User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/27/2024 10:22:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you gonna sue the instructor, the kid and/or Utah?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks sorry to hear your kids are going through that.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell him “that’s what happens when you let them take your back.”
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It sucks that the other kid was such a douche, but I guess it's better to find that out about people young and not get surprised by it when you're older.  Time to teach your kid some dirty fighting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell your kid to do this to the choker immediately at the start of next class:
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I'm sending him in a gorget tomorrow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Tell him "that's what happens when you let them take your back."
I'm sending him in a gorget tomorrow.

If he takes a lance, I doubt the kid will bother him.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TLD05] [#9]
I didn't know karate had chokes. I was up to a blue belt. We only did point sparing.

ETA: in the early 90s.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Choking in a karate class? I’m confused. I’m BJJ guy maybe the kid got lost..
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it a crime to accost and tell a minor in Utah that next time you’ll choke his ass out and piss on him?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask the kids parents if he has killed any pets.  Serial killers start small and ramp up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]
If that happened in my kids BJJ class that kid would be gone.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
It sucks that the other kid was such a douche, but I guess it's better to find that out about people young and not get surprised by it when you're older.  Time to teach your kid some dirty fighting.
View Quote

Or you could just pay some girls $5 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Cobra Kai! Tell your kid to sweep the leg.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Part of me says "this is why you keep training - so you learn how to keep a bully from choking you."

But until they're bigger, I would just have the instructor make sure they are not paired together again / or privately request the bully be barred from class.  

But "karate schools" are a dime a dozen.  You can go elsewhere as a last resort.

BJJ schools generally don't tolerate that shit at the kid level.  At all.  

Id see if the Bully is allowed back in before taking the next step - but pulling them from martial arts just means they'll be bullied by someone else later.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#19]
When I was a kid, there was a retard in my swimming class.  During a cross pool swim, he attempted to drown me with both hands on the back of my neck. I guess I heel kicked him in the face, cuz he had to be fished out of the pool?  My parents complained and retard wasn’t allowed in swimming class anymore.

Last year during BJJ, I got paired with a slightly crazy (she really liked me choking her) tiny Latina named Rose. While practicing some basic techniques, she kicked me very deliberately in the head. I stopped the action and communicated her error. Later she deliberately punched me in the face, so I demonstrated our size and strength difference by picking her up and locking in a rear naked choke. I spoke with the instructors and they approved of me policing my partner.

Your kid should have beat the ever living shit out of the choker. Like, grab his testicles and twist them until his family tree goes bonsai , then elbow him in the face until he’s lumpy and stupid.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ar15-joe:
If that happened in my kids BJJ class that kid would be gone.
View Quote

Same thing in my kid's Kung-fu class.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Tell your kid, next time don't tap out and start gouging eyes and crashing ears.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

View All Quotes

Or that, yes...  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Or that, yes...  
View All Quotes

Or that, yes...  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to help teach kids BJJ at my old school and taught adult BJJ while in law school. Refusing to release a submission is something people get banned from gyms for.

Tell the owner/instructor that you don't want this kid sparring with your boy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like your kid should learn to defend chokes better (slightly kidding). It’s the kids class, it happens. Let the instructor handle it.

Also, if you think tennis or karate is better time served for your kid, then don’t be upset when they grow up to be weak. Jiu-jitsu can be for everyone, but everyone can’t do jiu-jitsu.

Purple belt for reference.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Have your kids take out the choker. He isn't going to learn otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Time for a nice visit with the dad.

True Detective season 2: Colin Farrell beats "Ass-pen" father
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
Tell your kid to do this to the choker immediately at the start of next class:
https://media1.tenor.com/m/bRFCpSak_0MAAAAd/karate-kid-karate.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TLD05:
I didn't know karate had chokes. I was up to a blue belt. We only did point sparing.

ETA: in the early 90s.
View Quote

Some styles teach some chokes, I’ve seen it in Japan.

I believe we have a member who’s studded recently in Japan.

I’ve seen it with adults here in the states. It’s not common but unfortunately there are those out there doing that.

See how the Sensei decides to handle it. If he doesn’t meet your expectations, have a respectful meeting to understand his insight into it.

If that doesn’t meet your expectations, then the option is try another days / times or school.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#31]
The only answer is to find the dad and kick the dog shit out of him.  The kind of kick where he needs cosmetic dentistry and a cranial shunt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#32]
My son's wrestling squad has a "choker."

During practice, my son complained to me about getting choked when he was paired up for open mat.

I told him next time he's paired up for open mat, get the take down and as you're getting top control drive your forearm into his neck.  Hopefully, lesson learned.

Probably not the best advice, but I would rather him handle on the mat.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#33]
If he’s choking from behind tell your kid to give him a backwards head but right into his nose. He’ll learn
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#34]
In our gym that’s automatic membership termination regardless of age. I would not continue to take your kids to that school if they do not take training partner safety seriously.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Some kid wouldn't stop choking my kid even after he tapped out. (These are elementary school age kids) The instructor told the kid to stop and he wouldn't, so the instructor had to break the kid's grip on my kid's neck. My kid was pissed and sat out the rest of the class. When we went to leave he had problems talking and got pretty upset.

My other kid said the choker had been told he had "two strikes" before that but didn't know what happened. Choker has also jokingly thrown punches, but pulled short, at my other kid, I guess joking around.

We've had good luck in Utah. The kids are nice and the classes are fun. My kids have been thrown around by some pretty big kids but they just laugh. The place in NY seemed like it had more mean kids, I don't, maybe my kids were just younger.

