Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2004 9:37:57 AM EDT
I have a friend in the 101st and he was showing me a flip up sight that was issued to him.  I have never seen one like it and was wondering if anyone here knows who makes it and if it is available to the public.  
The only markings that I saw on it was MATECH on the bottom side.  It was adjustable for windage just like an A2 but it had a sliding bar for windage and was set all the way out to 600 meters.  He told me that you set it at 10 meters and that the bar took care of elavation.  Overall it seemed like a very nice sight and I wouldn't mind having one for my flattop.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2004 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2004 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC Picatinney Arsenal is producing them through Matech.  I have two of them and they work fine, 3rdtk doesn't like them for the obvious reason it is not ARMS, of course Dick Swan won't like it, he didn't invent it.  With that said I have found this to be a great sight.

The ONLY complaint I have had with this sight is the shine that comes off the sight when looking through it down range.  But a little dust will take care of that quite nicely.
Link Posted: 6/5/2004 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's some pictures of my Matech. It's an interesting setup, very robust and nicely made. Unfortunately, it's very heavy, when compared to the current competiton (which are mostly made of aluminum).  When I first stumbled across the sight, I thought it was an detachable for a SAW/M249, because it's so massive. I guess I was wrong. I guess Picatinney likes things big and massive.

Either way, it's a neat sight and I'm glad I added it to my collection.

Link Posted: 6/5/2004 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it's made by a company called Machining Technologies, inc (DBA MATECH) they are a government contrator in MD that heretofore has apparently made pintles for MGs and Mortar components, M203 leaf sight, as well as T&E type equipment. Here is the contract I found for these things, a gunsight would be right up their ally, it would seem: https://aais.ria.army.mil/aais/award_web_99/DAAE2099C0109/P00006.pdf I found their website but they had no such prodcuts listed and they do not appear to sell to the public.

Link Posted: 6/5/2004 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks like it's made by a company called Machining Technologies, inc (DBA MATECH) they are a government contrator in MD that heretofore has apparently made pintles for MGs and Mortar components, M203 leaf sight, as well as T&E type equipment. Here is the contract I found for these things, a gunsight would be right up their ally, it would seem: https://aais.ria.army.mil/aais/award_web_99/DAAE2099C0109/P00006.pdf I found their website but they had no such prodcuts listed and they do not appear to sell to the public.

Your right. I talked with the main Military contractor for Matech and they do not want anything to do with the civilian market. He also wondered how I even had a sight in my possession.

So, if you guys call them, expect less then friendly service from them.

ls
Link Posted: 6/5/2004 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I know that the USAF procured these sights for their Security personnel to use on their M4's, but my question is where can I get one, is there a wait, and how much $ would one cost?

I'm currently using a KAC 300M flip-up on my M4, but this sight looks interesting!

Note: I wrote this before seeing the above post!
Link Posted: 6/5/2004 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I only know of one place that sells this sight, but when I bought mine, they only had a few. The Company is J&T Distributing/Double Star. Give Jessie or Jack a call.
Link Posted: 6/5/2004 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
there is a guy on gun brrocker that sells them periodically i think they run about 100-115 from him
Link Posted: 6/5/2004 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#9]
So I see large aperture is not available using this BUIS?
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If anyone knows where I can find this sight....PLEASE tell me where.

looked up JT and nothing
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Call J&T they had one this weekend @$125.00
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
These flip sight let you adjust windage and elevation right? I havent seen many flip sights that had both, this is sweet. Do I need to sight in at 200 yards ( that the lowest setting on the sight)?
Wonder why no one else makes a flip peep with both windage and elevation.

In your opinion, would you guys go for these sights over those from Arms 40 or MAD ? reasons?
Link Posted: 6/9/2004 3:21:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Is this a bogus sight?

www.wilsoncombat.com/r_flipup_rear_sight.asp

Dave S
Link Posted: 6/9/2004 3:27:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Gargamel, I have what you're looking for, but I can't send you an IM or e-mail through the site.  IM or e-mail me if interested...
Link Posted: 6/9/2004 3:35:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is this a bogus sight?

www.wilsoncombat.com/r_flipup_rear_sight.asp

Dave S

dont think so but it sure breaks the bank
Link Posted: 6/10/2004 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
If anyone knows of a place where one of these can be found please drop me a line I would like to get my hands on one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2004 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Matech BUIS on my M4 and the only problem I ever had was taking it on /off. If you get one, remove the locktite on it. The screw is made of very soft metal and will break easily. With that in mind I am otherwise happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2004 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I only know of one place that sells this sight, but when I bought mine, they only had a few. The Company is J&T Distributing/Double Star. Give Jessie or Jack a call.

Ditto.  I wish I would have bought it when they showed it to me.  Call em at 859-745-1757
Link Posted: 6/14/2004 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Ordered mine today. Hopefully will be in by the time I pick up my new Bushy M16A4gery.
Link Posted: 6/15/2004 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]
A belated thanks for the heads-up, guys! I ordered my Matech from J&T today. As I posted earlier, I'm using a KAC 300M flipup as the BUIS on my modified MT6400C (M4 clone). The only photos that I've seen of the Matech sight in use was on USAF M4's.

Is our military using this sight on any other weapons, such as the M16A4? If so, which branches of the service have them?

