Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2014 12:43:39 PM EDT
My son got a recurve bow last year with 6 fiberglass target point arrows.  Of course, with a small back yard at least 3 of them have sailed over the fence to the neighbor's yard.  So I'm looking for replacement arrows that I won't mind losing more of.  I'd like the following:

• Minimum 30" length - the current arrows are 26", he is already over-drawing by 2", and he's not done growing - he's 14 years old and 6'1"

• Spine for a 30# draw weight

• Inexpensive

Desirable features:

• Wooden construction, so when the neighbor runs over them with his mower it won't be life threatening

• Replaceable points, as I'd like to occasionally replace the points with field tips with grass-catchers

• Did I mention inexpensive?

I'm looking for brand and store recommendations.  I get C&R discounts at various places (Brownells's, etc) and am a Sportsman's Guide club member.

And if I sound like I don't know what I'm doing, I don't - rifle hunter here, only ever shot a bow in cub scouts.  So be gentle if I'm asking a stupid and or contradictory questions.

Thanks
R2.0
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
For a 30lb bow I would seriously look into making my own from dowels.

You can use pistol brass for blunt tips.

Better yet, teach HIM to make his own.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Consideration was given to such a plan.

But.....

His Mom wants to take him out for archery practice (don't ask me, I have no clue) and requested I procure arrows.  And like a doofus I said yes.  And piling them on top of his other projects would be counterproductive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you will find a wooden shaft with replaceable points cheap.

There are some fiberglass arrows on amazon for under $30 a dozen, that may be you cheapest option.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a Free shipping thing from Sportsman's guide today, so I ordered the following:

• Goat Tuff High Performance Glue, 7 grams

• 12 - Pk. PDP® Easy - pull Points, 75 - grain

• 12 - Pk. Saunders Archery® Field Points, 9/32, 65 - grain

• Morrell® NASP Youth Target Replacement Cover

• 12-Pk. of Allen® Eliminator Arrows

They are 32" long, so there should be plenty there.  Biggest issue is that they are graphite and fiberglass, but I can live with that.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to point out to the son that projectiles crossing property lines is a felony in some states.  That and he might damage a person that may seek to damage him back physically or financially.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rice:
You might want to point out to the son that projectiles crossing property lines is a felony in some states.  That and he might damage a person that may seek to damage him back physically or financially.
View Quote

Oh, we've had that chat already.  We're also going to rearrange the archery range a bit.
Top Top