Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cedjunior:

Accelerometers register that there's been movement and that's it.  It doesn't record the previous location and the new location in any way that can be shown on a map like GPS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
Originally Posted By CypressCity:

If you think that stuff is only in the border and will only be used there .... I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you on the cheap.

At this point, I wouldn't trust the device if I couldn't pull it's only power source out.

I suspect that's why we're starting to see phones like pine and purism with switches that physically turn those functions off.

yeah, or get a good faraday bag.

Even if the bag works as advertised, if your device has an accelerometer inside it, as soon as you pull it out of the bag, it can squawk where it was to the network.

Also, fun stuff like ... you can bet the boys at TAO are working like mad to implment reading your fingerprint off your touchscreens and grabbing all that info out of the archives to add biometric confirmation to the backlogs:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=2708255&tl=-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Your-fingerprints-can-be-recreated-from-the-sounds-made-when-you-swipe-on-a-touchscreen

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/cyber-security/your-fingerprints-can-be-recreated-from-the-sounds-made-when-you-swipe-on-a-touchscreen-researchers-new-side-channel-attack-can-reproduce-partial-fingerprints-to-enable-attacks

https://www.ndss-symposium.org/wp-content/uploads/2024-618-paper.pdf

... stuff like this is why every vehicle that has these signals is said to be trackable across the entire globe.

ETA: The point is that the only way to even begin to win the game is not to play it at all.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/q96zH.png

No offense but accelerometers (and magnetometers) that are in cell phones are not even remotely good enough to be able to track where you've been more than a minute or two. Their drift rate is just too high. It's why phones used as autopilots use GPS to correct the INS solution (and even the open-source autopilots that have better accelerometers and magnetometers than most cell phones also use GPS).

Accelerometers register that there's been movement and that's it.  It doesn't record the previous location and the new location in any way that can be shown on a map like GPS.

Integrating the accelerations over time can yield velocity and integrating velocity over time can yield position changes. The problem is the drift in the accelerometers is high enough that the dual-level integrations fall apart beyond a minute or two, thus the reason why GPS is used to "correct" the integration. So, if the cell phone is put in a Faraday bag and GPS is cut off, just magically pulling it out of the bag won't mean the phone will know where it's been, especially if it's been in the bag a while.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 10mmManiac:

He is referring to a transponder chip. Most folks don't realize there is a second battery on the board in the phone that acts like a CMOS battery. That allows certain parts of the phone to be activated despite the main battery being removed.
View All Quotes

I'm not sure what a "transporter" is but to "reply when pinged" either requires power (which it won't have if the battery is not installed") or is a type of RFID (which is passive but extremely limited in both range and utility).

He is referring to a transponder chip. Most folks don't realize there is a second battery on the board in the phone that acts like a CMOS battery. That allows certain parts of the phone to be activated despite the main battery being removed.

A phone with a removable battery? What is this? 2014? Eww.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

I'm not sure what a "transporter" is but to "reply when pinged" either requires power (which it won't have if the battery is not installed") or is a type of RFID (which is passive but extremely limited in both range and utility).

C'mon man, don't you know that with a transporter chip, the Enterprise can beam you up from anywhere on Earth?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:
Anyone holding onto any illusions of anonymity in an increasingly ELINT saturated environment is retarded.
View Quote

Big Brother thanks everyone for making it easy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ApacheScout:
Something tells me this isn't used to stop illegals from pouring across the border but will be used against Americans.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

187%
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

A phone with a removable battery? What is this? 2014? Eww.

Kharn
View Quote

Why do you think many moved to the non-removable battery. Not just for a slimmer model ya know. Can't have those pesky civilians turning off phones making things more difficult
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:50:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: planemaker] [#7]

View All Quotes

What parts of the phone could be activated that wouldn't require a lot more power than a little button cell like battery on the motherboard could provide? Seems to me like with phone makers not making removable batteries anymore, having a "secondary" battery is a waste of space and adds unnecessary complexity (and would add to the cost basis for the manufacturer).

ETA: Addressed while I was typing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
If it emits it can and likely is already tracked, even if generally passive like an RFID.

Spoofing those signals is the next big thing. You can place them where you want when you want too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#9]

If you think that stuff is only in the border and will only be used there .... I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you on the cheap.

At this point, I wouldn't trust the device if I couldn't pull it's only power source out.

I suspect that's why we're starting to see phones like pine and purism with switches that physically turn those functions off.
View Quote

Interested.  There's one in Baltimore that needs replacing.

