Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2024 8:46:19 PM EDT
I have a very nice colt M4 that has no trigger guard installed.

How do I mitigate the risk of breaking the ear off on the lower when installing the pin?  If there is a tool that can be recommended I will buy it, just looking for advice.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Wheeler Engineering Trigger Guard Install Tool for Installing and Changing Trigger Guards While Gunsmithing, on Amazon
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you used this?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I always used a small block of wood cut down to fit between the ears of the receiver.  I had drilled a hole in the wood so the pin would have unobstructed access to the other side of receiver ear.

Low tech, but I never broke an ear.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
That's good advice, thank you for that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Block of wood and roll pin punch.  Use a light brad hammer and go slow.  I have done many and never broke a ear.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By triode:
Block of wood and roll pin punch.  Use a light brad hammer and go slow.  I have done many and never broke a ear.
View Quote

My roll pin punch set it hex shaped and one was the perfect size to lay under the ear for support while l tap in the pin.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Grease the pin, this is key. Use a roll pin starter punch and put a toothpick in the opposite side to hold the guard in place until the pin is started. I use a mag well block and don’t support the legs. As long as you don’t miss the punch it’s easy peasy. I’ve only ever broke one and that was while using the wood block method. Again, a little lithium grease on the pin makes it a lot less difficult
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Support and a drop of oil are key.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I see grease and oil have been mentioned.  I always used plenty of oil.  

I also grabbed the appropriate size drill bit and chased the anodizing in the hole by hand.  Just to knock of lumps and high spots.  The first twist was catchy and jerky but a couple twists and the hole was smoothed out by not oversized.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Lately, I have been using a roll pin guide like everyone mentioned.  Once it is in place I use a taped up Channel lock (tape on the jaws) to squeeze it into place. Nice and smooth (lube as mentioned).  It might need a final tap to get in place. I have been scared to death of breaking the ears, but this methods is smooth and easy.  A wood block in between the ears also relieves the anxiety.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done a few using a C clamp to press in.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:23:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#12]
I took a piece of steel flat bar and drilled two holes in it down to the minimum size for the 1/8" roll/split pin. I drive the pin through them once or twice to close them up some before I install them with either support under the bottom lower ear or the wheeler tool for it I have.

The kind of not thought about thing in installing a pin is the hole in the trigger guard itself. I have seen the hole from minimum allowed for the pin to fit through by the pin specs to somewhere in the mil spec range of diameters and even up to bigger than the pin and mil-spec diameter. It makes a difference on how hard it is to install the pin. Did I mention I have seen roll/split pins that would not and could not collapse to the smallest diameter they were supposed to be able to by the pin specs?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I press them in with a set of these wrapped in tape to not mare the receiver.  Same with the bolt release pin just squeeze the grips with mild pressure and they just slip in no sweat.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-VISE-GRIP-8-in-Pliers/1003165096
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Knipex, smooth, parallel jaw.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I use this to install and remove
https://a.co/d/aoaKR8y
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:01:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgtlmj] [#16]
The Wheeler tool works well, but if you are just doing one pin it's not worth the money. Here's a couple tips that may help. I've done thousands of these without exaggeration.  

1. Remove the grip. This allows you to lay the lower relatively flat.
2. With the trigger guard in place, gently start the spring pin by giving it a couple taps. Never tap on the pin without the trigger guard providing support between the ears, and always support them from the back with a bench block.
3. Once it is started and straight, use a vise with soft jaws (I like the rubber faced jaws) and press the pin almost all the way in.
4. Finish up with a few taps from a roll pin punch. Make sure you have the lower flat and the ears supported on the back with a bench block.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I skip all that as its a poor design despite having been around for a long, long time.

Use screws which does not stress the ears and makes changing trigger guards in the future stress proof.

https://entirelycrimson.com/products/trigger-guard-upgrade-screw-kit?_pos=1&_sid=386c51137&_ss=r

cheap too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Britbike2001:
I skip all that as its a poor design despite having been around for a long, long time.

Use screws which does not stress the ears and makes changing trigger guards in the future stress proof.

https://entirelycrimson.com/products/trigger-guard-upgrade-screw-kit?_pos=1&_sid=386c51137&_ss=r

cheap too.
View Quote

I use a punch, the trigger guard, and a block of wood, but I like the looks of this Crimson screw kit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Britbike2001:

cheap too.
View Quote

Good thought. Magpul uses screws for their new MOE trigger guard:

https://magpul.com/moe-enhanced-trigger-guard-polymer-ar15-m4.html?mp_global_color=118
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top