Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2005 7:13:02 PM EDT
I have shot 4 diff. brands of AR and 50% of them have this jaw rattle,  rock rattle, olympic just as bad, DPMS not a peep, and the good old m16A1 solid as a rock. Any comments
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The sproingggg sound is normal.  If it bothers you, coat the buffer spring with grease and it will quiet down.    
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Big springs go SPROING! Not worth greasing the spring IMO, it just gets dirty.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#3]
thanx Dilbert not my weapon but heavy high heat grease like wheel bearing. and what do you shoot, i have the panther lite 16 DPMS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have shot 4 diff. brands of AR and 50% of them have this jaw rattle,  rock rattle, olympic just as bad, DPMS not a peep, and the good old m16A1 solid as a rock. Any comments

So what are you bitching about?   The rattle, or the spring noise?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I GUESS THE SPRING NOISE, it is just annoying.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that's the spring in the buffer tube.

If it's that annoying remove teh sproing.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
normal
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I do know the parts of the buffer assembly. but is it common to any specific manufacturer or from weapon to weapon?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Comments? You asked for it
Keep the grease where it belongs, on the suspension parts on your car, not your AR
The noise your experiencing is normal and nothing to worry about... Get over it and go shoot the thing...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
thanx Dilbert not my weapon but heavy high heat grease like wheel bearing. and what do you shoot, i have the panther lite 16 DPMS.

I shoot Bushmasters, and I like the sproing sound so I don't use grease.  As a previous poster said, it attracts dirt.  Maybe someone else can recommend the best type of grease.  If you wear hard shell hearing protectors make sure they aren't touching the stock when you fire, they will transmit the sound to your ear.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
OK OK sore topic, just wondering why my cheap DPMS is quiet like a mouse and my friends RR at twice the price sounds like a pogo stick.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't notice it anymore
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]
its normal, if it's not there something is wrong
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't even notice the spring noise anymore, either I got used to it, or it smoothed out with use.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
If the SPRONGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!bothers you, take off your hearing protection.  For some reason, when I have my hearing protection off, the spring doesn't make any noise at all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]
If you don't like the noises the M16 makes, why not get a 10-22?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you don't like the noise the M16 makes, why not get a 10-22?

Airsoft would probably be better

ETA: Hey propaneguy, just bustin your balls is all
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]
mini 14, I am verry happy with my AR it does not make that spring noise but i have shot others that do. and just talking about it getting input.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#19]
LMFAO!  That is were we all started isnt it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
LMFAO!  That is were we all started isnt it.

I actually like the spring noise because it brings me back to my Army days, when I even notice it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
OK OK sore topic, just wondering why my cheap DPMS is quiet like a mouse and my friends RR at twice the price sounds like a pogo stick.

Does your DPMS happen to have a buttstock and your buddies RRA a telestock?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I never hear the sping noise anymore.  (I miss it )
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I never hear the sping noise anymore.  (I miss it )

+1
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If the SPRONGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!bothers you, take off your hearing protection.  For some reason, when I have my hearing protection off, the spring doesn't make any noise at all.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:31:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I love that noise.

I has a kind of mechanical  "Kah-ching" to it.

Rifle lengths more so than carbines, in my experience
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I don't even notice the spring noise anymore, either I got used to it, or it smoothed out with use.

I've noticed this on all 3 of mine.  Don't ever hear it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Oddly I have noticed by listening or feeling that noise I usually know when I am outa bangs.  I have all kinds of stocks,  the worse seems to be an A2 for some reason,  but I have a JP Lam stock that runs on the A2 buffer and its super quiet. The car stock isnt that bad,  and the ace ARFX-e  seems to be the best.  but all of them make a unique sound on the last round.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I raised the same question (and got little response).
Further research: it seems that the Wolfe heavier buffer spring and the Tubb buffer spring alleviate the "oingo boingo" which I hate.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Well I guess your cheaper in price DPMS is better then your friends twice the price RR..........

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#30]
The "Sprong" noise means that the gun is happy

All jokes aside, when I was in Marines Boot Camp, and we were at the range for the first time to BZO.  Got down in the prone at the 300 M line and after my first shot I thought the rifle had malfunctioned because of the wierd feeling through the buttstock
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#31]
As someone once said on here:

"THAT'S THE SOUND OF FREEDOM!"

salute  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I guess your cheaper in price DPMS is better then your friends twice the price RR..........

Guys, Gov't issue M16s make the spring noise too some make it and some don't. This has nothing to do with quality or function, it's just a consequence of the design.

You gonna call Colt and FN M16s pogo sticks. Your disagreement is ridiculous beyond belief. IT IS NORMAL. Argue about something significant.

ETA putting grease on your buffer spring to quiet it down is a BAD IDEA. It will do nothing more than attract dust, grime and powder residue which can cause more wear than running it dry. If anything a very light coat of CLP after cleaning. You DO clean your buffer spring, don't you?