Not to minimize the story, but that's been a no duh security hole with Bluetooth for a while.  What might be new is the collecting of the data at scale, but my memory tells me that Bluetooth IDs were used to track down COVID lockdown scofflaws in 2020/1.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rDigital:
They can also produce a unique ID of your vehicle with the TPMS signals from your tires.
View Quote

1998 shitbox for the win!!  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there any way these fuckers aren't tracking us?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
Transponder. That was a typo.

A good way to think of it is like an RFID but longer range (not sure what the exact specs are) but it was mandated after 9/11 and the cleanup of the towers.
its built into every cellular baseband.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Something tells me this isn't used to stop illegals from pouring across the border but will be used against Americans.
View Quote

First time? Technology developed to be used against foreign terrorists, and then Biden-designated* "domestic terrorists" is being used against criminal invaders in the interim.

https://www.governmentcontractswon.com/department/defense/lechmotoren_gmbh_327210605.asp?yr=15

*Cough, J6, cough
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's the NOTUS article:

https://www.notus.org/technology/war-zone-surveillance-border-us

Calderon said the county purchased a “very restricted” version of TraffiCatch compared to what governments abroad have purchased. There is a version of the technology that can capture even more information about phones than just Bluetooth and Wi-Fi identifiers. A second person who has seen Jenoptik’s demo confirmed such a model exists.
View Quote

"abroad"

DOUBT

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Jokes on them. I wrap my car in aluminum foil and take the long way to work everyday. You'll never catch the tater
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:12:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SimonPhoto] [#16]
Originally Posted By Wildfowler:
How far does Bluetooth transmit its signal from your cell phone and how many receivers does this law-enforcement system depend on to work?

I'm not suggesting that it's easy to slip through the system but I'm more curious to simply know the answer to my question.

View Quote

The spec says 10m, if memory serves.

… but as of like a week and a half ago, it’s been successfully tested at a range of ~370 miles - straight up. They demonstrated connecting to a consumer Bluetooth device from space.

Source
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:13:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAK] [#17]
Just assume you are always being watched, tracked, and you devices are being monitored. If you are worried about it, then you are probably doing something illegal or immoral.  

Ever get that message on your smart phone saying location accuracy can be improved by turning on wifi?  Well, when Google maps streets, they are storing a lot more than just pictures your house. The capture every WiFi SSID, signal strengths, and other info. It becomes part of their mapping database.

With the right software, a modern wifi router with beam shaping has the capacity to detect how many people are in a room, roughly where they are, and their respiration rates.  This does not require you to have a device on your person.

Google ARGUS or check out  Argus 2013  They stopped talking publicly about this technology almost 10 years ago.  Who wants to bet on what the current technote is?

Have a toll tag?  Think the turnpike is the only place with readers?

Worried about the data your car may be collecting on you?  Well, you are probably not worried enough.

The capability to collect, store, and analyze date is beyond the comprehension of most folks.  If you are willing to pay to mine the data, incredible things are possible and we know .gov likes to spend our money.
Think about all the things discussed in this tread and consider that it is possible to pull stored data from all those sources together and analyze it.

Somewhere all your family cell phones have already been matched up to your home and your vehicles, if your car has an enabled cellular data connection.

Go to Apple, Amazon, Google, and your ISP and request a download of all the info they maintain about you.  

What I got from Amazon alone was staggering...almost 2,700 files containing over 405 MB of data.  It would take days and days just to skim though it.  Take my wife's Kindle as an example...they store every wifi network it has ever detected (not just connected to), every word she has highlighted in a book, every phrase searched, and where she is and how long she used the device each time it is turned on.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:

… but as of like a week and a half ago, it’s been successfully tested at a range of ~370 miles - straight up. They demonstrated connecting to a consumer Bluetooth device from space.

Source
View Quote

Using a directional, the best I could get was 1200'. Some minor obstructions but I was trying to test how data was being pulled from an inline device.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:
Anyone holding onto any illusions of anonymity in an increasingly ELINT saturated environment is retarded.
View Quote

LoL, you’re talking to people who brag on the forum about their GPS, wifi and Bluetooth enabled thermals scopes even after ATN helped the feds bust people for ITAR violations when the devices phoned home on their own and tattled.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By UV18:

Using a directional, the best I could get was 1200'. Some minor obstructions but I was trying to test how data was being pulled from an inline device.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UV18:
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:

