Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/22/2024 3:37:06 PM EDT
@jeffb1911 - can you fix it?  

Why?  Texas got rid of most of our old knife laws a few years back - but kept em for bars, hospitals, and schools.  No longer than a 5.5" blade, and not a Bowie knife - hence the tanto point shape.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#3]
?

It's not done yet.  Will take it to jeffb1911 to sharpen the lower front edge and grind the top edge not sharp, but not a raw cut like now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
?

It's not done yet.  Will take it to jeffb1911 to sharpen the lower front edge and grind the top edge not sharp, but not a raw cut like now.
View Quote

Knifeworking is a skill that I do not possess. Not for lack of trying.

Dremel chopping a blade kinda makes my teeth ache.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  ?

I don't possess knifeworking skills either, obviously.  I had had a large Luzon ground down from 6" to 5.5" by a couple of different knife sharpeners, and due to the angled base of the hilt, wasn't satisfied w/ the measurement, and wanted a tanto point shape, all for legal reasons.  I'm only fond of the tanto point b/c of a quirk in Texas knife law.

I figured that roughing out what I wanted w/ a cutting wheel would put less heat in the blade than grinding what I don't want off.  The tip I chopped was pretty hot when I picked it up, though - as in I promptly dropped it.  I hoping the remaining mass absorbed the heat and didn't harm the temper of the blade.  I don't think it matters all that much, modern large defensive knives are a single use implement anyway.

If this works out, I'll probably eventually chop a M7 bayonet to a 5.5" Tanto as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
What a bizarre law. "Bowie" isn't even a blade shape typology.

Why in the world would Texas ban the blade that is so much a part of their history anyway?

Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wsix:  What a bizarre law. "Bowie" isn't even a blade shape typology.

Why in the world would Texas ban the blade that is so much a part of their history anyway?

Ridiculous.
View Quote

Leftists have been with us for a long time.  Now the only prohibition on Bowies applies to bars, schools, & hospitals - you can carry a sword down the street.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:31:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#9]
Having way too much fun freehanding a Dremel:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top