User Panel

New Holosun IRIS VCSEL (Page 6 of 6)
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

Run gear, for enough time and you're bound to start hitting shit.

That top slider may get bumped.  It's a non issue.  Period.
View Quote

Oh okay, not as operator as you bro I guess.  "It's a non issue. Period."  Great logic.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

Oh okay, not as operator as you bro I guess.  "It's a non issue. Period."  Great logic.
View Quote

Immature comments like that are a waste of the pixels they're printed in.

Let me ask you this.  If you're running a Holosun Iris and your gear moves the slider.  What is going to happen?

I run a MAWL.  When entering into rooms, I use my B button if I have to illuminate a wide space.  This requires a conscious movement of my finger to activate the B Button, ie manipulation of controls.

If you're running an IRIS and entering into a room and you're going to want to collect more data via a wide spill, you're going to run the slider into its "wide position" presumably to the back of the unit prior to entering into the room/area.

Knowing the condition/status of your gear prior to utilizing it is part of knowing how to use your gear.

Provided the slider is firm to where it WONT move via gravity, it's location being susceptible to being knocked around by gear is negated by proper training and utilization of the tool.  Like I said in my original post, run enough gear for long enough and shit gets bumped, jostled and disturbed.

White/IR light ND's are more of a concern than a spill adjustment lever being moved by gear.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#3]
These 2 units are on the opposite side of the LAM spectrum. The MAWL is no doubt better than anything Holosun will put out but you can buy 3-4 of the Holosun for 1 MAWL. With enough use the short comings that the IRIS might have can be over come.

These 2 products are made for different consumers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Immature comments like that are a waste of the pixels they're printed in.

Let me ask you this.  If you're running a Holosun Iris and your gear moves the slider.  What is going to happen?

I run a MAWL.  When entering into rooms, I use my B button if I have to illuminate a wide space.  This requires a conscious movement of my finger to activate the B Button, ie manipulation of controls.

If you're running an IRIS and entering into a room and you're going to want to collect more data via a wide spill, you're going to run the slider into its "wide position" presumably to the back of the unit prior to entering into the room/area.

Knowing the condition/status of your gear prior to utilizing it is part of knowing how to use your gear.

Provided the slider is firm to where it WONT move via gravity, it's location being susceptible to being knocked around by gear is negated by proper training and utilization of the tool.  Like I said in my original post, run enough gear for long enough and shit gets bumped, jostled and disturbed.

White/IR light ND's are more of a concern than a spill adjustment lever being moved by gear.
View Quote

Certainly it would be better if it locked in in some sort of way where you leave it. Idk how it would work. Depress the slider to unlock, adjust, and then when you release it the slider would lock in on some teeth hidden under the track? Would not be hard to do.

The idea that your gear doing anything unexpected is just fine is absurd and should ridiculed or shamed. That's like not caring about if the buttons on your red dot are getting hit- eventually you're gonna raise your rifle to your eye and go "wtf this is was too bright/way too dim" and you're not gonna be able to aim.

"bUt i d0nT tHiNk iTs aN iSsUe jUsT cHecK yOUr geAr beFOrE yOu usE iT" ok sure, obviously you should be doing pre mission checks, but gear can get bumped, adjusted, etc... during an action, not just before or after the action. Making sure it won't happen, as much as possible, is reasonable and worthwhile. I can't believe that people really want to argue about that.

"Bro it's ok that your optic loses zero when it takes a hit just zero before your mission, non-issue"

Imagine if you had a white light that had unknown amounts of throw or spill at any given time, "oh non issue bro just adjust it" lmao

Seriously, if it were a white light we'd be demanding that there be some way to ensure the light was actually on the setting we left it on, but suddenly on a LAM it's "just don't worry about it bro"?
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#5]
Originally Posted By NewWind:

Certainly it would be better if it locked in in some sort of way where you leave it. Idk how it would work. Depress the slider to unlock, adjust, and then when you release it the slider would lock in on some teeth hidden under the track? Would not be hard to do.

The idea that your gear doing anything unexpected is just fine is absurd and should ridiculed or shamed. That's like not caring about if the buttons on your red dot are getting hit- eventually you're gonna raise your rifle to your eye and go "wtf this is was too bright/way too dim" and you're not gonna be able to aim.

"bUt i d0nT tHiNk iTs aN iSsUe jUsT cHecK yOUr geAr beFOrE yOu usE iT" ok sure, obviously you should be doing pre mission checks, but gear can get bumped, adjusted, etc... during an action, not just before or after the action. Making sure it won't happen, as much as possible, is reasonable and worthwhile. I can't believe that people really want to argue about that.

"Bro it's ok that your optic loses zero when it takes a hit just zero before your mission, non-issue"

Imagine if you had a white light that had unknown amounts of throw or spill at any given time, "oh non issue bro just adjust it" lmao

Seriously, if it were a white light we'd be demanding that there be some way to ensure the light was actually on the setting we left it on, but suddenly on a LAM it's "just don't worry about it bro"?
View Quote

I never said any of what you're talking about.

