BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 85
Posted: 9/7/2010 10:11:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: isullivan]
Well, since the old one is archived I don't see a problem with starting another. I guess I should start:

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hellion-Productions:

PSA is selling a bolt-less upper with mid-length gas.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-dissipator-upper-black-no-bcg-or-ch-5165449779.html

Best,
JBR
View Quote

thanks for the link.  I was really wanting to mate this up with an A2 upper, so, probably should have been a bit more clear about that.  Does anyone know if someone offers a barrel with a Non-F FSB or know where I can have a FSB added to a mid-length barrel?  (I have not asked JT if he does this type of work yet, as i was really hoping to find a complete barrel first)
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By longhunter09:

Came here to post this deal. Comes with the EPT trigger and free shipping too!

If they haven't shipped yet you can call them and cancel the order and then re-order the complete rifle.

@9mmstephen
View Quote

Thanks, after I posted this I did the math and I am a little better than even so I will keep it as is.  I already had the CH and premium BCG from previous sales.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]

That is seriously cool.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol thread started in 2010 and I got bit by it today. Can I use an A-1 carry handle upper with the PSA FSB or does it require an A-2?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By oldcatawba:
Lol thread started in 2010 and I got bit by it today. Can I use an A-1 carry handle upper with the PSA FSB or does it require an A-2?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252051/IMG_3615_jpeg-2812726.JPG
View Quote

Works fine with my C7
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been interested in building a modern version for awhile - it seems like both Del Ton and Criterion offer 16" dissi barrels without the front sight post, with I believe DelTon having larger gas ports? OR a 12.5" Kino Barrel ( from KAK I believe )

Why not just buy an already completed upper? Mostly because I have a 10" Geissele handguard or a 15" handguarded Aero builder kit that I'm interested in doing this with.

Would there be any advantage of doing a piston driven dissipator?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't seem to get my dissipator in a configuration that I remain happy with. I've gone fixed stock back to carbine then quad rail, to magpul hg's, back to a RAS.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:
I can't seem to get my dissipator in a configuration that I remain happy with. I've gone fixed stock back to carbine then quad rail, to magpul hg's, back to a RAS.
View Quote

I think I want to put an A5 on mine because I want a lower with an A5 assembly, but I'm not sure how it'll run with the 16" bbl and rifle length gas.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:34:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: longhunter09] [#9]
Added a Larue ACOG mount and a Magpul PRO LR BUIS.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

I think I want to put an A5 on mine because I want a lower with an A5 assembly, but I'm not sure how it'll run with the 16" bbl and rifle length gas.
View Quote

If it runs with a Carbine or Rifle extension on the lower, it’d probably run on an A5. Just start with A5HO with a regular BCM or Colt or whatever spring if in doubt. I didn’t catch what barrel you have?

Someone said Kino:
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#11]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

If it runs with a Carbine or Rifle extension on the lower, it’d probably run on an A5. Just start with A5HO with a regular BCM or Colt or whatever spring if in doubt. I didn’t catch what barrel you have?

Someone said Kino:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/563710/IMG_1476-2815699.jpg
View Quote

Its just a Del-ton 16"
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Dissipator "inspired".  PSA upper. Had fun with this one. Can't wait to shoot it.

Thanks for the inspiration fellas. Appreciate it.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By stoner01:

Works fine with my C7
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By oldcatawba:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252051/IMG_3615_jpeg-2812726.JPG
View Quote

This one works properly. I also used it previously in this config, and it was fine this way, too:
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Not to turn this into a complaint thread but for those that have recently purchased PSA dissipators, anyone else having issues with the fsb being badly canted?
Mine went back for repair three days after I received it, between shipping to/from and "repair" it was gone a bit over four weeks. Appears to be same now as when it left but they sent a target and a write up saying its all good not really pleased that its still canted. Should I just get a set screw style fsb and be done?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Badcompany079:
Not to turn this into a complaint thread but for those that have recently purchased PSA dissipators, anyone else having issues with the fsb being badly canted?
Mine went back for repair three days after I received it, between shipping to/from and "repair" it was gone a bit over four weeks. Appears to be same now as when it left but they sent a target and a write up saying its all good not really pleased that its still canted. Should I just get a set screw style fsb and be done?
View Quote

Mine was not canted too bad but I tried putting a Magpul rifle guard on it and it is a no go.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 9mmstephen:

Mine was not canted too bad but I tried putting a Magpul rifle guard on it and it is a no go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 9mmstephen:

Mine was also canted but for what it's worth it shoots straight. I put a Troy rail on mine but it wouldn't fit and I literally had to hammer it on there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I was originally concerned about it as well but mine arrived straight.  First thing I looked for when I opened the box because I've read so much about it. Have you tried shooting it yet?  I've seen others with the same issue but are able to make it work well.  Of course I completely understand not wanting that.  I wouldn't either after paying money for it.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NewCo32:
I was originally concerned about it as well but mine arrived straight.  First thing I looked for when I opened the box because I've read so much about it. Have you tried shooting it yet?  I've seen others with the same issue but are able to make it work well.  Of course I completely understand not wanting that.  I wouldn't either after paying money for it.  

View Quote

It has just been sitting on the bench, I have not shot it yet. As has been suggested I should get it out and sight it in and go from there. Function over form and whatnot, if it shoots well I probably wont worry about it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#20]

It has just been sitting on the bench, I have not shot it yet. As has been suggested I should get it out and sight it in and go from there. Function over form and whatnot, if it shoots well I probably wont worry about it anymore.
View Quote

That was going to be my approach if I had received one that was canted.  But I got lucky.  

