Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2024 10:35:09 PM EDT
Interesting look at the search for universal shooting standards.  The main purpose was to create a few standards to progress the groups that operate in a variety of lighting conditions and have different equipment to navigate:

GBRS Group - Developing Universal Shooting Standards

Day/Gas Mask/Passive NVG all under the same time/distance standards
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooting a rifle at 5 yards? How is that helpful? Admittedly I just watched the first few minutes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrizzlyAdams:
Shooting a rifle at 5 yards? How is that helpful? Admittedly I just watched the first few minutes.
View Quote
"Why are all my shots low at this range?"
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:03:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#3]
View Quote

Fighting inside rooms.  5 yards is about right for that.  If you haven't done those sort of drills before, the first time it will probably feel like rolling down the stairs in a wheelchair to attempt to meet the time standard.  CQB is all about getting hits inside relevant times.

Shooting a rifle at 5 yards is actually highly relevant to average gun owners as home defense is the most likely place you would use a long gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the Instructor Standards by Paul Howe CSAT.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
I like the Instructor Standards by Paul Howe CSAT.
View Quote

I do as well.  There is some crossover (low ready, transition to pistol).  Paul Howe's standards are I think overall better rounded, but they aren't the only specops standards out there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thinking about this more Paul Howe runs his standards with kit on, but running CSAT standards with variations such as slick, gasmask, and Passive NVG sound like a excellent training plan
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrizzlyAdams] [#7]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
View Quote

Was sight offset mentioned in the video?

From low ready to a hit under a second should be done at 25 yards. You can do it at 5 with your eyes closed.

I guess for a “standard” among a wide range of skillsets ya gotta start somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]

From low ready to a hit under a second should be done at 25 yards. You can do it at 5 with your eyes closed.

I guess for a “standard” among a wide range of skillsets ya gotta start somewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:

5 yards is pretty much a point shoot range.  Paul Howe uses 7 yards.  There is no doubt that instructors like Bill Rogers train to much higher standards.  I learned something training on paper targets, but shooting reactive steel targets got me a lot better.  But agreed, you gotta start somewhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top