Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2024 1:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Romano316]
Thanks for looking.

I am putting together a 10.5” suppressed SBR and would like some help selecting the barrel. My priorities are:

1. 1/2”-28 threads concentric to the bore.

2.Correctly sized gas fort for dedicated suppressed use (AAC SR5 suppressor with muzzle break QD attachment)

3.Would prefer the cost under $300, bonus if the package includes a low profile gas block.

4.Lower has A5 receiver extension, sprinco green spring, and A5-2 weight buffer.

5.I shoot this with a 2 MOA RDS, so I do not need a super accurate barrel. 1.5-2.0 MOA would be perfectly fine for me.

ETA: no pencil/ lightweight barrels please.

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
www.righttobear.com has a ton of their Aero Precision (Ballistic Advantage) barrels on sale right now.

https://www.righttobear.com/aero-precision-10-5-5-56-cmv-barrel-carbine-length/

As for ported for suppression, if you're that worried about it you'll need to put a low profile adjustable gas block on there. I've never done anything like that, I have 2 12.5 BA barrels both run suppressed with standard GB's and it works just fine *shrug*
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a knock on BA but in my experience, a lot of the lower and mid tier barrels suffer in regards to concentricity. If it’s for a dedicated suppressor build I buy quality 16” barrels and have my smith cut them down and thread them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
Not a knock on BA but in my experience, a lot of the lower and mid tier barrels suffer in regards to concentricity. If it’s for a dedicated suppressor build I buy quality 16” barrels and have my smith cut them down and thread them.
View Quote

ADCO cut my last barrel, zero problems.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Romano316:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Romano316:
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:

Yep he’s done a couple for me as well, when my smith was backed up. A couple P/W barrels also. Always great work and a quick turnaround
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#6]
Splurge a little more and get a CHF Centurion Arms barrel with their tabbed gas block.

https://centurionarms.com/barrels/midweight-hammer-forged-barrel-carbine/

If you really want to stay under $300, they have a non CHF barrel for about $100 less.

https://centurionarms.com/barrels/crmov-midweight-carbine/

Both have an appropriately sized gas port (one of only a few who actually advertise their gas port sizes) and the tabbed gas block feature should become the standard for how simple and ingenious it is.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#7]
IF it were me, I'd stretch the budget a bit and order THIS

Excellent barrel life, accurate, proven, and gassed correctly.

If more gas restriction is deemed necessary I'd throw a BRT EZ Tune in it or a reduced GP gas block.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The Colt barrel is gassed properly for suppressed and unsuppressed use and therefore you don’t need to use an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies so far.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Criterion hybrid 10.5
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
The Colt barrel is gassed properly for suppressed and unsuppressed use and therefore you don’t need to use an adjustable gas block.
View Quote

While accurate, further mitigation of gas while supressed is beneficial.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote

There are very few adjustable gas ports that you can switch to different gas settings on the fly, and even then I don’t trust them. If you want a suppressed 10.5, buy one with about a .050” gas port and rocksett the can. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#13]

There are very few adjustable gas ports that you can switch to different gas settings on the fly, and even then I don’t trust them. If you want a suppressed 10.5, buy one with about a .050” gas port and rocksett the can. Problem solved.
View All Quotes

I'm not talking about adjustable anything.

I'm saying that if a 0.070" gas port diameter is deemed to be excessive in a rig by the shooter that options are available to further reduce gas.

For example a reduced GP gas tube or gas block. A middle ground is achievable.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

It cannot be optimized for both.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

View Quote

Right, it’s gassed to be used unsuppressed but as small as they comfortably can so that it’s not as bad as it could be suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm saying that if a 0.070" gas port diameter is deemed to be excessive in a rig by the shooter that options are available to further reduce gas.

View Quote

Those gas ports erode rapidly. A middle ground isn’t possible, Colts are .070 and by .063 that gun won’t run outside in the summer. You either run it as is or you need a gas port for suppressed use only.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Does Sionics have a 10.5?  If so go with them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Those gas ports erode rapidly. A middle ground isn’t possible, Colts are .070 and by .063 that gun won’t run outside in the summer. You either run it as is or you need a gas port for suppressed use only.
View All Quotes

I know several that run Colt short barrels with 50/50 mixed supressed/unsupressed issue free using the BRT tubes in S/A use.

I've yet to see any issues personally.  

What gas port erosion are you referring to? The barrels themselves? If so, yeah erosion is accelerated in the short barrels.