Run that bitch and see what happens.  You might be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
I was in the back of the safe for something else, figured I’d pull this one out.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146/IMG_7767-2821468.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146/IMG_7768-2821469.jpg
View Quote

You could be one of the goons in a low budget sci-fi movie with that rig.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:25:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#24]

1 of 7 glow in the dark CAV-15 MK1s made, and the only one of those 7 that was shortened to A1 length by a factory authorized CAVsmith, it might end up being a mid-budget movie instead of a low-budget one. That's probably a $7k+ rifle to a collector, there aren't any others.
View Quote

That's super cool and my comment should be taken as a compliment

I love a low budget Sci fi flick.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#25]

1 of 7 glow in the dark CAV-15 MK1s made, and the only one of those 7 that was shortened to A1 length by a factory authorized CAVsmith, it might end up being a mid-budget movie instead of a low-budget one. That's probably a $7k+ rifle to a collector, there aren't any others.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcculver5:
I was in the back of the safe for something else, figured I’d pull this one out.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146/IMG_7767-2821468.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146/IMG_7768-2821469.jpg

You could be one of the goons in a low budget sci-fi movie with that rig.

Were the HG's special made for this lower or were they readily available?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#26]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Wondering if anyone can help me? I just got a PSA dissipator rifle. I was trying to install a Midwest Industries Gen 2 rifle length drop in rail but the rail won’t go in. Any ideas on how to make this work?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By headlifeguard:
Wondering if anyone can help me? I just got a PSA dissipator rifle. I was trying to install a Midwest Industries Gen 2 rifle length drop in rail but the rail won’t go in. Any ideas on how to make this work?
View Quote

Above someone said they used a hammer.  I had a magpul rifle handguard and it would not fit on mine.   We started cutting it to get it to fit and I said the hell with it and kept the PSA one.  Putting the PSA handguard back on was a pain in the ass.  

On a side note I got it to the range today using a PSA carry handle rear sight and after an elevation adjustment it was dinging steel at 250 yards.  Ran 70 rounds through it without any issue.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Wondering if anyone can help me? I just got a PSA dissipator rifle. I was trying to install a Midwest Industries Gen 2 rifle length drop in rail but the rail won't go in. Any ideas on how to make this work?
View Quote
Won't go into the cap, or onto the barrel nut?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:52:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Wondering if anyone can help me? I just got a PSA dissipator rifle. I was trying to install a Midwest Industries Gen 2 rifle length drop in rail but the rail won't go in. Any ideas on how to make this work?

I can get the front in the cap but then the rear of the rail won’t go in the delta ring

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Midwest has said their drop-in’s wouldn’t clear a low-pro gas block…
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RMN1162:

View All Quotes

Break out the Dremel!
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Break out the Dremel!
View All Quotes

Break out the Dremel!

What determines where the cap and front sight are positioned on the barrel?  Is it possible PSA is not putting these forward enough?  Magpul, Midwest Industries and others just don't fit on PSA Dissipators consistently.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#34]

I can get the front in the cap but then the rear of the rail won’t go in the delta ring
View Quote

Is the rail seating fully in the handguard retainer?  Can you post some pics?

I seem to recall that a couple of folks had similar trouble because the handguard retainer screw wouldn't allow the rail/handguard to seat in the retainer like it should.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:59:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ed_Victory] [#36]
Magpul’s handguard and a KAC RAS fit my PSA Dissipator.

The RAS required removal of the handguard cap retainer screw, the Magpul MOE did not.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:

The RAS required removal of the handguard cap retainer screw, the Magpul MOE did not.
View Quote

I replaced mine with a button head allen screw. It may still contact a bit but I could still get it on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:26:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#38]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I replaced mine with a button head allen screw. It may still contact a bit but I could still get it on.
View All Quotes

I've seen some Dissipators come with a cut piece of gas tube to hold the cap as well.

I've had no problems with fitting Magpul, USGI, KAC RAS, and DD Omega drop ins without modification other than removing the cut piece of tube..
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#39]

I've seen some Dissipators come with a cut piece of gas tube to hold the cap as well.

I've had no problems with fitting Magpul, USGI, KAC RAS, and DD Omega drop ins without modification other than removing the cut piece of tube..
View All Quotes

That's probably a better idea than a bolt.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I've always just tapped in a 3/16" roll pin to align the cap.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Thank you everyone for the help, I was finally able to get the rail in
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Just need to get another retro sling for this. Otherwise, it's done for now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I didn’t have any issues with my MI drop ins. I also have another PSA dissy with an MI drop in quad, not pictured.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By stoner01:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284414/20230530_114654-2834677.jpg
Just need to get another retro sling for this. Otherwise, it's done for now.
View Quote

Looks great, love the retro scope.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mrbieler:
https://i.imgur.com/S3v7IrLh.jpg
View Quote

Vltor ARM stock. Totally underrated. I love the A1 length version.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mrbieler:
https://i.imgur.com/S3v7IrLh.jpg
View Quote

You must not have any facial hair. Or you're a masochist.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

VLtor stocks are super underrated.

I'm not a barbarian though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I rocked one for a while in the Army. But as soon as civilian life started and the beard grew, they got swapped out PDQ.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:48:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 103] [#50]
My latest throw together. Saw the PSA upper for sale for $200, so I ordered one. They really put that barrel nut on there, lol.

Anyway, replaced the set screw in the FSB with a cut piece of gas tube. Swapped barrel to an early Colt M4 cut A2 upper. PSA M4A1 lower for the time being until I can find my old Bushmaster lower this was made for, haha. Otherwise mostly surplus parts I have had sitting around for years in boxes.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 85
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top