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guys, Gov't issue M16s make the spring noise too some amke it and some don't. THis has nothing to do with quality or function.
You gonna call Colt and FN M16s pogo sticks. Your disagreement is ridiculous beyond belief. IT IS NORMAL. Argue about something significant.

Honestly.

I thought I was.............. Some folks seem to think the more you spend on something the better it is! 10 years ago maybe! Now........... Quality and pride in workmanship is all but forgoten about........ no matter if it cost you a $1 or a million! It's all the same...... But like you said, some make it and some don't!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guys, Gov't issue M16s make the spring noise too some amke it and some don't. THis has nothing to do with quality or function.

Honestly.

I thought I was.............. Some folks seem to think the more you spend on something the better it is! 10 years ago maybe! Now........... Quality and pride in workmanship is all but forgoten about........ no matter if it cost you a $1 or a million! It's all the same......

Not saying I agree with all ARs being the same quality regardless of price or maker, but where the buffer spring noise is concerned, no, whether there is spring noise or not this is not an indication of quality or lack of it. The only thing you can Blame the sproiiing on is Eugene Stoner's design.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#35]

ETA putting grease on your buffer spring to quiet it down is a BAD IDEA. It will do nothing more than attract dust, grime and powder residue which can cause more wear than running it dry. If anything a very light coat of CLP after cleaning. You DO clean your buffer spring, don't you?

OH Damn,   your supposed to clean that!!  

next thing you know you guys are going to say you need to clean the bolt and inside of the upper.  

P.S.  just being a smartass,  I make sure to lube mine with KY before every trip to the range.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

OH Damn,   your supposed to clean that!!  

next thing you know you guys are going to say you need to clean the bolt and inside of the upper.  

P.S.  just being a smartass,  I make sure to lube mine with KY before every trip to the range.  

You would be surprised how many don't clean or lube at all....

<Rifle Cleanliness Nazi:>

NO SOUP FOR YOU!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#37]
It nevers ceases to amaze me to read about the lengths people will go to to reduce to eliminate the noise a perfectly functioning rifle can make. Oh well, every Don Quixote needs their windmill I suppose.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#38]
No grease on the spring!  It is completely normal for the spring to make noise, and for you to hear it when your head is in a good position for a good cheekweld.  You'll also notice that the "sproing" is different when the rifle locks open on an empty magazine-that's kind of handy.

At worst, you could potentially have to put up with something that annoys you.  Does it annoy you worse than you can tolerate?  I'll bet not.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Whenever I shoot my Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54 Russian I hear this earth-shattering boom, there is a blinding flash at the muzzle and the metal but plate slams into my shoulder like a roundhouse punch.

Is there anything I can do to make it go away?  

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Just screwing around...

As everyone has said, it is a totally normal noise in the AR15 and you get used to it after a while.  The first time I fired an AR, I remember thinking it sounded and felt like no other rifle I had fired.

Now I don't even notice it.  I lube it with CLP only, as my manual instructs.

Good shooting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Its the greatest sound in the world. Right up there with the "ket-chunk" sound my AK makes when wearing ear plugs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Use a Wolffe x-tra strength recoil spring and you will have NO spring noise
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#43]
"Whenever I shoot my Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54 Russian I hear this earth-shattering boom, there is a blinding flash at the muzzle and the metal but plate slams into my shoulder like a roundhouse punch.

Is there anything I can do to make it go away?"

You only got one Mosin-Nagant?   That's down right un-American.   I consider them war booty for winning the Cold War.  Best deal in rifles out there.  I only got 10 of them.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Whenever I shoot my Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54 Russian I hear this earth-shattering boom, there is a blinding flash at the muzzle and the metal but plate slams into my shoulder like a roundhouse punch.

Is there anything I can do to make it go away?  

That's strange.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#45]
domn't like the sproing, trya pnumatic buffer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Its the greatest sound in the world. Right up there with the "ket-chunk" sound my AK makes when wearing ear plugs.

That and the CLANG!! of an En Bloc flying out of a Garand.  THATS   my favorite noise.

Back on topic:
After I put an M93 on my AR, I couldnt hear it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#47]
FWIW - In my experience, it's from machining marks in the buffer tube. Over time, the coating over the high spots wears down, and the spring quiets down a good bit. Grease is fine for a plinker, but don't put it on a weapon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Personally, I find the spring noise greatly reduced by pulling the trigger again quickly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#49]
If the spring noise really bothers you then remove the spring completely and replace it with a Pneumatic Buffer like the ones Olympic Arms sells.  The part replaces the spring and looks like a very small shock absorber.

MadDog
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Lack of spring noise is the built in empty mag indicator.

IF you MUST do away witht he sproing, David Tubb sells a buffer spring made from flat wire. It is infinitely quieter, if not silent. Rule 23a of AR15 accessories states 'There is always at least one more aftermarket part to try on an AR, of which the benefits of functional improvement are marginal to dubious.'

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top