What issues are you referring to regarding the guns not running outdoors in the summer?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
Does Sionics have a 10.5?  If so go with them.
View Quote

AFAIK, 11.5" is the shortest length. Nice barrels, good shooters.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]

AFAIK, 11.5" is the shortest length. Nice barrels, good shooters.
View Quote

Yeah just double checked. Their silencer dedicated and reduced gas port barrels are awesome!  Going to probably get a 14.8 silencer dedicated for my Saker 556 that stays on a 14.5” gun as it is now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I will tell you, I've had nothing but good luck with Aero/BA barrels. Not only with accuracy, but also suppressed. I've got a 10" 300blk and a 10.5" 5.56 and neither require an adjustable gas block. Both run great suppressed and not. Never a hiccup, and one has a bit of rounds through it.

It's funny, people suggest an adjustable gas block if running suppressed. It's been the only time I had issues, and turns out it was the gas block.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

View Quote

Maybe? My experience first hand experience has been that (apparently?) proper gas port size combined with a good buffer seems to yield the same results from a variety of barrels. To include:

Aero/BA
CMMG
Triarc
Rainier Arms

All of the above have worked suppressed or not, with no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#23]

I know several that run Colt short barrels with 50/50 mixed supressed/unsupressed issue free using the BRT tubes in S/A use.

I've yet to see any issues personally.  

What gas port erosion are you referring to? The barrels themselves? If so, yeah erosion is accelerated in the short barrels.

What issues are you referring to regarding the guns not running outdoors in the summer?
View Quote

The gas ports in the gas tube. In any case orifice/port length matters too—the shorter the produce the smaller its diameter for the same flow.

A 10.5” barrel with a .063” port will not run even in favorable atmospheric conditions, per my experience.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Colt 10.3 w/ Geissele gas block pinned that I’m ready to sell. Message if interested.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Those gas ports erode rapidly..
View Quote

Honest question, but how rapidly? Generally speaking?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Splurge a little more and get a CHF Centurion Arms barrel with their tabbed gas block.

https://centurionarms.com/barrels/midweight-hammer-forged-barrel-carbine/

If you really want to stay under $300, they have a non CHF barrel for about $100 less.

https://centurionarms.com/barrels/crmov-midweight-carbine/

Both have an appropriately sized gas port (one of only a few who actually advertise their gas port sizes) and the tabbed gas block feature should become the standard for how simple and ingenious it is.
View Quote

this is the answer
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GunsAndGoats:

View All Quotes

Haven’t used them myself but the threads in the suppressor for them have recommended buying spares because people have worn them out. About what you’d expect given the physics involved.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Almost slipped my mind!

Check out Rosco and their offerings!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Last that I saw Clint from BRT state, average testing in 100% supressed firing showed no change in spec after 5K rounds.

His webpage now states a lifespan of "~10K rounds". What that entails,  I couldn't say.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#30]

The gas ports in the gas tube. In any case orifice/port length matters too the shorter the produce the smaller its diameter for the same flow.

A 10.5" barrel with a .063" port will not run even in favorable atmospheric conditions, per my experience.
View Quote
The BRT gas tubes are capable of going 10k rounds without much erosion per their site.

I have a 10.3" Geissele barrel that has a factory gas port of .063". It runs and locks back unsuppressed with 5.56 ammo and a carbine buffer in summer and runs in winter but doesn't always lock back. However, it wears a suppressor at all times other than the times I've tested it for function. It normally has a Super 42/H3 combo in it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#31]

A 10.5” barrel with a .063” port will not run even in favorable atmospheric conditions, per my experience.
View Quote

0.068" with full power 5.56 is the smallest that I've tried w/o a supressor, which was fine.

For a dedicated supressor gun, you are saying that 0.063" will not cycle?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:05:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#32]
Recently pcked up a clearance Black Rain 10.5 SS barrel for similar purposes for $100, am happy with it so far.
Medium profile, good concentricity, good accuracy.
Not intended as a high volume mag dumping build...
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#33]

0.068" with full power 5.56 is the smallest that I've tried w/o a supressor, which was fine.

For a dedicated supressor gun, you are saying that 0.063" will not cycle?
View Quote

Wouldn’t cycle unsuppressed, overgassed badly suppressed. Albeit with about a 2010 AAC Ranger 2 backpressure generator.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll also add I have a Geissele 12.5" carbine barrel with .0615" gas port equivalent BRT tube. Runs even in winter without a suppressor with a Super 42/H2, however, it doesn't lock back unsuppressed when it's cold. It does during the summer. Again though, this one is always shot with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
The BRT gas tubes are capable of going 10k rounds without much erosion per their site.

I have a 10.3" Geissele barrel that has a factory gas port of .063". It runs and locks back unsuppressed with 5.56 ammo and a carbine buffer in summer and runs in winter but doesn't always lock back. However, it wears a suppressor at all times other than the times I've tested it for function. It normally has a Super 42/H3 combo in it.
View Quote

I’m sure with the right set up and a delicate firing schedule that’s true. Keep in mind though that a 10.5 USGI barrel has a life of about 5k rounds if you’re on top of replacements.