Source

You probably weren't using a dish the size of a football field that cost an appreciable percentage of a government agencies' budget for the year in which it was launched.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#21]
if you arent committing crimes you probably dont care about this. also you probably have your cellphone on and they can track you with your cell tower pings, even if you disable gps and bluetooth. if you are smuggling something the answer is simple, dont carry any bluetooth device, phone (or turn it off and put it in a shielded bag), make sure the vehicle you are in doesnt have a bluetooth or wifi device (buy an old truck or something).

and regardless i suspect that they have cameras on the roads that capture license plates.

im less concerned about government tracking than social media tracking that provides annoying popups and so forth so i disable a lot of stuff, turn off bluetooth, wifi when out of the house and gps. if the government wants to track you they will. not much you can do about it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
I’m one of those guys who just plays one song and puts it on repeat when I drive. I hope that song is in their head all day.
View Quote

Ive been breaking rocks in the hot sun...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#23]
They are using all this to track us citizens but not the illegals.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

sheese. this is simply crap. a second hidden battery that powers your cell phone if you disconnect the battery? give me a break. this crap has been around for a long time. and btw, you CAN get smartphones and flipphones with removable batteries. they are usually ultra-rugged versions of smartphones, or mobile smartpads where its necessary to have backup batteries in the field. so get one of those and remove the battery if you are concerned.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]

AI is likely already being used to suppliment the human analyists for the purposes of flagging and trackign people at scale.

They basically admitted ... I guess over a decade now? That they had a backu copy of everything that touched the internet for five years. That will only have grown, because storage has expanded and gotten cheaper and a lot faster.

Anything that can later be gotten out of that data puts you at risk.

I'd be shocked if the concept of ex post facto laws being used doesn't go right out the window.

If it hasn't already.
View Quote

This is how Parallel Reconstruction came to be. They snoop and find things they shouldn’t know without a warrant and then start investigating from another angle to get probable cause to jam you up for what you did.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Klee:

1998 1985 shitbox for the win!!  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Klee:
Originally Posted By rDigital:
They can also produce a unique ID of your vehicle with the TPMS signals from your tires.

1998 1985 shitbox for the win!!  

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:This data collection is possible because all Bluetooth devices regularly broadcast a Bluetooth Device Address. This address can be either a public address or a random address. Public addresses don’t change for the lifetime of the device, making them the easiest to track. Random addresses are more common and have multiple levels of privacy, but for the most part change regularly (this is the case with most modern smartphones and products like AirTags.)
View Quote

Just wait until they start droning people based on this information.

Oh wait -- that is just crazy talk, right?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#28]
This significant expansion of surveillance state overreach in border communities was made possible, in part, thanks to funding from Operation Stonegarden, a federal grant program that incentivizes local police departments to assist border patrol efforts. Last year alone, Stonegarden awarded $90 million to law enforcement agencies in Texas and other border states.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#29]
The tech for tracking phones that are looking for BT or WiFi is AT LEAST a decade old.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Ohhh, my sweet, sweet summer child….. the things you don’t know….
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#31]
If the feds are really after you, there are too many ways they can do it than you’re likely able to find.  It’s unfortunate, but it’s one of the bad consequences of technology.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Lol
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

His statement is correct as it’s written.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Buy a Garmin and a couple of Doogee S51’s. Be smart in how you set them up and use them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#35]
This is the sort of thing that makes me believe we need to rethink the doctrine that there's no expectation of privacy in public. That may have made sense when the only witnesses were human and it was relatively easy to ensure your privacy by looking around, but when our society is getting to be a panopticon controlled (or at least accessible) to the government, where every move you make can be tracked & recorded, those movements analyzed & outliers marked, hell "mind-reading" by examining external markers...dystopian doesn't even come close to describing where we're heading.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By scrum:

If the number of non-compliant people is sufficiently small, they stand out to the system as well.  We are rapidly reaching the point where the only way to win may be instead to not to play but to overplay by throwing the anarchy card.  Massive rolling DDOS against all these systems 24x7x365.
View Quote

This is the correct answer (kind of—not sure about the “anarchy” part). Intel is useless on its own. Manpower is limited, and can be overwhelmed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By norseman1:
All RF/electronic signals are being tracked ... just realize that.
View Quote

And expect that you are on camera and mic anywhere there's a smartphone, or near a road, or near  a car ...
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
All cellular phones manufactured after 2005 have a transporter that replies when pinged.

this includes flip phones and will reply if powered on or off.. batter installed or not.
View Quote

Soldering irons are wonderful.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Josh:

Lol
View Quote

Shhhh let me have my fun
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#40]

No offense but accelerometers (and magnetometers) that are in cell phones are not even remotely good enough to be able to track where you've been more than a minute or two. Their drift rate is just too high. It's why phones used as autopilots use GPS to correct the INS solution (and even the open-source autopilots that have better accelerometers and magnetometers than most cell phones also use GPS).
View All Quotes

Even if the bag works as advertised, if your device has an accelerometer inside it, as soon as you pull it out of the bag, it can squawk where it was to the network.

