Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2024 4:57:36 PM EDT
I debated if I should post this information as I don't want AR15 members to stop watching my videos. However, this was circulating around Facebook, so I decided to post it here as well.

I set a personal goal of removing 500 coyotes this season while hunting solo. Although I have shot over 300, 3 of the last 4 seasons, 500 was a stretch as I had never crossed the 400 mark before. I just wrapped up my coyote season. I sent a message to my landowners thanking them for access to their land. I pulled together the numbers and thought I would share them with all of you as well.

2023/2024 Korey Kirschenmann Coyote Season (All Solo #'s)

552 Coyotes
48 Days/Night
11.50 Coyote Average Per Day/Night

Miles Driven: 16,542

# of Coyotes Killed On A Stand:
Singles 170
Doubles 87
Triples 34
Quads 12
Quints 9
Sextet 1
Septet 1

Average Shot Distance:
September 141 Yards
October      151 Yards
November  168 Yards
December  173 Yards
January      175 Yards
February     181 Yards
March         236 Yards

I have always guessed my average shot distance gets farther the later in the season, but it really did work out that way this year.

Sound Types:
Distress  191
Vocals    345
No Sound  16

Those who know me, know I don't talk about the sounds I use or the sequences, etc. I always tell people I kill more coyotes with vocalizations than distress, but I actually tabulated the numbers this year. I track this type of information and more every year, but I hadn't ever put it together and shared it before.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the goal has to be 600 for next season.  Congratulations on a wonderful season, truly remarkable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow Korey, thats awesome. Well done.
Do you sell the skins?
An average of $30 per skin is $$$$
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DoubleUp2:Looks like the goal has to be 600 for next season.  Congratulations on a wonderful season, truly remarkable.
View Quote
Our day season doesn't end but our night season is now closed. I am sure I could keep hunting and get to 600. However, my February and March numbers continue to get lower. This is a combination of my losing my energy as well as I am truly depleting the local coyote population. I need some months for my body to recuperate and my drive to get after it again.

As for 600 for next year, I will never say never. However, we had the mildest winter on record with very little snow. All this was extremely helpful to get to the number for this year. Once I got to 500, I kept hunting as I wanted to hit a number that I will most likely never try for again. If I keep removing this many coyotes, if I don't keep adding a lot of land eventually the numbers are going to go the other direction. You can't kill coyotes that aren't there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
Wow Korey, thats awesome. Well done.
Do you sell the skins?
An average of $30 per skin is $$$$
View Quote
Historically yes. Nice quality Northern, pale heavy coyotes were bringing $60-100 in the carcass around 3 years ago. The coyote market absolutely crashed 2 years ago. A really good coyote is worth around $5-$10 now, and they are the exception, not the rule. It isn't even worth the gas to take them to a fur buyer.  I haven't kept a coyote in the last 2 years. I even know a fur buyer who hunts coyotes himself, and he won't even pick up his own coyotes as they aren't worth his time to pick them up and store them. Driving 16,000+ miles hunting coyotes, plus the high cost of ammunition, means I must love coyote hunting a lot to do this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazing

Hats off to you Sir for a truly amazing run.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, this is an absolutely incredible feat, the kind of thing hunting magazines will talk about 50 years from now (unfortunately they won’t exist anymore). This is simply unparalleled.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to ask… approximately how many were bagged in the Sandhills?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:04:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KoreyKirsch] [#8]
Originally Posted By SlimBlundt:I have to ask… approximately how many were bagged in the Sandhills?
View Quote
Historically, I don't hunt a lot in the Sandhills. This area is the closest decent coyote hunting to where I live but often sees so much hunting pressure. However, this year I did spend more time there. I shot around 10% of my total number in this area. It is very heavily hunted public ground, so I was very surprised. I will send you some numbers on this area via PM.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]
That's quite a feat and very impressive! I have said it before but you sir, are a "killer".  Good job and congrats on busting your target number. Keep the videos coming.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
All I can say is thanks for taking the time to put all the videos together. Putting yardage on most of them really adds to it for me as I never get to hunt the wide open spaces you do. I would struggle a lot to judge yardage where you hunt. You have had an awesome season and shared it here. THANKS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all. You are all very kind. I posted this in some other places and not everyone else was as supportive as this group. Lots of egos getting in the way. I appreciate you all.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had a few people ask on other places of what I call a day or night of hunting, as I indicated I averaged 11.50 coyotes per day/night. They were thinking that could mean that there are times I might hunt all day and all night and then call that 1 day/night. Actually in the way I do it, that would count as 2.

Everybody should use whatever metrics works for them. I use this statistic for two reasons. The reasons are landowner expectations as well as providing me a measurement if I am improving.

Landowner Expectations: When I am talking to existing or potentially new landowners, they want to know the type of impact I can have on their coyote population. By monitoring this number, I can provide an average or typical representative of how many coyotes I will remove each time I hunt their property. Since I drive so far, I am usually hunting for a full night.

Measurement For Improvement: Of course coyote population can play a big part in numbers, but assuming a fairly stable population, I want a metric that I can use to gauge if I am getting more coyotes vs just hunting more often, etc.

Per Day/Night Measurement: What is a full night?  Over the years of tracking this information, I can get about 10 stands in a typical night of hunting. I do some day hunting as well and even some day and night combination hunts. I have found that once I hit around 10 stands, my body starts telling me this is enough. When I leave my house, my expectation is that I will be making 10 stands. Weatherman are often wrong, so if I go out and let's say call 5 spots, and the wind picks up to 30+ or something makes me quit hunting, then I mark that hunt as .5 in my spreadsheet. If I do put in 10 stands, it gets a 1, etc.  

So, if you look at the numbers I posted, 48 days/nights means I hunted around 480 stands. Based on this, I am average 1.15 coyotes for every stand I make or 11.5, every 10 stands. Some people will say well why don't you just use that metric. To me this metric doesn't mean much becuase I could be simply sitting one stand for 4 hours or even an entire night which is very different than if I use 30-minute stand times. Again, this is my way of tracking my hunts. When I talk to a landowner, if I said I get a little over 1 coyote on every stand that really doesn't help them understand how many I most likely will get when I hunt.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top