ammo.
No mags.
Expensive uppers (MSTN, SSK, Barrett)
Junk Uppers (Model-1)
No momentum...

It's looking like vaporware.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

As someone who has actually shot the 6.8SPC, I have to call BS on the above statement. 6.8SPC "works" in an M16 mag the same way 7.62x39mm "works" in an M16 mag...like crap! you get a few rounds in, anywhere from 7-15, then the mag bulges to the point it wont insert into the magwell.

PRI is not shipping 5 or 10 round mags yet. It's a topic of some debate if they are even shipping highcaps for LE & Military at this point.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry you don't agree AR15fan, but as someone who is building them, I can tell you they do work sometimes. I believe it's a case by case point with current M16 mags. I'm going to try a 6.8 follower in one of my steel Radway Green mags and see if it works any better.

It takes a bit to get from drawing table to out the door product. People think you can envision it and produce it in quantity in a flash. Doesn't happen. You have to rely on to many outside influences to get started. Raw materials, Ordnance grade barrel material being used for other more high priority projects, uh, 50 BMG rifles for the military for instance. Relying on the people who make your barrel blanks not running into problems. Them being behind on other projects that had Purchase Orders made before you.
Producing firearms isn't as easy as some think it is.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program already in progress.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#17]

PRI is not shipping 5 or 10 round mags yet.

I thought somebody just posted that they got a 10 round mag?

No ammo.
No mags.
Expensive uppers (MSTN, SSK, Barrett)
Junk Uppers (Model-1)
No momentum...

It's looking like vaporware.

I've been shooting my upper since March, and reloading ammo for it for almost as long.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top