Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2024 9:08:27 PM EDT
I received a Huxwrx Ventum 762. Very impressive. While initially the idea was to have a 762 that could float between my AR-10 (.308) and my AR-15 (5.56), I now want one specifically for my 5.56.

But what do I get?

Another Ventum?

762 or 556?

Would a can specific to the 5.56 caliber provide that much more improvement? Dead Air, for example, largely makes .30 cal cans. If I bought a Sandman, it would be .30; they don't offer 5.56 in that series.

Or do I get something else entirely? What drove me to the Ventum is that it's lightweight, no (or near zero) back pressure, further not requiring custom gas settings; it's serviceable, and HUB-compatible.

I won't buy many of these, and certainly won't be selling them.

Experiences? Suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You’re gonna get a lot of answers. The correct choice for you is going to come down to a number of different factors: cost, size, backpressure, mount preference, use case, barrel length, sound, etc. There are quite a few good 5.56 cans out right now. The two that I can recommend due to experience are the Griffin Recce 5K (lower backpressure, Plan A mount only):

The Goldilocks Suppressor? Griffin Recce 5K Review

And the OCL Polonium K (higher backpressure, but 6mm bore and HUB):

Budget Price, High End Performance: OCL Polonium K review
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SuperheroSmith:
I received a Huxwrx Ventum 762. Very impressive. While initially the idea was to have a 762 that could float between my AR-10 (.308) and my AR-15 (5.56), I now want one specifically for my 5.56.

But what do I get?

Another Ventum?

762 or 556?

Would a can specific to the 5.56 caliber provide that much more improvement? Dead Air, for example, largely makes .30 cal cans. If I bought a Sandman, it would be .30; they don't offer 5.56 in that series.

Or do I get something else entirely? What drove me to the Ventum is that it's lightweight, no (or near zero) back pressure, further not requiring custom gas settings; it's serviceable, and HUB-compatible.

I won't buy many of these, and certainly won't be selling them.

Experiences? Suggestions?
View Quote

If you’re going by the same priorities of low back pressure, HUB, and serviceable, then the Ventum 556 is likely what you want. Otherwise there’s a whole variety of options depending on priorities. bluedog mentioned the recce5k for reduced back pressure, polo k for higher back pressure, I have a full size polo that is pretty gassy and needs some tuning. Bottom line, there’s a lot on the market depending on what you want from a 5.56 can.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Didn't we just do this?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/5-56-vs-30cal-can/20-551515/
View Quote

We do this at least once a week it seems.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe if the search feature worked …..there would be less duplicates.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ll always vote 30 cal cause 556 works in it but not the other way around. I’ve owned cans longer than the hosts I originally got them for.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:05:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#7]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
View Quote
In this case the other thread was just a few posts down.

But yes, search sucks here. I use Google and add this to the end of the search:  site:ar15.com

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

This.

Idk what huxwerx mounts look like, but I just got a socom rc2 762 out of jail, and now I'm slowly buying mounts to stick it on everything I own. I'm kind of feeling like I should get a mini2 556 next so I can use the same mounts on all rifles and swap suppressors a little as needed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:37:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#10]
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:

I agree, but it would be reasonable to scan the first page’s topic headlines before starting a thread. You get poor answers when you start a new thread on a weekly topic because that action implies that you don’t read, so people are less likely to take their time to explain. For example, I have nothing to add for the OP’s question at this moment. Though, that’s in part because his goals aren’t clear. Perhaps the other threads will point him at the right details to clarify his question. It also contributes to burying threads with useful info, sometimes damaging the signal/noise ratio.

I don’t really mind either way. Questions are good. But people only have so much time and interest to answer repetitive ones. Imagine signing up for a class at your local college and the teacher has to answer the same question every 15 minutes from a different student. That can be a limiting factor, potentially.
Top Top