I'm not saying that it's ok to walk around like a slob with gear that doesn't work cohesively and creates issues.

I'm saying that no matter how well you set up your gear, murphy can and will get in your way.  Creating standard operating procedures to to get around murphy is how you win with your equipment.

"Ok, murphy fucked me, how do I get around that"?

Refer to my above post regarding verifying the status of your equipment prior to its use.

Weapon lights don't have spill adjustment.  That analogy doesn't hold water.

IF, the IRIS has say, a button on the slider track that you have to depress in order to move it, that would be a win.  Holosun, are you listening?

It is IMPOSSIBLE for kit to NOT interact with itself in undesirable ways.

Example:

You sling your rifle to use your hands.  Upon returning the rifle to whatever ready position you desire you realize your MAWL power adjustment switch was knocked from low, to medium.  Prior to entering into the structure you verify you're on the low power setting as you know you're going to want a wide spill for this particular entry and you don't need the power output of medium.  Prior to entering, you verify the condition of your tool you are about to use.  That seems like common sense, no?  It's what I do.  I'm also not kicking in doors in Afghanistan.  Perhaps a more simple interface with a PEQ15 is more desirable in that instance?

Do you really believe that its impossible for gear to interact with other equipment if its "set up properly"?  Serious question my good man.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the Monopod of a 90mm Recoiless, react negatively with an MH-6 Pilot's bungee net behind the seats (were my 90 went while on the benches) at Zero Dark Thirty with no NODs - sh*t happens
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NewWind:

View Quote

If your planning on putting this on an AR, before you even get to the accessories you should be aware of the fact the safety is pretty susceptible to being knocked off safe. Routinely checking the status of your critical equipment should be absolutely be a system 1 process.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I honestly love this part.  The one where we devolve into discussions about who runs their gear harder while operating operationally with a budget chinese product that hasn't even come to market yet.  If you're tier 1, this product isn't for you.  Ping ping didn't even consider you while designing this or during R&D.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I love to read comments from the Gatekeepers of NV/Thermal Gear.

Goodness knows that if something comes out that works almost or even half as well for a quarter of the price, OPERATORS will be upset.

I want to know what changes Holosun is making to the IRIS before it's released.  But they are obviously watching and reading various posts with keen interest.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know why there is such a strong movement to shame people that want to use gear however they see fit?  Gatekeeping manifests itself in many forms fellas.

It's textbook hypocrisy.

Talking about how an MFAL is potentially going to work on a discussion forum about NV gear and equipment is hardly counter to the intent of this forum.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know why there is such a strong movement to shame people that want to use gear however they see fit?  Gatekeeping manifests itself in many forms fellas.

It's textbook hypocrisy.

Talking about how an MFAL is potentially going to work on a discussion forum about NV gear and equipment is hardly counter to the intent of this forum.
View Quote

To your original point, the slider really is a non issue. Idk how that triggered the guy responding to your posts afterwards.

You can plainly see in this video how stiff it is:
Holosun IRIS vs LS-321 First looks

And it would take all of half a second or less to verify it’s position and make adjustments as needed.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Honestly the IRIS switchology makes more sense to me than that of the MAWL. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
Honestly the IRIS switchology makes more sense to me than that of the MAWL. YMMV.
View Quote

While I haven't had hands on any Holosun units, I don't like the idea of a button to select the different modes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

While I haven't had hands on any Holosun units, I don't like the idea of a button to select the different modes.
View Quote

The Holosun rep Josh responded to comments about this and that they are still making changes/refinements. What we have seen in public so far are functioning prototypes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

OGL civ will be availabe for around $2999, Mid to late 2024, per Eotech at SHOT. Whether this happens, is anyone's guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnDough:
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

OGL no-show is a letdown. Was hoping to hear something.

OGL civ will be availabe for around $2999, Mid to late 2024, per Eotech at SHOT. Whether this happens, is anyone's guess.

That bounces the "competitive price point" they were talking up last year. Moving along...
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#17]

That bounces the "competitive price point" they were talking up last year. Moving along...
View Quote

They meant competitive for government agencies that buy them using your money.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:45:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#18]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

View All Quotes

I recall $1299 being thrown out a year or so ago, but I guess "inflation" be like it is.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Anybody got any updates on this?

If this gets priced at or around Dbal A3 pricing I'll wait for this...otherwise the A3 will be bought.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

The Holosun IRIS has already been confirmed at $899. MSRP and $849. MAP. I posted a pic earlier in the thread from the discussion with them at Shot.

As far as when, they are still talking "2nd quarter"- essentially summer.

Once we have a confirmation of units shipping, we will take pre-orders.
View Quote

Gotcha. I must've missed your post earlier - I skimmed a few pages. I'll have to sign up for your newsletter to know when the preorders drop.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#22]

The Holosun IRIS has already been confirmed at $899. MSRP and $849. MAP. I posted a pic earlier in the thread from the discussion with them at Shot.

As far as when, they are still talking "2nd quarter"- essentially summer.