I hope that this sight ships with zeroing instructions, but lacking that, is the reference line that appears between the 300 and 400 graduations used as a BSZ, or intended to be used to set a zero at a shorter range (say, 10M as mentioned early in this thread)? I'm sure that I could zero it at the 200M distance and then check it's elevation graduations at the actual distances at the range, and I'll do that anyway, but I'd like to try to set it up as its designers (and its military users) intended.
Link Posted: 6/15/2004 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#21]
It will ship with instructions.  I don't recall off the top of my head, but IIRC 300 setting is the zeroing line for the M4, and the white line is the 20" zero point.  HTH
Link Posted: 6/15/2004 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It will ship with instructions.  I don't recall off the top of my head, but IIRC 300 setting is the zeroing line for the M4, and the white line is the 20" zero point.  HTH

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/15/2004 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#23]
That Wilson sight looks nice. Looks like it uses an ARMS-style deployment spring. If it only had a dual apperture...
Link Posted: 6/15/2004 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The sight came in today but didn't come with any instructions. I know this sounds weird, but how do you pop up the aperture? I don't want to force it and possible break it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2004 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll trade my arms 40 for one

must be face to face though in teaks us
Link Posted: 6/15/2004 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The sight came in today but didn't come with any instructions. I know this sounds weird, but how do you pop up the aperture? I don't want to force it and possible break it.  Thanks!

This instruction sheet was posted by another member a while back:

Link Posted: 6/15/2004 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you for the pic of the instructions.
Link Posted: 6/16/2004 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#28]
More info from Rock Island Arsenal pertaining to this BUIS
More information

AND I finally got one of these little guys ordered!
Link Posted: 6/16/2004 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#29]
AFSOC - thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 6/16/2004 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#30]
There is a detent holding it down.  Just lift up on it and it will spring the rest of the way up.  I'm sure you've figured it out.  These are cast steel, while not as strong a milled or forged, it will out do aluminum IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#31]
TNRonin,

Your right, I did figure it out but still wasn't sure. Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Y'all remember not to over torque the mounting screw now, ya hear?  I got one last December, I was too used to KAC 300M's tough screw, I torqued the Army BUIS screw......until it snapped
Went to the hardware store and got some machine screws to replace it, then painted it black
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Duffy,

I remember you or someone posting that earlier in the topic. I've yet to mount the sight yet, I just picked up the rifle today. But I will remember to wipe off that locktite.
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Here are some of the pics I took last December, since imagestation doesn't allow posting pics elsewhere anymore

Remember, like the Troy Ind's BattleSight, the Army BUIS is pretty high.  If you use KAC 300M as I do, ACOGs mounted on ARMS 19S will have to sit one rail furthere forward.

This pic below illustrate the difference.  The rifle on the left uses a KAC 300M BUIS, the right one has the ARMY BUIS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#35]
AFSOC,
Where did you end up finding one?
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#36]
J&T Just give them a call and just refer to it as "Military Flip Up Sight" cost is around 120 or so, I don't recall.
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Just seen this on gunbroker...seems like they may have a few.
Anyone interested in contacting them to see if we can get a group buy on something like this.
If we could get them at 75.00 or less, it would be a deal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=19664623
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Got mine from J&T today after installing it and giving it the standard test drive I wish I had bought another one! Oh well I can always get another. I am glad I stumbled across this thread!
Emore did you end up buyin gthe auction sight?
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#39]
And I just recently bought a GG&G MAD sight.  Oh well, I guess I can buy both and see which one I like.  Just sell the other one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone know if there is an IBZ procedure for this sight? Do you set it at 200, zero at 50yds and are good to go or what?
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#41]
The IBZ is set to work at 50 yards.  IIRC, it does not matter what iron sight system you are using.  As long as your groups are on at 50 yards you will be using the IBZ.  

This is the case because the IBZ depends solely on the round's flight pattern.  It does not matter much how you get the round there, as long as it hits dead-on at 50 yards.

Getting it to be set-up in a way similar to using the IBZ on an A2 sight is beyond me....

But the only reason to do that would be to retain the ability to click up on the BUIS.  

Hopefully, someone will chime in on whether or not this is possible.
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#42]
CAR-AR-M16,

Since the IBZ method was designed using the A2 rear sight I don't think that it would apply to the Matech sight. Try using the method found in the instructions posted earlier by XM777.
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Not to sidetrack the topic, but Duffy... is that the same Trijicon TA11 that you would be willing to sell?

It looks good & I'm begining to have second thoughts. How much? Do you know when it was made?

Feel free to IM me.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Got my Matech Buis a couple of days ago, and zeroed it today, on my M4rgery.
It is really a nice unit.
I love the E-Z elevation adjuster, and the windage adjustment is super, too.
Great aperture, and ease of use.
Very heavy duty, and weighs a little more than others. but it is solid and gives confidence of good long-term durability.
Adjustment clicks are positive, and have good repeatability/return to zero.
It's steel, so you need to keep it oiled.

Very happy with it, and also like the fact that it is Mil Issue.
And it is a conversation starter, that most people don't have and have never even seen.

Real cool!
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Rats, I just tried to order another one of these from J&T and they are out of them.....
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#46]
AFSOC,
I did end up getting one for $95.00.  Couldn't help myself.  

I haven't put it on yet...can't seem to get my fingers to remove the ARMS 40 that's on there.

I was even contemplating getting a 2nd.

Can someone please help me...I need a cure.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Thought you might like to see one of these on a real M4...
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Got a buddy that came back from Iraqistan and his worked fine.  123whisper got a look at it also.  Other than my buddy loosing a couple parts he said it worked and held up fine.  It was sort of dusty though.  LOL
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top