Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2004 12:59:44 PM EDT
I am interested in oppinions on the best setup for 3 gun comps.  Carbine or full size?  Single stage match trigger or two stage?  Standard stock or collapse?  Weight in the rear?  Bull barrel?  Barrel legth?  Floating handguard?  Sights?  What would be the perfect unlimited and what would be the perfect tactical or limited setups?  Thanks for your feedback.

Mikehinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Way too many choices and to many variations at clubs....

If you want to begin, from scratch, an AR in A-1 or A-2 config., light profile barrel, will get you going on most any course of fire.  Stock, single stage trigger, Just a reliable rifle with crispy sights is a good tool. Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
See what the experts are using here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
That other thread is a good start.   The topic has been beat to death on Brian Enos' forums.  It's where most of the IPSC & 3Gun guys hang out.
brianenos.ibforums.com/index.php?act=idx

-z
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
20" barrel, Bennie Cooley comp, 1-5x variable scope for Tactical

20" barrel, JP tank brake, 1-5x variable scope, handguard mounted red dot for hosing for open
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all.  I ran a search and didn't pick up any threads.  Sorry for the rerun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I like to use stock guns without a lot of modification.
At most 3-gun matches (I go to) the free float forend is not needed.
(I like) single stage trigger for fast CQB.
16" barrel is perfect (for me).
Either an EOTech or Aimpoint works great (for me).  I've used both.
(I like my) sights to stay cowhitnessed in case something happends to the electronic sight.
(I) like the adjustable stock, (I now have a Magpul), because I shoot most of the year.  Summer  T-shirt, winter jacket.  Adjustable length of pull helps with clothing.

You have to find out what best works for YOU.  I see alot of different setups and it works for them.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It also depends on the matches you'll be shooting.  If everything it within 50 or 100 yards, that's one thing.  If you have some "real" rifle shooting, that's another.

-z
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I like to use stock guns without a lot of modification.
At most 3-gun matches (I go to) the free float forend is not needed.
(I like) single stage trigger for fast CQB.
16" barrel is perfect (for me).
Either an EOTech or Aimpoint works great (for me).  I've used both.
(I like my) sights to stay cowhitnessed in case something happends to the electronic sight.
(I) like the adjustable stock, (I now have a Magpul), because I shoot most of the year.  Summer  T-shirt, winter jacket.  Adjustable length of pull helps with clothing.

You have to find out what best works for YOU.  I see alot of different setups and it works for them.

home.carolina.rr.com/rambosky/colt%20magpul%20sized.jpg

home.carolina.rr.com/rambosky/3-gun%20equip.jpg

Any reason for the Aimpoint/EOThingy over the NSN with Doctor?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally posted by Corporal_Chaos  : "Any reason for the Aimpoint/EOThingy over the NSN with Doctor?
"

I use my other AR with the NSN/Docter thingy if the 3-gun match is going to have distance shots out to 150 yds.  There's one match I go to that has one stage dedicated for fifteen targets staggered from 50 yds out to 150 yds.   This is where the NSN shines.  Of course the Docter cures all the CQB shots.

See other AR below

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top