BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pants223:
Yes. Excellent narrator. Listening to this book is better then reading it.

Exceptional narrorators:

R.C. Bray
Richard Porter
George Guidall
Frank Mueller
Will Patton
View Quote

I'll look for the names above I'm not familiar with, thanks!

I'll add: Will Wheaton (His voice and Scalzi's works are a great pairing (The Android's Dream is bloody fantastic)), William Dufris (Old Man's War series), Mikael Naramore (Galaxy Outlaws), Kevin R Free (Murderbot Diaries), Grover Gardner (The Stand), and Fred Berman (Star Kingdom).
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GordonFreeman1:

So true.

Ray Porter narrating the Tier One series was legendary. I have listened to the entire collection twice over the years.
View Quote

Then you'll like R. C. Bray, I've listened to Infinite four times in two years
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
YouTube has quite a selection of audio books available and if you use a YouTube download helper you can download the audio books as a much smaller mp3 file instead of a larger mp4 file.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost everything by John Ringo, Larry Correia, A. American, Thomas A Watson, Mark Greeny, Tom Clancy.

Few books are under 10 hours.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The Boys in the Boat is narrated by Edward Hermann was really good.

He also did Atlas Shrugged and Unbroken.

Great narrator.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
All four of the 2001 audiobooks are awesome, I’ve also gotten hooked on the Expanse series, I’ve enjoyed all of those books (10, I think). And, of course, anything by Heinlein.

In addition to what others said, Bronson Pinchot is also a fantastic narrator, some books I’m on the fence about he can make you interested
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Fiction

Monster Hunter International series and the memoirs in that universe.  Read the 4th memoir the narrator sucks.

Dead six series
LOTRs
Grey Man
Some stephen king stuff

Nonfiction

About face
Defenders of the west

I use audible and libby.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DerDritte:
All four of the 2001 audiobooks are awesome, I’ve also gotten hooked on the Expanse series, I’ve enjoyed all of those books (10, I think).
View Quote

The Expanse was 187 hours of awesome (except for the last two books)!

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't see Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series mentioned.  James Marsters does an excellent job of narrating.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
Currently listening to Patrick O’Brian’s Jack Aubrey series now.
View Quote

I envy you with this being your first go. Patrick Toll's narration was icing on that cake.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Martlet:

I commute 90 minutes each way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Martlet:
Originally Posted By Precious87:

It's a "before bed" thing for me (severe insomnia), maybe listen 2-3hrs a night.

I commute 90 minutes each way.

If I'm on a commute or road trip, i have an audiobok on. It's a great mix with driving. It makes a long drive more enjoyable. You can be totally engaged with the car, your surroundings and the story, simultaneously.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 45 minute drive and I love them.  I dig the Bill O'Reilly Killing series, I'm currently listening to Killing Kennedy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#13]
435 titles in my library. Almost entirely fiction but it’s all in the name of entertainment for me. Needless to say, if I recommend it the narrator is excellent. Anyhow, I’m starting to collect my favorites in physical book form so I can be a sophisticated dude with a library full of books I’ve never technically read

I always recommend the Undying Mercenaries series. 20 books now. Nothing complex and is one of those series that’ll never end but it’s a great read.

Currently listening to BUY MORT and I’m enjoying it a lot. Think the apocalypse brought to you by inter-dimensional Jeff Bezos’s wet dream.

I’m a massive gamelit and litRPG fan. Some people find it corny but they’re my favorite genres. Vainqueur the Dragon is my all time favorite, semi-satirical and funnier than hell. Beware of Chicken and Heretical Fishing are two great series to dip a toe into if you just want some slice of life anime type of stuff.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#14]

@Voland

What was the name of that author?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Voland:
Wow... I'm really dumb... I just now realized that they have a built in front site. I always run just the rear and a flip up irons. I'll have to give the built in iron site a try since for me, it's truly a backup only...

@Voland

What was the name of that author?

DOH! I swear I was in the right thread when I posted that...

Anyway, to contribute to this thread, I really like "we are legion, we are bob"
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Been a fan of Scott Sigler for over 15 years. His GFL series is fun (football with alien races). He does a lot of horror-scifi too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I listen to 1.5-2 a week, depending on length. I will listen to fiction but prefer nonfiction.

Fiction series/authors I've liked- Jack Carr, Jack Reacher, Phillip Kerr, Brad Thor, David Baldacci, James Lee Burke.

