Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 2:05:58 PM EDT
So, my grandfather passed away a couple of months ago. Right before this happened, he was attempting to install a bayonet lug on his M1 Carbine. He got the front sight puller tool and got it off, and so when I got the rifle, I serviced it, and am attempting to get the front sight back on, and it will not budge. I have the action out, the stock has some cracks so i do not want to hammer on it using the stock as a brace. Using a piece of hard wood, several hammers, including a small sledge, and it just will not move more than a few millimeters onto the barrel. The area is clean, lubed with CLP. I'm out of ideas. Anyone else run into this? All the videos I've watched show the sight slipping on there like a hot dog through a hallway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the sight binding on the barrel, the front sight key or both?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say how your trying to put it back on could be the problem. I'm surprised your granddad didn't get the installation tool.

I would break down and buy or see if you can find a gunsmith who has 1. Carbine sights can be a pain in install.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/frontsightinstallationtool.aspx

I would replace the front sight key and pin while your at it, their cheap enough and you already have the sight off

https://www.fulton-armory.com/frontsightkey.aspx

https://www.fulton-armory.com/frontsightpin.aspx

You can always sell the removal tool and new front sight tool after your done, unless you feel you might need it down the road. I have a both myself but I currently own 12 of them and have used my set a couple times since I bought them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not reaching the key, it's binding up almost the instant it's seated firmly on the muzzle.  A few good whacks and it's like hitting a brick wall.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:02:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: justiceallthatsleft] [#4]
Thanks, got the removal tool already thankfully, an ordered the installation tool.  Getting it back off was easy. .  I will try the install tool.  

Any idea where I can get an M1 specific vise block?  I've searched online and can't seem to find something for it, except for a dubious looking product on etsy.  If I can't get a vise block, I'll try to find a gunsmith, but I would much rather complete it myself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By justiceallthatsleft:
Thanks, got the removal tool already thankfully, an ordered the installation tool.  Getting it back off was easy. .  I will try the install tool.  

Any idea where I can get an M1 specific vise block?  I've searched online and can't seem to find something for it, except for a dubious looking product on etsy.  If I can't get a vise block, I'll try to find a gunsmith, but I would much rather complete it myself.
View Quote

No, never used 1 when I change sights on mine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Heat the front sight up really warm, 400 to 500 degrees F.

It will expand enough to improve clearance over the dovetail.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:  Heat the front sight up really warm, 400 to 500 degrees F.

View Quote

Can you freeze the barrel & get it?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Can you freeze the barrel & get it?
View Quote

Unless you're getting steel down to -30 or less, don't bother with freezing; it won't make a dimensional difference.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:47:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Heat the front sight up really warm, 400 to 500 degrees F.

View Quote

Then install the sight VERY quickly, because it will shrink rapidly when it touches the barrel, and will be seized in place at that point.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Do NOT heat or cool anything. Use the front sight tool when you get it. Using a block of wood your not getting even pressure when you hit it. I'm guessing your placing the block against the top sight, that's causing it to bind as it goes on.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DonFlynn:  Do NOT heat or cool anything. Use the front sight tool when you get it. Using a block of wood your not getting even pressure when you hit it. I'm guessing your placing the block against the top sight, that's causing it to bind as it goes on.
View Quote

Are you saying we bought these chest freezers & propane torches for nuttin?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Update, the issue was there were burrs on the barrel and the sight ring.  One one the edge of the keyway slot, and one on the barrel itself.   Also one on the edge of the sight ring.  Very small.  
I was trying to take a more careful path in this problem, so I ran my fingers slowly around where the sight was binding up, and sure enough, I felt the burrs and had a light bulb moment lol.
Hit with a touch of the 90 degree grinder and it tapped right on with the tool.   Finally.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:18:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: justiceallthatsleft] [#13]
Oh, also something I found very useful was a set of rubberized vise jaws.  Got them for $14 on amazon and they worked great.  
Strong magnets and I was able to get the action secured  on both sides and just behind the op rod handle.  Very good for turning a wrench on the sight tool.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad you got it on, post pictures
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:06:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: justiceallthatsleft] [#15]
Some pictures of grandpa's Carbine, Caliber .30, M1.

https://imgur.com/a/5HzNtnD
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By justiceallthatsleft:
Some pictures of grandpa's Carbine, Caliber .30, M1.

https://imgur.com/a/5HzNtnD
View Quote

Looks like a postwar commercial Alpine made one.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_alpine.html
Top Top