Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2022 1:03:32 PM EDT
What am I in for? It's tomorrow (Nov 5th). Never entered a shooting competition before so I'm planning on learning as much as I can and hopefully making as few mistakes as possible.
I'm entering rimfire rifle irons with an AR upper I built. 16" CMMG barrel/bolt, Magpul BUIS, some Borebuddy goodies, RTB upper and handguard. Had no issues on function testing and sighting in when I took it out Monday afternoon. It's a lot of fun to plink with. Looking forward to seeing how I do with it on the clock.
Will try to do an AAR after the dust and adrenaline settles.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If the first rounds were just down the tube this week, don't be surprised if something fails during competition or discover that the system needs to be tweaked.

It's addicting.  Have fun.  Be safe .
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you have fun? What did you learn?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Late getting around to this but the march was a ton of fun. I lucked out and shot with a friendly group of guys. A couple were very helpful and talked me through the basics nad even coached me towards making me shoot faster.
We shot four stages: Smoke and Hope, 5 to Go, Showdown and Outer Limits. SaH was definitely the easiest with the large, close plates. It laso was a great intro to the sport since it was the first stage. 5tG was a fun and quick one but taught me I need to keep an eye on ammo count. Showdown seemed pretty standard other than shooting 2 strings from one box and then 3 from the other. Outer Limits introduced movement during the strings. I think I liked this one the most.

A few observations:
1. "Nice reload" isn't something you want to hear after a string. I wasn't counting rounds and had to reload on my 4th string of the second stage. It basically doubled my time for that string.
2. Accuracy isn't nearly as important as other shooting disciplines. A hit is a hit wether it's dead center or a graze.
3. For stages that involve movement between boxes I need to keep the gun up and pointed at the targets. I can cut down on my times a lot of I don't have to lower and then raise the rifle between boxes.

I definitely want to do it again. The whole time I was there I was thinking about what kind of inappropriate guns would be fun to shoot the stages like a Sten for PCC or a VMAC45 for pistol irons. Maybe in the future.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to hear you had a good first SC match.  Generally you will find squads very inviting and helpful for new shooters (and in my experience that goes for most all competitive shooting types).  I pretty much only shoot Steel Challenge these days (but have been getting the itch to shoot USPSA again lately), and I know myself and the guys/gals I normally shoot with always try to help new people out.  In the end you are competing against yourself to see if you are improving.  Level 1 matches (at least around here) are only for bragging rights at best, no prizes are being given out to win.  I have even been at a Level 2 match where I had gun malfunctions to the point where another shooter loaned me their back up RFRO so I could finish the day.  I will just say this.. as you grow in the sport, always remember your first match and the folks that helped you.  One day, you will be the "old pro" and you can pass that help on to someone else.
Top Top