Nonfiction usually follows reccomendations from friends or coworkers. Currently reading Empire of the Southern Moon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

I envy you with this being your first go. Patrick Toll's narration was icing on that cake.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
Currently listening to Patrick O’Brian’s Jack Aubrey series now.

I'm only on the second book so I have a way to go. I feel like I need to stop occasionally to look up some of the old English.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:31:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mamacujo] [#18]
Undying Mercenaries and Rebel Fleet series by B.V. Larson
First Colony series by Ken Lozito
The Martian and Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (I wasn't crazy about Artemis)
Einstein's Fridge by Paul Sen
Saturn Run by John Sanford and Ctein
Several books about Robert Oppenheimer
Several books about Chernobyl

Red - My Uncensored Life in Rock by Sammy Hagar  The book was very funny and an interesting look into the concerts I was attending in the 70's.

Mustaine - A Heavy Metal Memoir by Dave Mustaine. He is also a funny guy.

I have a mixture of genres in my list.

ETA I have a lot of favorite authors like Heinlein, Clarke, Pournelle, Niven, Pohl, Varley, etc.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Me!

I love reading, but I just don't have the time. So I listen to audiobooks on my commute to and from work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I was heavily into audio books a few years ago when I had a daily 90 minute commute - you could really go through books on a commute like that.  So I wouldn't completely forget what I listned to I'd take a couple notes after I finished my drive.

I use Audible primarily with some purchased through Chirp.  If you've got patience the local library normally has a place to sign up for audiobooks for free but they have limited titles and often there's a waitlist.

Some of my favorites:
- The Martian by Andy Weir by read by Wil Wheaton
- The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe read by Denis Quaid (he's a fantastic narrator)
- James Reece series by Jack Carr read by Ray Porter who is my favorite narrator by far.  Easy to listen to, uses different voices to differentiate the characters.
- The Storyteller by Dave Grohl read by Dave Grohl - awesome way to listen to a person's fascinating life story is by hearing them read it...
- The Bomber Mafia by Malcolm Gladwell read by Malcolm Gladwell - its the first audiobook I've listened to that started as an audiobook and isn't just a book someone read.  All the quotations from people in the book are actual audio clips of them speaking.  Like an documentary in audiobook form.

One of the worst:
A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan read by Clive Chafer - this narrator ruins an amazing book... He reads 6 or 8 sentences without breathing so there are no natural pauses in his speech - its just very awkward and hard to process since it is so unnatural.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#21]
The entire Galaxy's Edge series (plenty of books out there now and they just released Book 1 of their Season 3). The main books are narrated by RC Bray (also one of my fave narrators as recommended here).

Their inspirations are easily identifiable which should suck in anyone 40+ age range. They also nail the "coincidences" for the future compared to our reality albeit just much further into the future. Tom Clancy was one of their biggest inspirations the authors mentioned.

Dungeon Crawler Carl I picked up due to recommendation from someone here and I absolutely love it! It's hilarious and is just a fun listen. (Goddammit Donut!)
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Voland:

DOH! I swear I was in the right thread when I posted that...

Anyway, to contribute to this thread, I really like "we are legion, we are bob"
View Quote

The Bobiverse was excellent!
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Master_Shake:
I currently have a job with a lot of downtime so I listen to 1-2 audiobooks per week. If you are in the military, you can download an app called Libby then link to the MWR library to it. That gives you access to almost 70,000 audiobooks for free. I still have a subscription to Audible because a lot of the books in the MWR library have a wait time.
View Quote

As a retiree, I still have access to the MWR library. You, sir, are the man!
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#24]
The entire Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist is available on audiobook. It's fucking EPIC.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Master_Shake:
I currently have a job with a lot of downtime so I listen to 1-2 audiobooks per week. If you are in the military, you can download an app called Libby then link to the MWR library to it. That gives you access to almost 70,000 audiobooks for free. I still have a subscription to Audible because a lot of the books in the MWR library have a wait time.

You can access Libby from your local library in many places, too.  

I'm not sure how that affects availability or wait times, though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Mak_380:
I didn't see Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series mentioned.  James Marsters does an excellent job of narrating.

View Quote

I mentioned it back on page 1.

James Marsters does an amazing job, with the exception of the pronunciation of Marcone's name in the first book.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#27]

James Marsters does an amazing job, with the exception of the pronunciation of Marcone's name in the first book.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mak_380:

How dare you bring facts into GD !
😀
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#28]
If you like sci-fi read the Criag Alanson expeditionary force series. Ones of my favorites
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top