Also, fun stuff like ... you can bet the boys at TAO are working like mad to implment reading your fingerprint off your touchscreens and grabbing all that info out of the archives to add biometric confirmation to the backlogs:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=2708255&tl=-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Your-fingerprints-can-be-recreated-from-the-sounds-made-when-you-swipe-on-a-touchscreen

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/cyber-security/your-fingerprints-can-be-recreated-from-the-sounds-made-when-you-swipe-on-a-touchscreen-researchers-new-side-channel-attack-can-reproduce-partial-fingerprints-to-enable-attacks

... stuff like this is why every vehicle that has these signals is said to be trackable across the entire globe.

ETA: The point is that the only way to even begin to win the game is not to play it at all.

I hope you're right but at this point I don't see the sanity in thinking otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:38:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#41]

View All Quotes

GPS when you turn off, accelerometer data when out of contact, GPS when you turn on. ETA: and a clock.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:39:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#42]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
If you broadcast it freely with no expectation of privacy, no warrant is required to record it.

Kharn
View Quote

You're forgetting something.

Consent.

We didn't consent for it to be broadcast. We aren't allowed to control if we do.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:42:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#43]
Originally Posted By NAK:
Just assume you are always being watched, tracked, and you devices are being monitored. If you are worried about it, then you are probably doing something illegal or immoral.
View Quote
This.

This right here.

That is the most ignorant and destructive thing that's usually said in these discussions and the cause of more grief than almost anything else.

It is more ignorant of human nature than literal communism.

It's dumber than thinking everyone will work if you give everyone a wage for not working.

We live with human beings, not angels.

Stop being stupid.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:44:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#44]
Originally Posted By SkullFarmer:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SkullFarmer:
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:This data collection is possible because all Bluetooth devices regularly broadcast a Bluetooth Device Address. This address can be either a public address or a random address. Public addresses don’t change for the lifetime of the device, making them the easiest to track. Random addresses are more common and have multiple levels of privacy, but for the most part change regularly (this is the case with most modern smartphones and products like AirTags.)

During the obama years they were choosing who to kill and who not to kill based solely on metadata from Elint. ETA: the daily drone assassinations.

When they were asked what metadata got you on that list, they refused to say.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By NAK:

Ever get that message on your smart phone saying location accuracy can be improved by turning on wifi?  Well, when Google maps streets, they are storing a lot more than just pictures your house. The capture every WiFi SSID, signal strengths, and other info. It becomes part of their mapping database.

With the right software, a modern wifi router with beam shaping has the capacity to detect how many people are in a room, roughly where they are, and their respiration rates.  This does not require you to have a device on your person.

Google ARGUS or check out  Argus 2013  They stopped talking publicly about this technology almost 10 years ago.  Who wants to bet on what the current technote is?

Have a toll tag?  Think the turnpike is the only place with readers?

Worried about the data your car may be collecting on you?  Well, you are probably not worried enough.

The capability to collect, store, and analyze date is beyond the comprehension of most folks.  If you are willing to pay to mine the data, incredible things are possible and we know .gov likes to spend our money.
Think about all the things discussed in this tread and consider that it is possible to pull stored data from all those sources together and analyze it.

Somewhere all your family cell phones have already been matched up to your home and your vehicles, if your car has an enabled cellular data connection.

Go to Apple, Amazon, Google, and your ISP and request a download of all the info they maintain about you.  

What I got from Amazon alone was staggering...almost 2,700 files containing over 405 MB of data.  It would take days and days just to skim though it.  Take my wife's Kindle as an example...they store every wifi network it has ever defected (not just connected to), every word she has highlighted in a book, every phrase searched, and where she is and how long she used the device each time it is turned on.
View Quote

How do you go about requesting from all those companies that information?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:19:27 AM EDT
[#46]
But they still don’t know who dropped the cocaine in the White House.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:
Buy a Garmin and a couple of Doogee S51’s. Be smart in how you set them up and use them.
View Quote

What is the purpose of having Doogee S51’s?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#48]
So turn your bluetooth off before you smuggle drugs across the border folks.

Also, if you are going to shoot a wolf in CO, make sure to leave your phone at home.
View Quote
"Off" is just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#49]
So what is the plan to stop it?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:36:17 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Will?
Page / 3
Top Top