I never took classes until I was 14 and never saw anyone have to be stopped choking someone. Maybe this shit happens in little kid classes but I haven't seen it before. I'm thinking about telling them my kids aren't wrestling with this kid anymore. I don't need my little kids getting choked unconscious. :/

My kids are in a ton of activities. I really think the time would be better spent on tennis lol. Oh my kids like karate better and want to keep going.
View Quote

Had a new kid with to much fire do the same at ours.  We're a top gym in comps.  All the kids decided to do nothing but arm bars and chokes on this one kid till he figured it out.  Most kids are emotional.   Mine have been preped for this,  it's why they take combatives.  They will learn to deal with the emotions over time.   You have to remember,  it's a fighting sport,  not soccer or t ball.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Some kid wouldn't stop choking my kid even after he tapped out. (These are elementary school age kids) The instructor told the kid to stop and he wouldn't, so the instructor had to break the kid's grip on my kid's neck. My kid was pissed and sat out the rest of the class. When we went to leave he had problems talking and got pretty upset.

My other kid said the choker had been told he had "two strikes" before that but didn't know what happened. Choker has also jokingly thrown punches, but pulled short, at my other kid, I guess joking around.

We've had good luck in Utah. The kids are nice and the classes are fun. My kids have been thrown around by some pretty big kids but they just laugh. The place in NY seemed like it had more mean kids, I don't, maybe my kids were just younger.

I never took classes until I was 14 and never saw anyone have to be stopped choking someone. Maybe this shit happens in little kid classes but I haven't seen it before. I'm thinking about telling them my kids aren't wrestling with this kid anymore. I don't need my little kids getting choked unconscious. :/

My kids are in a ton of activities. I really think the time would be better spent on tennis lol. Oh my kids like karate better and want to keep going.
View Quote

A good thumb to the eye is just about guaranteed to break any amateur's BJJ hold.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Take the choker out for pancakes.  Put a bottle of visine in his chocolate milk.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By XDONX3:
If he’s choking from behind tell your kid to give him a backwards head but right into his nose. He’ll learn
View Quote

Yeah, that like, won’t work. Tell us more about your lack of knowledge about head positioning with a rear naked choke.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By denverdan:
Choking in a karate class? I’m confused. I’m BJJ guy maybe the kid got lost..
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Bbodiford:
Sounds like your kid should learn to defend chokes better (slightly kidding). It’s the kids class, it happens. Let the instructor handle it.

Also, if you think tennis or karate is better time served for your kid, then don’t be upset when they grow up to be weak. Jiu-jitsu can be for everyone, but everyone can’t do jiu-jitsu.

Purple belt for reference.
View Quote

I’m also a purple belt, and I run the kids class at our gym. Any legitimate refusal to let go of a submission when they see or hear their partner tap is automatic membership termination.

This has only been an issue one time. If a kid can’t respect a tap they aren’t mature enough to train at our gym and are a huge liability/potential lawsuit.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Keep your boys in the class, they will thank you later when they can defend themselves and have higher self-esteem because they're confident and not scared of other people.

I'd have a talk with the teacher and tell him you don't want your boys sparing with him again, pretty simple fix.

Plus it's a lot of fun to watch little kids learn to fight.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Teach him "Monkey steals the peach"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I did talk to the young (maybe 20) assistant instructor at the end but it was like two seconds between classes. He said he had a problem with the other kid not releasing my kid and that he would talk to him.

I like this kid teaching the class. The head guy is a 50 ish guy, who I think might be a school teacher. The kid instructor is great with the kids normally. I think I'm going to talk to him (the kid instructor) say no more matches with this choker kid and tell my kids no more matches with this kid.
View Quote

Good idea.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#45]
obvious answer is to dominate the dojo..

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jwr6:

A good thumb to the eye is just about guaranteed to break any amateur's BJJ hold.
View Quote

Depends there’s certain things a proficient jujitsu practitioner should be doing to mitigate some of that but like all martial artists, everyone fails to master fundamentals but yeah I’ve used it in a streetfight against a jujitsu guy who assumed he was proficient
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By EconProf:

I’m also a purple belt, and I run the kids class at our gym. Any legitimate refusal to let go of a submission when they see or hear their partner tap is automatic membership termination.

This has only been an issue one time. If a kid can’t respect a tap they aren’t mature enough to train at our gym and are a huge liability/potential lawsuit.

View Quote

Dang, it’s almost like they’re at a place where they could be taught discipline and an understanding of how to do things the right way instead of immediately kicking them to the curb.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I did talk to the young (maybe 20) assistant instructor at the end but it was like two seconds between classes. He said he had a problem with the other kid not releasing my kid and that he would talk to him.

I like this kid teaching the class. The head guy is a 50 ish guy, who I think might be a school teacher. The kid instructor is great with the kids normally. I think I'm going to talk to him (the kid instructor) say no more matches with this choker kid and tell my kids no more matches with this kid.
View Quote

Give the instructor some space to resolve the matter if you can
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FJB247:
Teach him "Monkey steals the peach"
View Quote

I haven't heard that one in a longtime lol, it works great.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:02:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#50]
I too had a purple belt. I wish I could play tennis, my wife can and it looks like more fun and better exercise. I guess I could fight her. She has a karate trophy from Junior high. Her mom actually had sai hanging on a wall in their old house.

I'm mostly joking about the tennis thing.
View Quote

When I met Jim Kelly he absolutely refused to do any martial arts with me, all he wanted to do was play tennis 🎾 like everyday
Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top