I had a 10.5” Colt with a .063” port cut down from a 16” and it wouldn’t cycle in tee shirt weather.

Geissele’s site claims .075” gas ports for their 10.5s btw.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll also add I have a Geissele 12.5" carbine barrel with .0615" gas port equivalent BRT tube. Runs even in winter without a suppressor with a Super 42/H2, however, it doesn't lock back unsuppressed when it's cold. It does during the summer. Again though, this one is always shot with a suppressor.
View Quote

.063 is in the zone for a 12.5 carbine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:11:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScaryGary] [#37]
Rainier or DD

I ended up with 11.5 though

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#38]

I’m sure with the right set up and a delicate firing schedule that’s true. Keep in mind though that a 10.5 USGI barrel has a life of about 5k rounds if you’re on top of replacements.

I had a 10.5” Colt with a .063” port cut down from a 16” and it wouldn’t cycle in tee shirt weather.

View All Quotes

I believe that is only for component barrels.

Complete 10.3” SD guns/uppers have the .063 port.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Website lists them at .070 which is what Crane picked.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#40]
So I guess this begs a question from me. Can you get 100% reliability in a barrel suppressed and unsupresed?  Or do you have to pick one?  I personally don’t mind gas to the face but I sometimes like the option of taking suppressor off. My 14.5” BCM P&W seems to run fine suppressed and unsunpressed with standard carbine buffer and spring and a standard mk12 spec gas block that was $10 at B Kings. Am I risking anything?  Should I try a different spring?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Reliability? Yes. Longevity? No.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#42]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
So I guess this begs a question from me. Can you get 100% reliability in a barrel suppressed and unsupresed?  Or do you have to pick one?  I personally don’t mind gas to the face but I sometimes like the option of taking suppressor off. My 14.5” BCM P&W seems to run fine suppressed and unsunpressed with standard carbine buffer and spring and a standard mk12 spec gas block that was $10 at B Kings. Am I risking anything?  Should I try a different spring?
View Quote

I’m not trying to be a dick, but you yourself are saying it runs fine both suppressed and unsuppressed, so why are you asking us?  If it runs fine, it runs fine.

And yes, you can get reliability with both.  Most suppressed AR pattern rifles in DoD hands do so without adjustable gas and function fine in both.

Don’t overthink yourself into changing stuff up on a functioning gun.  Use your own personal data and experiences you have using your gun and make any needed changes based off that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Reliability? Yes. Longevity? No.
View Quote

Saying no to “longevity” is a pointless claim without also citing what metrics you use to quantify longevity.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:33:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#44]

View All Quotes

Maybe I’m wildly misremembering something, or maybe they upped the port size.  I could have sworn they were .063 at one point.

ETA:  Looks like they upped the port size.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Am-I-reading-this-right-Geissele-10-3-barrel-has-a-063-gas-port-/5-2611231/?page=1
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#45]

If more gas restriction is deemed necessary I'd throw a BRT EZ Tune in it or a reduced GP gas block.
View Quote
Ay Carumba! Another Colt vendor to track.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:47:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#46]
My PSA basic malonoted one lasted over 11,000 rounds and ran everything.  Fast powder, light bullets,  heavy bullets suppressed, not supressed.   It just ran.  

Do that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

HERE'S ANOTHER and better pricing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Maybe I'm wildly misremembering something, or maybe they upped the port size.  I could have sworn they were .063 at one point.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Am-I-reading-this-right-Geissele-10-3-barrel-has-a-063-gas-port-/5-2611231/?page=1
View All Quotes

I'm sure with the right set up and a delicate firing schedule that's true. Keep in mind though that a 10.5 USGI barrel has a life of about 5k rounds if you're on top of replacements.

I had a 10.5" Colt with a .063" port cut down from a 16" and it wouldn't cycle in tee shirt weather.

Geissele's site claims .075" gas ports for their 10.5s btw.

Complete 10.3" SD guns/uppers have the .063 port.

Maybe I'm wildly misremembering something, or maybe they upped the port size.  I could have sworn they were .063 at one point.

Correct, they've changed both rifles/pistols and standalone barrels a few times now. They have advertised 10.3" barrels with .070, .063, and now .075 gas ports. I got mine in December of 2022. A 1/16" drill bit barely fit in the gas port and had to be convinced to go in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Psa/fn chf cl 10.5.  You could probably get an upper for your budget.

Mine is a blast suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:48:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#50]
Originally Posted By hodgescl:
Psa/fn chf cl 10.5.  You could probably get an upper for your budget.

Mine is a blast suppressed.
View Quote

I have a slightly older PSA Premium CHF 10.5” barrel and it sports a .075” gas port.  

I’d want something smaller for primarily suppressed use.  I use a BRT tube with mine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top