Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/2/2004 9:01:08 PM EDT
This is a little off-topic since it's not "commercial" ammunition, but since there has been lots of interest in 6.8 in this forum, I'm going to post it here.    My custom 6.8SPC dies from Hornady arrived last week, and I was able to get some first test loads loaded up.   Bullet was the 110gr VMAX;  I used the preprimed cases from some "pulled" preprod ammo from Remington.   Thus, these did not get proper brass prep, and the case neck tension was probably variable.

As you can see, the accuracy is MUCH better than the preprod factory stuff (large center group):

Powder selection is a big deal because of the low case volume.   Please don't ask for specific loads.

-z
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Got any specific loads?

Doh!  

When you get around to using fully prepped brass, post some pictures of the groups.  Using a faster powder such as H335 or IMR3031 or even AA2230 might work pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If you look real close, you might be able to see the "2230" label on some of those groups.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
VERY COOL, THANKS FOR POSTING.  WHAT WAS YOUR FPS.  WHAT INCH BARREL ARE YOU USING?  ARE YOU THE GUY THAT HAS THAT SITE ON THE NET SHOWING YOU AND YOUR AR?  GOOD JOB.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#4]
18" barrel.  Velocities were less than the Remington preprod ammo, but pressure was also much less, judged by soot on the fired cases and primer condition.  Couldn't fit enough VVN135 into the case to break 2500fps, but it was accurate.  2230 has more room, and I didn't get to max.

ARE YOU THE GUY THAT HAS THAT SITE ON THE NET SHOWING YOU AND YOUR AR?

I'm maintaining a 6.8SPC FAQ if that's what you are referring to.

-z
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Zak,

Glad you got your dies, I'm still waiting for mine to ship. Just measured a 40S&W case (versus 6.8R SPC) and they are the same. I also tried it on my RL550. The Dillon 40S&W conversion kit should work fine for the 6.8R SPC less powder funnel. I have a 30Remington on order, but if I get my dies, ,I'll use the 40S&W conversion + 270Win powder funnel that I already have. I would think that a 40S&W shell plate & large primer plate would be a workable solution on a RL650 or RL1050 for the 6.8R SPC (don't have one so I can't test it). I'm alittle surprised that Dillon wouldn't be seriously considering providing 6.8R SPC conversion kits.

BTW: Some of those groups don't look half bad.
Good Shooting,
Pete
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you zak.  Have you seen ammo on the shelf yet anywhere?  Or able to order any with your gun suppliers?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
whos making the barrels and the bolts?

im getting more and more interested but i have alot of info to gather and digest first...

thanks

david
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
pcurtis,

I figured the .40SW shellplate would work fine - it's mentioned in the FAQ!    

I did try the .308 powder funnel and it was a no-go.  The problem is it's too short to give the powder measure full travel, without the bottom of the die hitting the shellplate.   We need one longer with approx the same diameter.

One note on the dies.  The custom set I got from hornady has some issues with the seating die (competition style).  It's almost TOO LONG to run in the XL650, and I imagine just about any other press.  I has to remove the lock bushing (rubber) and the lock-ring, and screw the seating screw in all the way, and then lock-tite it to prevent movement.   This was with the bottom of the die contacting the shellplate.  This gets the 110gr VMAX "JUST" to a short enough OAL.   I don't know how they intended that to work well.

JJREA,

I haven't seen new ammo available anywhere yet.  I expect someone here will have a line on it before you actually "see it on the shelves."

ltdave,

My barrel is stamped PRI, got it all from MSTN.

Everyone,

My next set of experiments will be using the 110gr VMAX and "more" 2230, and some N140.  I'll also try the 120gr Barnes X.   Until my resize bushings arrive from Midway (0.296"), I have to use the  brass from pulled preprod rounds, so experiments are limited by how many of those I have left, and how much time I have to pull the remaining case!

-z
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top