Once we have a confirmation of units shipping, we will take pre-orders.
View Quote

Tagging so i can get my order into Robert as soon as he says go.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#24]
As of just today we were told "estimated 90 days", but being on the cautious side I would add a month to that. If sooner great, but maybe not.

View Quote

The poors start scrambling to get $900 together in the next 90 days

It's me, I'm the poors
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#25]
As of just today we were told "estimated 90 days", but being on the cautious side I would add a month to that. If sooner great, but maybe not.

View Quote

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#27]

'Expected'
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Dealer price on this should be sweet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#30]

"MAP" is $849.99 and I can tell there isn't a helluva lot of meat on the bone...
View Quote

That's different than the LS321G then - this is MSRP'ing at the same. But I guess 2018's $899 is different from 2024s $899 thanks to Buck Fiden
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Holosun Josh had this to say about the IRIS in a thread about the new Holosun RAID-IR head being developed:

The timeline is looking around the end of Q2 for production at the current plan.

Testing the new samples this week and everything is looking incredibly promising.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Run gear, for enough time and you're bound to start hitting shit.

That top slider may get bumped.  It's a non issue.  Period.
View Quote

Then I guess you should contact B.E. Meyers and let them know the new combat laser they are making to replace the MAWL needs a redesign. I see the went the route of using a slider as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

Then I guess you should contact B.E. Meyers and let them know the new combat laser they are making to replace the MAWL needs a redesign. I see the went the route of using a slider as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285899/1000009006_png-3208576.JPG
View Quote

I think his point is that the slider is not an issue, so why would this design trouble him, either?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#34]
All depends on how much force it takes to move the slider and whether it will get more loose over time.  

Nobody will know that until they get their own hands on one and enough of them have been out long enough for all the Beta Testers to communicate their long term use opinions on them.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

That's the power selector switch. The illuminator focus (not sure the proper name) is the big dial on the left side.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#36]
RSR has the Iris up now

Dealer is $650
MAP $899
MSRP $1050

I expect to see "deals" portrayed around $800 via email now things and occasional "best price ever!11!!" around 725.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By hydrostatic_cling:
RSR has the Iris up now

Dealer is $650
MAP $899
MSRP $1050

I expect to see "deals" portrayed around $800 via email now things and occasional "best price ever!11!!" around 725.
View Quote

Who or what is RSR?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#38]
RSR has the Iris up now

Dealer is $650
MAP $899
MSRP $1050

View Quote

Oh wow, after the intiial hype goes down those should be available for very nice price points that are even competitive price wise with the Chinese clone stuff.  I'm pretty happy about that.  Let's just hope that it's performance is what we want, if it can perform in terms of the IR illuminator it's going to be like "standard issue" for every civilian out there.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

Who or what is RSR?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chaas67:
RSR has the Iris up now

Dealer is $650
MAP $899
MSRP $1050

Who or what is RSR?

Large dealer distributor.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:06:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#40]

I think his point is that the slider is not an issue, so why would this design trouble him, either?
View Quote

This...

Not sure why you directed your post at me...

I don't have an issue with a slider toggle for beam divergence.

As other's have said, at that price point, if the illuminator does that illuminators should do, this thing is going to be on everyone's carbine.

Here's to hoping they beefed up the performance of the illuminator post shot show.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:54:11 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Is this a MAWL "lite" or something?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Is this a MAWL "lite" or something?
View Quote

DAGIR

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/B-E-Meyers-DAGIR/18-551716/
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Nice, too bad it will likely cost over the $4K mark.

Government Contract Officers might tolerate that kind of cost, but I will never pay more for a MFAL than the cost of a PVS14 or a high end desktop computer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Government Contract Officers might tolerate that kind of cost, but I will never pay more for a MFAL than the cost of a PVS14 or a high end desktop computer.
View Quote

You've mentioned that many times before. We already know.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#45]

View Quote

4k is too low. Some guys were speculating an msrp cost of 5 -6k

Which I'm not even mad about. If people are willing to buy them then it's just good ole fashion capitalism.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:42:16 AM EDT
[#46]

4k is too low. Some guys were speculating an msrp cost of 5 -6k

Which I'm not even mad about. If people are willing to buy them then it's just good ole fashion capitalism.
View Quote

Yeah that is good ol' fashion capitalism, though I will say "people" is a strange way of saying "the government".
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

A very, very different type of slider, one that has three very clear points of engagement.  In other words three positions.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#48]
RSR has the Iris up now

Dealer is $650
MAP $899
MSRP $1050

View Quote

Yup, close to the 2018 LS321G price of $560. I had a feeling it'd be close.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#49]
IRIS IR illuminator - 0.7mW (according to their own spec sheet 2024 catalogue)  

MAWL C1+ IR illuminator - 67mW.  

DAGIR IR illuminator - 350mW
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
IRIS IR illuminator - 0.7mW (according to their own spec sheet 2024 catalogue)  

MAWL C1+ IR illuminator - 67mW.  

DAGIR IR illuminator - 350mW
View Quote

Hoping for more solid information at SHOT Show 2025.  Doubt we'll see this thing released this year.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
New Holosun IRIS VCSEL (Page 6 of 6)
Top Top